Monitor Audio GX200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
visionary said:
charlesnancarrow said:
Just had a very brief demo of the GX 200s as I'm thinking of upgrading from my current MA RS8s. I listened (briefly) to them on the end of Cyrus CDxSE and 8XPd (I'll be using the Cyrus DAC xp+, and Mono Xs). The step up from the RS8s was immediately obvious. The mid to upper range of this speaker is delightful, really smooth and sparkly - bright, yes, but definately not harsh, with a very open presentation.

This just shows how subjective the whole thing is.

Last night I spent a few hours at Musicraft in Derby (thanks Rick) and listened to the GX200s and ATC SCM40s with a Plinius amp.

For me the MAs were so bright I felt my ears were being flayed. The bass felt a bit deeper than the ATCs but in all other respects I found the ATCs a more pleasing sound for me.

We listened to a mix including Stacey Kent, Alison Krauss, Dave Brubeck and some orchestral pieces including Also Sprach Zarathustra. Found the violins uncomfortable through the MAs. Dave Brubeck's piano was just sublime throught the ATCs

I was a fan of MA and pervious I owned a pair of RX1. In the course of upgrading my speakers, MA GX100 was on my favourate list. However after audition (using my own player and amp.) I can only say though GX100 is a good pair of all rounded speakers I found them "a bit" fatiquing on long time listening. That was why I eventually choose Spendor SA1 and top up the bass department by means of a sub-woofer (then the cost is almost double that of GX100). My conclusion it is that such combination is much more ear friendly than GX100 and the vocals are so real and pleasant to hear.

TRENDING THREADS