Monitor audio Pl100

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I have been offered the MA PL100 speakers with their dedicated bolt on stands for £1345 - a lot of money but a big discount on their new RRP.

They are completely unmarked and look stunning, but I' don't want to plump out £1345 merely for something that looks good. I am tempted to go for them but wondered if people had any idea on what amplification would get the best out of them. I know Monitor audio are sometimes seen as a little forward in the treble compared to say Spendors, and for that reason aren't considered to partner well with lean electronics (which Naim are often described as being). But I was thinking with those ribbon tweeters, this characteristic was less noticeable on the MA PL100, so that I'd get away with the Naim nait xs (which in itself has more texture and generally a more 'round earth' (whatever that means!) sound than earlier Naim amps.

The other speaker which I have been impressed by is the Proac D2, which is pretty much perfect for me, but is not available ex dem or s/h plus there's the extra cost of changing my stands to get the best from it. I was looking at getting the 1sc, but the example that's on fleabay isn't in the best of condition which I'd prefer - plus I'm pretty sure that the MA PL100 is better in terms of bass speed and depth too.

I have only heard the Pl100 on the end of leema pulse and stream atm, but hope to hear it with the XS soon - it's just that they don't stock Naim at Sevenoaks! What do you all reckon?!!

Cheers

John Duncan

I think Ketan would say "buy them and worry about the amp later" - I seem to recall they're one of his favourites at any price, perhaps he'll chip in and confirm. I've only heard them as rears (albeit in one of the demos that's left a biggest impression on me ever) so can't really advise.

But that's a very tempting price...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't class Naim as lean, not the newer stuff anyway. We've used most of the Platinum range on various Naim amps, and due to their ability to drive higher end speakers better than other equivalents, they work extremely well together. Unless you're on a budgetary constraint, I'd recommend looking at the 152xs/155xs pre/power - the MA's will thank you for it.

Having heard Leema, I found it to be not too dissimilar to Naim, but it was more expensive.

If you like the SC1's, try the D1's that have replaced them.

Audioholic:

I have been offered the MA PL100 speakers with their dedicated bolt on stands for £1345 - a lot of money but a big discount off their new RRP.

They are completely unmarked and look stunning, but I' don't want to plump out £1345 merely for something that looks good. I am tempted to go for them but wondered if people had any idea on what amplification would get the best out of them. I know Monitor audio are sometimes seen as a little forward in the treble compared to say Spendors, and for that reason aren't considered to partner well with lean electronics (which Naim are often described as being). But I was thinking with those ribbon tweeters, this characteristic was less noticeable on the MA PL100, so that I'd get away with the Naim nait xs (which in itself has more texture and generally a more 'round earth' (whatever that means!) sound than earlier Naim amps.

The other speaker which I have been impressed by is the Proac D2, which is pretty much perfect for me, but is not available ex dem or s/h plus there's the extra cost of changing my stands to get the best from it. I was looking at getting the 1sc, but the example that's on fleabay isn't in the best of condition which I'd prefer - plus I'm pretty sure that the MA PL100 is better in terms of bass speed and depth too.

I have only heard the Pl100 on the end of leema pulse and stream atm, but hope to hear it with the XS soon - it's just that they don't stock Naim at Sevenoaks! What do you all reckon?!!

Cheers

Hi Audioholic

If the PL100's are available at £1345 with the stands than i will advise you to go for them.

The Naim Nait XS is an excellent amplifier and will be fine (particularly with upgrade potential of power supply and power amp) with the PL100's however for a significant step up (and depending on your current budget) than please also consider (funnily enough from one of Monitor Audio's competitors) ATC's superb SIA2-150 MK2 integrated amplfier. I have mostly used it with the PL100's for almost three weeks now and this combination performs beautifully.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Rick, thank you very much! I have decided to go for the MA PL100 and am pretty excited to say the least! I have been considering so many different speakers - Sonus faber cremona auditor (which coincidentally were available at the same price) but I've decided on these PL100's despite all the review's 4 star ratings on them!!

Audioholic:Rick, thank you very much! I have decided to go for the MA PL100 and am pretty excited to say the least! I have been considering so many different speakers - Sonus faber cremona auditor (which coincidentally were available at the same price) but I've decided on these PL100's despite all the review's 4 star ratings on them!!

Hi Audioholic

Your welcome.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
buy them thats a bargain and they are great - I later added a sub for a little extra omph but for vocals they are amazing open fast and clean - really wide soundstage - will echo the what hi fi remarks thought that bad recording can sound awful also for example jayz last album has some distorted vocals on it and it sounds like your tweeters are shot!!!

A

Anonymous

you've been offered?

that wasn't on ebay was it? I saw a pair with stands going for that price...

oh and yeah, DO IT!

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it was on eBay - I bid and lost on the auction, but the highest bidder could not agree delivery terms because the winning bidder lived in Poland and decided insured delivery would be too difficult for where he lived. So I was offered the speakers as a second chance offer, which I've since agreed to and now paid for.

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Well, I now have these speakers in my system and they really are capable of some spine-tingling moments - on the album 'Call me irresponsible' by Michael Buble, on the first song, "The best is yet to come", the sound just really enveloped me and the force of the big band when it comes in took me by surprise! Reviews of these speakers tend to say how they lay bare a recording like it's potentially a negative attribute, exposing recording flaw etc but my viewpoint is that they are simply capable of maximising the glory of anything fed to them! Nina Simone's 'Feeling good' particularly stands out as impressive - the way her voice just quivers on the opening words "breeze drifting on by you know how i feel". I would agree with Whathifi - they don't exaggerate a recording, but i wouldn't say this level of refinement comes at the expense of enjoyment in anyway. The lack of emphasis is compensated by the beautiful way they can reproduce every nuance of detail. My one criticism of them is that I don't find them as involving at low volumes as I'd hoped, but you don't need to switch them up to volumes where it's impossible to hold a conversation for them to still entertain.

The attention given to the speakers dedicated stands and magnetic grilles and their sumptuous seems a league above anything else I've seen, especially for the price I got these speakers for!
Before I bought these speakers I was looking at getting a more powerful integrated amp, like the Moon i5 which I home demmed, but I'm really glad that for not dissimilar money I got these! All I can say about the moon amp was that it was a bit more controlled, generally warmer, and seemed to have smidgen more bass but despite it's power reserves, its addition didn't make me think wow - these speakers on the other hand, on almost every song do. I haven't exactly done the whole speaker upgrades in small steps, having leapfrogged from the entry Bronze range to the PL100, with just my Ruark standmounts in between! Of course I said my last speakers were great and bought new ones. I'm in a honeymoon period with these speakers undoubtedly, but the more I listen to them the more I realise that they can convey all music in its sheer expansiveness superbly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I assume they were from a private seller? Shame, we have some for £1295 (excluding stands though), which would've come with their full warranty.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them for a very long time, they're a great speaker, and a steal at this sort of price point.

Enjoy!

Audioholic:

I have been offered the MA PL100 speakers with their dedicated bolt on stands for £1345 - a lot of money but a big discount off their new RRP.

Cheers

You lucky rascal.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Jees - that price is amazing - I forked out £1900 with stands all brand new in ebony and have to say they are incredible --- if you like that kind of sound. What colours do you have?

FYI - if you like more exciting sound - I would get the A6's as there is a big bit missing with the 100's

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Mine are in rosewood. Are you talking about the Spendor A6? I'm not changing my speakers. I'm only using a naim integrated with limited power and they sound superb! In the future i might try some different amps, like class a sugden, copland, naim pre and power to see how they alter things but I'm in no rush.

A

Anonymous

Audioholic:Rick, thank you very much! I have decided to go for the MA PL100 and am pretty excited to say the least! I have been considering so many different speakers - Sonus faber cremona auditor (which coincidentally were available at the same price) but I've decided on these PL100's despite all the review's 4 star ratings on them!!

That's a great price for these.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts