MONITOR AUDIO DEALERS. GX 50 - GX100. SOUND ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hello David, Any update on how the gx 50 and 100,s are burning in ? How are they measuring up too the compition ?

plastic penguin said:
I've always thought the RSs stereo imaging is spot-on, so I assume this is one area where the GX range has improved, right?

Hi plastic penguin

I hope you'll get to listen to the new GX speakers soon. As with Rega's new Brio R the GX speakers are a real joy to listen to :bigsmile:

The GX speakers, Brio R and the 8200CDQ are so far my products of 2011 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
I've always thought the RSs stereo imaging is spot-on, so I assume this is one area where the GX range has improved, right?

Hi plastic penguin

I hope you'll get to listen to the new GX speakers soon. As with Rega's new Brio R the GX speakers are a real joy to listen to :bigsmile:

The GX speakers, Brio R and the 8200CDQ are so far my products of 2011 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Will try over the next couple of months.

How do they rate alongside ATCs 11s and 19?

A

Anonymous

Hello David , Any update on the gx 50,s & 100,s ? Are they meeting your early expectations ?

A

Anonymous

smiley-tongue-out.gif
FATS 2828 said:
Hello David , Any update on the gx 50,s & 100,s ? Are they meeting your early expectations ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

After much demo'ing over the last month of kit i brought the GX50's last week (with a cyrus 8 CD and Amp). Had on a 24 hrs loop but not fully run in yet but so far very happy with the kit. I have the set up in a study so the arrangement is far from ideal (one speaker is wedged in a bookshelf!). The speakers seem very flexible on positioning and sound great. I tried a few speaker combo's with the cyrus gear when demo'ing and the GX50 stood out for me, and so far full filling that promise at home, sound better than my CM standmounts, which you would expect at 2x the price. Look good in the white gloss finish as well.

jimvicks said:
Hi,

After much demo'ing over the last month of kit i brought the GX50's last week (with a cyrus 8 CD and Amp). Had on a 24 hrs loop but not fully run in yet but so far very happy with the kit. I have the set up in a study so the arrangement is far from ideal (one speaker is wedged in a bookshelf!). The speakers seem very flexible on positioning and sound great. I tried a few speaker combo's with the cyrus gear when demo'ing and the GX50 stood out for me, and so far full filling that promise at home, sound better than my CM standmounts, which you would expect at 2x the price. Look good in the white gloss finish as well.

Hi jimvicks

Nice one :clap: and i hope you enjoy the performance of your GX50's for many years to come :)

Btw, GX50's look 8) in Piano White Gloss.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hello jim, which cm,s did you have just out of intrest ?

regards

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif
FATS 2828 said:

Hi FATS Sorry, you may have noticed I've not been around very much recently, so I may have missed posts here and there, including this one. Things have been a little busy, so haven't had as much time as I'd have liked to spend on here unfortunately. I've not had any extensive lsitening to the GX100's yet, but they're running in nicely in the demo room at the moment on the Naim Unity. After moving the GX50's from downstairs where my workstation is into the main demo room about a month or so ago (to be replaced by the B&W PM1's), I noticed their bass was much fuller, so they probably can't quite be used as close to a wall as I originally thought. Having said that, they're still more open and detailed than say the GS10's, and smoother too. As I've said before, don't be fooled by the ribbon tweeter - they're not soft and delicate like many other ribbon tweeters - they still retain some 'edge', and I'm glad they do. I'm not overly keen on smooth sounding speakers as I like a bit of excitement. The ribbon tweeter and the cabinet shape definitely have their effect on the overall sound. So to sum up, I'd say yes, they are meeting expectations. It's a strong range of speakers, and I think they're going to provide a natural upgrade path for many RX and RS owners.

A

Anonymous

Hi FATS,

I have the CM 1 on the B&W stands, part of a home cinema set up with CM 7's and a PV1, although i've used the standmounts alone as well. Happy with the CM's, but the GX50's beat them in the pure hi-fi set up i have.

A

Anonymous

Could you tell me if they would play House music well? I mean, I do like a very pure vocal,detailed sound,stereo and tigh bass. Not sure if they would cause any fatigue after playing few hours of electronic sound. I don't like heavy electronic sound like trance or techno. I only like vocal house, disco house, deep house,lounge ... like Hed Kandi, Ministry of Sound,Cafe del Mar, Hotel Costes,etc..

Not sure if I would go for GX50 or GX100. Any idea?

Thanks

Ricardo

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would've thought you'd be better off with the GX100's for their bass response and slightly fuller sound. How they ultimately sound will partly depend on your partnering equipment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks David. Not sure if you know these 2 models but comparing the GX100 with B&W 805s and Paradigm Studio 20, what would you say? Is the GX100 better in bass,details,vocal,etc?

A

Anonymous

Listend to the gx 50 ,s last saturday. Lovely too look at, well made,very clear. But that ribbon tweeter was just a bit to bright for my ears and taste. Shame really the burbina finish is stunning.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
Thanks David. Not sure if you know these 2 models but comparing the GX100 with B&W 805s and Paradigm Studio 20, what would you say? Is the GX100 better in bass,details,vocal,etc?

Sorry, not heard the Paradigms, and of the 800 series I've heard, I've not heard the 805's....

FATS 2828 said:
Listend to the gx 50 ,s last saturday. Lovely too look at, well made,very clear. But that ribbon tweeter was just a bit to bright for my ears and taste. Shame really the burbina finish is stunning.

Hi FTAS2828

So where are you at looking for a new pair of speakers?

Btw, what electronics did you hear the GX50's with please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHifi, Musicraft or anyone,

I am looking at the GX100 and would appreciate your thoughts. I am planning to use the GX100s for Home Theater but occasionally these will be hooked up to the main hifi system built around some Naim amps. Hence, the GX100 is expected to perform well in 2-channel.

I do know speaker selection is a very personal thing. I want something that is an all rounder, not too warm and smooth sounding like the Spendors or Harbeths and not too harsh or bright like Thiels. The speaker must be able to play rock music and convey pace and timing with precision ie. not sounding slow or lethargic. How do the GX100s compare with the Proac Response D1 or Dynaudio Focus/Contour S1.4 series of bookshelves? Does the GX100 sound more like the Dynaudio monitors(fuller, punchier) or the Proacs(leaner and perhaps more detail and better imaging qualities)? Does the GX100 sound significantly brighter than the Spendors/Harbeths and have better high frequency extension? I suppose the GX100s are a fast and agile speaker?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

By the way, I forgot to add that one thing that steers me to the GX100 is the looks of it, especially in piano ebony finish. The C-CAM drivers in piano ebony.. yummy. I do hope the GX100s will sound as good as it looks. It's a pity if it turned out otherwise.

SteveR750

FWIW I have listened to the GX300 with my system so can compare them directly to the D18s and Spendor S6e. The MA's are a much more forward rock party speaker than the ProAcs or the spendors, to be honest I cannot understand the WHF review of them, as I found them to be nothing like the other two. I didn't like their slightly OTT presentation compared to the ProAcs, I'd possibly find them fatiguing over an extended listening period.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts