Monitor Audio GS10 vs Monior Audio RX1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
There have been similar threads before, but none that I can find that specifically compare these two speakers.

My question: Which is the better speaker? Monitor Audio GS10 vs Monitor Audio RX1

The RX1 is a current silver series speaker, the GS10 is an old gold series speaker.

Price wise, I can get the Monitor Audio GS10 about 7-8% cheaper than the Monior Audio RX1... so price is not an issue between them as they are practically the same price.

I am also considering getting the considerably cheaper Monitor Audio BX2, but obviously it is the cheapest of these 3, and the sound quality will be less than the other two.

If anybody has specifically heard these two speakers, I would love to hear your opion :)

My current speakers are Mission M33i floorstanders... I would also like to know how all 3 of those Monitor Audio speakers compare to it.

Thanks very much! :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The GS10's will be a better speaker than the RX1's, but I'd say a fairer comparison would be against the RX2's. I wouldn't say they're poles apart, but the GS10's are tighter, and in my opinion, slightly more neutral. Neither are harder than the other to drive, but they GS10's do like quality amplification.

Which amplifier are you currently using? And will you be upgrading at any point in the future?

Mr_Speedy said:
There have been similar threads before, but none that I can find that specifically compare these two speakers.

My question: Which is the better speaker? Monitor Audio GS10 vs Monitor Audio RX1

The RX1 is a current silver series speaker, the GS10 is an old gold series speaker.

Price wise, I can get the Monitor Audio GS10 about 7-8% cheaper than the Monior Audio RX1... so price is not an issue between them as they are practically the same price.

I am also considering getting the considerably cheaper Monitor Audio BX2, but obviously it is the cheapest of these 3, and the sound quality will be less than the other two.

If anybody has specifically heard these two speakers, I would love to hear your opion :)

My current speakers are Mission M33i floorstanders... I would also like to know how all 3 of those Monitor Audio speakers compare to it.

Thanks very much! :)

Hi Mr_Speedy

I would grateful if you could help with the following please -

How would you describe the performance/presentation of your current system?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

your source component/s, amplifier, interconnects and speaker cables are?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Will you use the speakers across or the length of the room?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

Your general listening level?

With a change of speakers what ares of improvement are you looking for over the M33i's and for the kind of presentation you are looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

As you will see by the component list, the system is at the very edge of being classified as HiFi at all.

I listen to a wide variety of music, which includes rock, rap, tehcno, pop.

Source and other components (which will eventually be replaced to match the speakers):

Source: Computer sound card: Asus Xonar D1 (will probably sell it and get a nice USB DAC)

Amplifier: Yamaha AX-500 (2 x 80W RMS)

Interconnects:

Amplifier > Speakers Jamo speaker wire 2.5mm (biwired)

Sound card > Amplifier Hama gold plated interconnect cable 3.5mm > 2 x RCA

Subwoofer: Magnat Omega 300 (12 inch sub).... (seems to be something wrong with it, will sell or get it serviced).

Listening distance will be quite close to the speakers depending on what Im doing:

Using computer = 1m distance, listening to music = 3m distance.

Room size: 16-18m2, carpet, relatively heavily furnished

New speakers will be about 20cm from the wall (not near the corners). There will be nothing between the speakers. Speakers will be about 1.2m apart from each other.

The speakers will be stand mounted (stands will be made by my father according to the optimal height which I have yet to determine).

Because I live in an apartment, the general listening level will not be very loud. Quiet to medium loudness.

The general improvements that I would like in comparision to the M33i's are overall clarity, and perhaps slightly deeper bass extension. (Mission M33i = 48Hz, MA GS10 = 42Hz). Bookshelf speakers will give me more flexibility to more properly position the speakers. I am not happy with the sound quality of my subwoofer, so I will most probably sell it and have the new Monitor Audio speakers as my only speakers. I also expect an improvement in stereo imaging/soundstage.

I know absolutely everything is below optimal, but I have to start somewhere. In time the other components will be upgraded, and the speakers will be able to show their full potential.

Thank you both for your replies :)

Only heard the GS10s and they are very good indeed. TBH, I'd say there's little difference between them and other price-compatible standmounters, such as Ruark Sabre III, PMC DB1is. More of a question of which suits your set-up the best will determine the best speaker.

Although I've not heard RX range, the people I've spoken to and guys on here, tend to fall into the GSs camp when a comparison is needed.

A

Anonymous

Well.... that is what I suspected.... that most people prefer the GS10 to the RX1...

It seems that I can't go wrong with either speaker, but since the GS10 is slightly cheaper at the store I intend on buying at, and is most probably the better speaker, the decision is not a hard one... the GS10 wins.

If I decide to stretch my budget I will get the MA GS10, if not I will get the considerably cheaper MA Bronze BX2. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts