Monitor Audio RX2 with Roksan/Rega

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As hi fi speakers I found the RS6s quite irritating. Quite a fizzy sound and not very relaxing. As front speakers for AV they were excellent.

The GS10 were far easier for longer listening.

With your budget another couple of hundred should get you close to the GX50s, and now using the new tweeter, they should be better.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Pure snobbery....prrrft.

seriously I have an old Yamaha AX-620 currently listening to a little Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder via the 'Hall DSP mode' and it sounds really groovy.

this old amp is also alot better than the Audiolab 8200A a 700poundish amp, had this amp in my home for nearly a month before sending it back. I now have a 700poundish Rotel 1520 that I don't know how to sell. Admitidly this amp is alot better than the Audiolab but its sound lacks midrange detail and timber agianst this old AV amp which also controls my speakers better too.

Many modern amps sound great in demos with the volume cranked up but in a domestic setting..... thats when we get talk of "synergy" and "carefull matching"....paah!....pure snobbery

You guys

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
No amount of room adjustment will make a crap amp sound good, but it might make a good amp sound like it should do. I haven't heard anything other than cheap budget amps that sounded better with tone controls, and all that had them (NAD 3130, 352, CA azur 640) were worse off with them deployed. I'm not against tonal changes, just that doing it in analogue doesn't make for great hi fi. Doing it in 64 bit digital is another thing altogether of course.

Sorry, but I disagree that a £300 receiver is even close to the best £700+ amps (Roksan, Naim etc) tone controls or not. Just my opinion of course :)

sorry forgot to quote, this is the post i'm responding to.....

oh, did I mention I have the bass boost button on, well I do.

SteveR750

Thompsonuxb said:
SteveR750 said:
No amount of room adjustment will make a crap amp sound good, but it might make a good amp sound like it should do. I haven't heard anything other than cheap budget amps that sounded better with tone controls, and all that had them (NAD 3130, 352, CA azur 640) were worse off with them deployed. I'm not against tonal changes, just that doing it in analogue doesn't make for great hi fi. Doing it in 64 bit digital is another thing altogether of course.

Sorry, but I disagree that a £300 receiver is even close to the best £700+ amps (Roksan, Naim etc) tone controls or not. Just my opinion of course :)

sorry forgot to quote, this is the post i'm responding to.....

oh, did I mention I have the bass boost button on, well I do.

Nope, not snobbery, just my subjective opinion from my own ears. I had a very good £300 amp in NAD C352, but it was not as good as the K2. The Onkyo to my ears was not as satisfying as the 352.

As it happens, I use DSP in J River, as it improves the sound without any the loss of audible quality (presumably through phase shifts etc from conventional analogue controls that afflicted the NAD amps, and the Azur that I owned briefly)

Like I said, I just use my ears to judge stuff designed to make noises. Simples, innit.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Rega RS1 are not boomy speakers, not fussy with positioning either. They are a very musical speaker and work great in my system!

i can't see why they wouldn't work with your amp, but ts been said many times you need to demo at home as your room acoustics, size etc play a part in how they sound.

eg I loved the neat motive 3 with my Brio in the shop, bought them but had to take them back as the bass was too much, however the Rega RS1 worked a treat so I got them, but up until then I had always discounted them.......big mistake!

i think the RX2 will need space to work properly though!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
shaunj_uk said:
So, has anyone actually got any Monitor Audio RX2's? If so, what do you think of them in terms of bass etc. Also, curious about the Rega RS1's?

Thanks

Shaun

The Rega’s are wonderfully detailed and clear speakers with great timing but I would have reservations with your main preference for rock music.

With the right source and amp they never miss a beat but the bass doesn’t extend very far and “tub thumpers” they most definitely aren’t. They are better suited to a smaller listening environment as they’re not exactly room fillers, and again with your preference for rock I feel that you would end up playing them at higher levels rather than more moderate ones.

shaunj_uk said:
Hi,

I currently have a Roksan K2 amplifier, Rega Apollo cd player and Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanders. I am looking to change the Monitor Audio's, just feel like trying standmounts, as the floorstanders seem bit too much for my room which is roughly 4m x 3m.

I have been looking at the Monitor Audio RX2's, they seem to be quite highly regarded, but will the bass on them be too much for my size room, as I dont like it too overpowering? I listen mostly to rock music, at moderate levels, but would like the speakers to go higher if needed without a struggle >) , hence me looking at the RX2's. My budget is around £450 new or second hand.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Kind Regards

Shaun

Okay, I have a similar size room to you and own RS6s, I can pretty much guarantee downsizing to Rega RS1s will be a rude awakening - they will sound thin and insubstantial*, given your room size and the type of music you like.

MA RX2 I've seen and they are eerily big for a standmounter, but like any standard speaker they'll need room to breath, probably more so the the RS6s.

Personally I'd be looking at ProAc Studio 115, Quad 12L2, PMC DB1is, Totem Dreamcatchers (these are being sold for under 600 squid at Audio-T). http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/totem-dreamcatcher-2295.aspx

*Rega make some fantastic equipment, which will match and better price-compatible standmounters. I'm sure they are fabulous little speakers. However, the key word is "little". As Sizzers has stated they are compromised, in the bass area, due their size.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
*Rega make some fantastic equipment, which will match and better price-compatible standmounters. I'm sure they are fabulous little speakers. However, the key word is "little". As Sizzers has stated they are compromised, in the bass area, due their size.

Nice catch after dismissing the Rega RS1s as 'thin and insubstantial'.

I have heard them on the end of a Naim CD5 XS/Nait XS system and they sounded fantastic.

plastic penguin said:
I'm sure they are fabulous little speakers...

So you haven't actually heard them?

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Nice catch after dismissing the Rega RS1s as 'thin and insubstantial'.

I have heard them on the end of a Naim CD5 XS/Nait XS system and they sounded fantastic.

plastic penguin said:
I'm sure they are fabulous little speakers...

So you haven't actually heard them?

C'mon Chebby. The 'thin and insubstantial' was in comparison with the RS6s, which are 'baby boomers' compared to standmounters. I know when I've had DB1is at home with Arcam amp and my Leema it took me a couple of days to fully adjust to not having crunching speakers.

No, haven't heard the RS1s (you and many other on here have highly recommended, and WHFI themselves). I'm not trying to put off the OP about exploring the little Regas, just alerting him/her the comparitive lack of bass may come as a shock.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My room is 3x4m, I play U2, floyd, Leftfield, massive attack....the RS1 have just the right amount of bass for me, I don't play at high volumes but am surprised about all the comments abut not enough bass....I find it ample!

I think the OP needs to audition at home, any speaker can sound bad in any particular room.

as I said before I really wanted the Neat Motive 3 but they didn't work in my room the RS1 do!

i am very surprised WHF have not reviewed the RS1' without being nical WHF get no advertising revenue at all from Rega but lots from Cyrus

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
i am very surprised WHF have not reviewed the RS1' without being nical WHF get no advertising revenue at all from Rega but lots from Cyrus
WHF? Have reviewed many Rega products, many of those have received 5 star reviews, some have received WHF? awards...

http://www.whathifi.com/search/apachesolr_search/Rega?filters=tid%3A588

(not bad given they don't advertise)

Just in the latest issue you will find a 5 star review of the Rega RP6 turntable with Rega Exact cartridge.

The Rega RS1s have been reviewed as part of 'same brand systems' group tests (group tests don't get featured on the website).

shaunj_uk

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Think I will leave the RX2's, seems like they will be too much of the same as the RS6's. Has anyone heard the Roksan K2 TR5 speakers, or Proac 110's? Could be out of these two.

Thanks

Shaun

shaunj_uk said:
Hi,

Think I will leave the RX2's, seems like they will be too much of the same as the RS6's. Has anyone heard the Roksan K2 TR5 speakers, or Proac 110's? Could be out of these two.

Thanks

Shaun

Roksan speakers could/should be ideal, however you'll need to strike a balance - I believe - when it comes to bass. http://www.whathifi.com/review/roksan-kandy-k2-tr-5

Whatever standmouter you choose won't give you the depth, but do compensate in the areas of detail and precision...

I know from personal experience on paper standmouters seem ideal, but in reality the added bass of the RS6 does give the presentation an added dimension.

My current favs are Totem Arros: They are a titchy floorstander, same height as the RS6s... around half the width and depth. You don't get the bloated sound of the RS6s, replaced by a tighter, crisper presentation, and they bang harder than the average standmounter. They do major in pin-point imaging and soundstage.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
shaunj_uk said:
Hi,

Thanks

Shaun

Roksan speakers could/should be ideal, however you'll need to strike a balance - I believe - when it comes to bass. http://www.whathifi.com/review/roksan-kandy-k2-tr-5

Whatever standmouter you choose won't give you the depth, but do compensate in the areas of detail and precision...

I know from personal experience on paper standmouters seem ideal, but in reality the added bass of the RS6 does give the presentation an added dimension.

My current favs are Totem Arros: They are a titchy floorstander, same height as the RS6s... around half the width and depth. You don't get the bloated sound of the RS6s, replaced by a tighter, crisper presentation, and they bang harder than the average standmounter. They do major in pin-point imaging and soundstage.

are you not saving for the Totem's?

ahem http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Totem-Arro-Speakers-/251157387969?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7a259ac1

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
these look in better nic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Totem-Arro-Floorstanding-Speakers-Preowned-/190720220996?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2c67cf9f44#ht_4754wt_922

might fit your decor

moon said:
these look in better nic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Totem-Arro-Floorstanding-Speakers-Preowned-/190720220996?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2c67cf9f44#ht_4754wt_922

might fit your decor

Those ones have been on ebay for ages - no-one wants them. They have a dodgy base.

Would love a pair but because of their narrow dimensions, you'd only have to sneeze and they'll topple.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
moon said:
these look in better nic

might fit your decor

Those ones have been on ebay for ages - no-one wants them. They have a dodgy base.

Would love a pair but because of their narrow dimensions, you'd only have to sneeze and they'll topple.

not kid friendly. or pet.

shaunj_uk

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I have got a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's from my second system in place of the RS6's at the moment and TBH I think even the bass on them is too much. I think its something to do with me hitting 30 the other week. My musical tatses must be changing.......!!

moon said:
plastic penguin said:
moon said:
these look in better nic

might fit your decor

not kid friendly. or pet.

Nope. Not recommended if you have dogs with big waggy tails or marauding 9 year olds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts