Monitor Audio RX6 alternative?

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I love these speakers but they are a bit out of my budget.. is there another floor standing alternative that's not fussy in room corners?

Any comments or pointers are gratefully received.

Current amp is an Audiolab 8000a mk2, which may well change to a Roksan K3 integrated. Front end is mainly digital by means of the CXN by Cambridge Audio. I do have a faithful Creek CD60 which sounds surprisingly good.

Thanks.

Stevie9 said:
Hi,

I love these speakers but they are a bit out of my budget.. is there another floor standing alternative that's not fussy in room corners?

Current amp is an Audiolab 8000a mk2, which may well change to a Roksan K3 integrated. Front end is mainly digital by means of the CXN by Cambridge Audio. I do have a faithful Creek CD60 which sounds surprisingly good.

Thanks.

Depends on your budget. I would be looking at MA BX5, although they are nearly as much as the RX6.

Alternatively look at Focal 714V. These have very similar tonal qualities to the MAs

The OP is suggesting that the RX6's are not fussy about corners. Not too sure where he got this information from.

In my opinion the speakers that are least fussy about positioning are those that were designed to be part of a 5 speaker home cinema set-up.

It would beg to question that, if he has to use them close to corners because of room size, why is he looking at floorstanders at all.

Al ears said:
The OP is suggesting that the RX6's are not fussy about corners. Not too sure where he got this information from.

In my opinion the speakers that are least fussy about positioning are those that were designed to be part of a 5 speaker home cinema set-up.

It would beg to question that, if he has to use them close to corners because of room size, why is he looking at floorstanders at all.

Having owned RS6s for many years I can say they aren't as fussy as some might think. I do think, however, it'll come down to two important aspects: Firstly, your amp needs to major in grippy bass. Secondly, your room acoustics needs to be on the benevolent side: No hard flooring and lots of soft furnishings.

That said, to er on the cautious side, I would still look at front ported/vented speakers such as PMC GB1is.

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Stevie9 said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Depends on your budget. I would be looking at MA BX5, although they are nearly as much as the RX6.

Alternatively look at Focal 714V. These have very similar tonal qualities to the MAs

Thanks for your recommendations.. I'm partial to the MA brand, but the Focal I've never heard of. The French making speakers ! Well I never... :)

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Erm.floorstanders won't do very well stuck in a corner as the op seems to want them sited as such.

Thanks for your feedback. I remember seeing that the RX6 have adjustable porting and are ok in corners. Anyway.. there is a little bit of wiggle room in my lounge, they won't be crammed into the corners.. there is a bit of air around them.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
If you'd really like RX6s and you have a budget of £700, why not just buy a pair of RX6s?

A pair on a well known auction site now for £500 buy it now.

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:

Having owned RS6s for many years I can say they aren't as fussy as some might think. I do think, however, it'll come down to two important aspects: Firstly, your amp needs to major in grippy bass. Secondly, your room acoustics needs to be on the benevolent side: No hard flooring and lots of soft furnishings.

That said, to er on the cautious side, I would still look at front ported/vented speakers such as PMC GB1is.

Thanks Plastic, I'll look those up too.

Having previously owned the silver rx6's. I remember they were quite forgiving and I did manage to get them reasonably close to the wall,but in the end up I had to return them as the bass was just a bit to much for my neighbours downstairs.lol.Also they did sacrifice that extra bit of detail I was used to with standmounts (even a few hundred quid cheaper units).Good build quality though and sounded better than the equivalent b&w's 684 of the time imo....and I quite like b&w's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts