my next step..

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a great system but I feel it could do with one more tweak.. and we do like tweaking !
I have a Creek CD60 and don't really see myself buying more cds.
I have a CXN network player and do see myself going this route mainly.
My amp is a super Audiolab 8000A mk2 which easily drives my Tannoy 611mk2. This amp does have bass and treble controls which I love. It's rare to find these on good amps.
I do like headphones so I am eyeing up the sennheiser N600's.I like open backed headphones. I will need a headphones amp I guess but which I don't know.
I don't need to go bigger or louder. My volume control never gets past 20%.
Should I utilize the pre amp of the 8000A and go with some power amps ? What would this tweak achieve?
If the speakers are the weak link then I always prefer floor standers.
All interconnects are Audioquest.
My music styles vary widely from Irish Folk to ambient to early choral music... Tallis scholars .. plus huge progressive electo...
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well Stevie, FWIW here is my opinion.

The combination of Audiolab and Tannoy is a bit forward and aggressive for my taste...though you may feel differently.

You haven't mentioned budget, but I would ditch the Audiolab and look at amp brands from Arcam, Rega, Creek, Abrahamsen, Electrocompaniet, Pathos, Creek, Analogue Audio, Unison Research Unico, Musical Fidelity and Sugden.

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Cnoevil,
You certainly have listened to a few amps. I've never really noticed it was an aggressive combo. Maybe because I've never really heard many other combos.
I'll certainly take that into consideration for my next step. I don't think I've heard the best out of the 611's yet.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Stevie9 said:
Cnoevil, You certainly have listened to a few amps. I've never really noticed it was an aggressive combo. Maybe because I've never really heard many other combos. I'll certainly take that into consideration for my next step. I don't think I've heard the best out of the 611's yet.

You should visit a dealer(s) and try different options, so you can discover your preferred presentation.

My advice is ALWAYS go for the sound you prefer. Reviews and other people's suggestions should only be used to help compile a shortlist. The only way to discover what you like, is get out there and listen to what is available.

TRENDING THREADS