MONITOR AUDIO DEALERS. GX 50 - GX100. SOUND ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
CAN ANYONE SPILL THE BEANS ?
smiley-wink.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Try google.

I bought my MA RX1 from Sxxxxoaks and so far this dealer has not responded to my enquiry as to when GX-100 will be in stock
smiley-frown.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Lol, nooo! These are quite different from the RS and RX series - they're more like Platinum as far as their cabinet build quality is concerned, and for me, that gives better imaging and accuracy. These GX's seem far more balanced than anything that has gone before them.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Lol, nooo! These are quite different from the RS and RX series - they're more like Platinum as far as their cabinet build quality is concerned, and for me, that gives better imaging and accuracy. These GX's seem far more balanced than anything that has gone before them.

Saying they're like the PL range is like telling me about the great wall of China. I assume they don't have perceived 'metallic' edge to the treble, right?

A

Anonymous

Hello, David . I know its early days, but do you think they might challenge the current best buy kings [500 to 1000] bracket

in the future ?

I've got the GX100's playing (using a Hiato amp and QBD76 DAC) and they really are excellent speakers :)

plastic penguin - The Ribbon HF unit of the GX Series has no 'metallic edge' to it. Although the GX ribbon HF unit doesn't quite have the resolution, speed, subtlety or the overall accuracy of the Platinum Series Ribbon HF unit (the finest overall HF unit which i've heard to date btw) however the GX Series Ribbon HF unit does still project a highly focused, potent and detailed sound with excellent height, width and dispersion whilst remaining natural :bigsmile:

Btw, the GX Series has also got excellent levels of build, fit and finish 8)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
I've got the GX100's playing (using a Hiato amp and QBD76 DAC) and they really are excellent speakers :)

plastic penguin - The Ribbon HF unit of the GX Series has no 'metallic edge' to it. Although the GX ribbon HF unit doesn't quite have the resolution, speed, subtlety or the overall accuracy of the Platinum Series Ribbon HF unit (the finest overall HF unit which i've heard to date btw) however the GX Series Ribbon HF unit does still project a highly focused, potent and detailed sound with excellent height, width and dispersion whilst remaining natural :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I've never said the RS6 have a metallic edge. Others have hinted to it, hence my term of "perceived", but not me. So how does the entry-level GX range compare to the RS6s? Bare in mind I'm talking about the Leema amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Saying they're like the PL range is like telling me about the great wall of China. I assume they don't have perceived 'metallic' edge to the treble, right?

I had a good listen this afternoon with the Fight Club soundtrack, which is a good tester in many ways, and can be very busy in parts, and come across as a mess or rather harsh in places if the system isn't up to scratch. The predominantly electronic soundtrack came across with excellent precision, with a clarity I would say is pretty rare at this price point. While metallic percussion instruments have a reassuringly metallic edge, these are definitely smoother than the RX and GS ranges. I find many good quality ribbon tweeter based loudspeakers are more able to distinguish between various different metal percussive instruments, particularly those whose frequency range reaches higher than normal. As far as bass is concerned, they're nicely balanced - no excessive bass, and no 'rogue' notes either - probably thanks to the cabinet's excellent build quality. The metal mid/bass driver seems to be very responsive, and take a bit more of a pounding than they look like they will.
I think if you were to pitch the GX100's against your RS6's, you'd choose the GX100's. I think you'd be suitably impressed enough with the GX50's as far as the midrange and treble are concerned, but I think you'll need to look at the GX100's for sufficient bass, given you're used to the RS6's.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
Hello, David . I know its early days, but do you think they might challenge the current best buy kings [500 to 1000] bracket

in the future ?

Well, for me, the best £1k standmount speakers are the ATC SCM11's, and the ProAc Studio 110's. I've not done a direct comparison yet as they're still running in, but I don't think that people interested in the GX50's will be interested in the SCM11's (and maybe not even the 110's) as far as aesthetics are concerned. Visuals aside, I think the GX50's are up there with both of them. If you were to ask me which I'd choose, I don't know. Part of the choice would be system dependent, and think it would also depend on the type of music I'd be listening to.

As I've said, I'm sufficiently impressed with the GX50's detail and presentation to consider these as AV speakers - I hope they don't let me down.

As far as future speakers go, I think the main competition they'll have will be whatever KEF replace the XQ20's with....

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
plastic penguin said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I had a good listen this afternoon with the Fight Club soundtrack, which is a good tester in many ways, and can be very busy in parts, and come across as a mess or rather harsh in places if the system isn't up to scratch. The predominantly electronic soundtrack came across with excellent precision, with a clarity I would say is pretty rare at this price point. While metallic percussion instruments have a reassuringly metallic edge, these are definitely smoother than the RX and GS ranges. I find many good quality ribbon tweeter based loudspeakers are more able to distinguish between various different metal percussive instruments, particularly those whose frequency range reaches higher than normal. As far as bass is concerned, they're nicely balanced - no excessive bass, and no 'rogue' notes either - probably thanks to the cabinet's excellent build quality. The metal mid/bass driver seems to be very responsive, and take a bit more of a pounding than they look like they will. I think if you were to pitch the GX100's against your RS6's, you'd choose the GX100's. I think you'd be suitably impressed enough with the GX50's as far as the midrange and treble are concerned, but I think you'll need to look at the GX100's for sufficient bass, given you're used to the RS6's.

Cheers David.

A

Anonymous

Hello David, How would you describe the gx50,s sound compared too the atc11,s and proacs [ warm , sweet etc] .? Also their positioning flexability ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
Hello David, How would you describe the gx50,s sound compared too the atc11,s and proacs [ warm , sweet etc] .? Also their positioning flexability ?

I've yet to try them in different rooms, but positioning seems fine, although at the moment they're against a solid wall with a large suspended wooden board in front of it (allows us flexibility), so won't really be representative of a solid wall, probably more of a partition wall. They seem to be very well controlled in the bass, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue compared to the likes of other rear ported speakers, although like most speakers, they'll produce a more three dimensional image if you pull them out about a foot or so.

I've not compared the GX50's directly compared to the ProAcs or ATC's as yet as they're still running in, but it'll be interesting to see how they fair as far as detail is concerned - I think the GX50's will certainly give both of them a run for their money in this department. I'll post up some details next week when they've run in a bit, as the GX200's improved greatly - only fair to give them a fair comparison :)

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I've never said the RS6 have a metallic edge. Others have hinted to it, hence my term of "perceived", but not me. So how does the entry-level GX range compare to the RS6s? Bare in mind I'm talking about the Leema amp.

Hi plastic penguin

I know you weren't referring to the RS6's. I can assure that this did not even cross my mind.

Anyway the GX100's don't have the overall weight, scale, dynamics or the depth of the RS6's. Apart from this i would say the GX100's easily better the still impressive RS6's in pretty much every other area.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FATS 2828 said:
Sorry Rick , yes gx 100 or 50,s .

Hi Fats 2828

Its ok. You don't need to apologise.

Anyway i've found the GX speakers are certainly alot more tolerant of room positioning compared to the GS Series :) I've had the GX100's a foot away from the wall and the sound has not ended up getting itself into a twist. The LF has been deep but firm thereby not overlapping the critical mid range and also enabling the superb qualities of the ribbon HF unit to shine through :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic penguin

I know you weren't referring to the RS6's. I can assure that this did not even cross my mind.

Anyway the GX100's don't have the overall weight, scale, dynamics or the depth of the RS6's. Apart from this i would say the GX100's easily better the still impressive RS6's in pretty much every other area.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm immensely surprised, nay shocked, that a £1200 speaker doesn't have the dynamics of a 600 pounder. I've always thought the RSs stereo imaging is spot-on, so I assume this is one area where the GX range has improved, right? Or am I under-playing the RS6s?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
One thing I've found so far is that between the GX50 and GX200, the sound is very consistent. Sometimes you find that a stand mounter in a range has quite a different sound or balance to the floorstanders in the range, but not with the GX models we're running in so far. For example, the bass of the GX50's is very similarly balanced as the 200's, but lacking the depth, for obvious reasons.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts