Monitor audio GS10 with Marantz 7001KI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently running the amp with Monitor audio BR2s and I think the speakers are the weak link. Will upgrading to the GS10s bring a worthwhile improvement. The reason I ask is becuase I have seen some ex demo ones for £200 off.

Alternatively would I be better saving up and waiting until I can afford the PMC DB1i?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hifibob:
I am currently running the amp with Monitor audio BR2s and I think the speakers are the weak link. Will upgrading to the GS10s bring a worthwhile improvement. The reason I ask is becuase I have seen some ex demo ones for £200 off.

Alternatively would I be better saving up and waiting until I can afford the PMC DB1i?

The GS10s will give you a massive improvement.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. They are a bit too far away for me to be convenient to demo. I might see if I can get them delivered on a sale or return basis.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've just heard the DB1i again not long ago with a small selection of components. Imo it has an outstanding tweeter and lovely open mids as well as reasonably good drive. Where it is'nt so hot is bass. It sounds 'wrong'. I think its again an example of trying to wring to much bass out of a small enclosure/driver which are just not capable of producing real bass. It sounds strangely damped/muddled and slow down below. Difficult to describe but when changing to something that is able to make good bass its immediately obvious. I'd be inclined to go the MA way or, as an alternative, listen to Rega R3's which I would imagine, balance the slightly laid back KI very nicely. I wrote a few words about them a day or two ago.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I can not consider the R3s becuase they do not meet aesthetic acceptablity criteria, if you know what I mean. I can only consider standmount speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I do that as soon as I have an opportunity. I forgot you have the PMC's JD. What I said probably came over as overtly negative but they are very good speakers, particularely with naim. Why dont you do your own personal detailed review of both? Started a thread a couple of days ago and I would be interested what you think and what the differences are. Get yer pen out.

John Duncan

Yes, have considered this, and I would never take anything you didn't like about the PMCs (which I'm getting the impression are rather different in their 'i' form) as a personal affront. Am just not sure I can describe hifi in the right terms. Current state of play though is that the AVIs are becoming a permanent fixture, primarily because, whilst I think they're bass-light compared to the PMCs, they have actually got my wife trying music on the stereo to see how good it sounds, and she thinks they're beautiful in comparison, which makes it a probably the best piece of hifi I've ever bought
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Now I definitely envy you JD. My speakers would have to sprout little branches that grow money before my gf would be interested. Either that or I bring home a special new invisible speaker that cannot be seen but sounds as good. Even then she'd forget and move on to her piano. Fair play I s'pose.

Your comments remind me about my SA1s (surprise surprise). They're bass light but what you do get is very good, tuneful and perfectly balanced. You soon forget about the lack of depth and just enjoy the punch and rhythm. Maybe you could try the Proac SC1s with your Primare kit as they'd probably give you a nice open presentation. Failing that maybe the SA1s would lift the amount of detail you get compared to the AVIs. No idea really, just throwing ideas around, ones you probably don't need given the recent purchase :) What a hobby!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Now I definitely envy you JD. My speakers would have to sprout little branches that grow money before my gf would be interested. Either that or I bring home a special new invisible speaker that cannot be seen but sounds as good. Even then she'd forget and move on to her piano. Fair play I s'pose.

Your comments remind me about my SA1s (surprise surprise). They're bass light but what you do get is very good, tuneful and perfectly balanced. You soon forget about the lack of depth and just enjoy the punch and rhythm. Maybe you could try the Proac SC1s with your Primare kit as they'd probably give you a nice open presentation. Failing that maybe the SA1s would lift the amount of detail you get compared to the AVIs. No idea really, just throwing ideas around, ones you probably don't need given the recent purchase :) What a hobby!

Yes, seems Mr Duncan is following in TM's footsteps as serial upgrader. Talking of which, he's been strangely quiet lately. Wonder how he's getting on with downgrading?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts