Monitor Audio BX2

matthewpiano

Heard the new MAs briefly today, driven by Marantz 6003 electronics. What a superb combination! The BX2s are significantly better than the BR2s they have replaced and they really seem to get the best out of the Marantz gear. The treble and midrange are beautiful sounding and you get plenty of detail as well as a great sense of the over-arching whole of the music. Well worth listening to if you are considering a system at this price point.

matthewpiano:Heard the new MAs briefly today, driven by Marantz 6003 electronics. What a superb combination! The BX2s are significantly better than the BR2s they have replaced and they really seem to get the best out of the Marantz gear. The treble and midrange are beautiful sounding and you get plenty of detail as well as a great sense of the over-arching whole of the music. Well worth listening to if you are considering a system at this price point.

When are you picking them up?
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

Well...........

I've been doing quite a bit of listening, researching and thinking lately in an effort to decide what I really want out of the hi-fi. I had considered going down the Quad pre-power route but could only afford older models and would then end up having to match up with a better source. I also managed to listen to a friends' Quad set-up and I found it too soft sounding, so not for me!

The Marantz 6003s have impressed me on several occasions now and I think you would have to spend big money to make worthwhile improvements on them. I've heard them with Diamond 10.1s and, whilst good, I found the Wharfedales a bit on the boxy sounding side. The B&W 686s are massively better, but out of the three the MA BX2s have a real edge. Timbral accuracy is a particular strength of the Marantz/MA combination and I also noticed consistently good performance at lower volume levels.

I've discussed my situation and box-swapping with the dealer and he has already been excellent in helping me to understand what I can and can't expect to achieve. He has also said the Marantz 6003s are difficult to improve on without spending a lot more money and that, whatever I end up with, I need to feel like I can stop listening to the hi-fi and start listening to the music again. All very sensible and well thought-out advice.

I'm going back next week to have another listen. :)

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
6003 good amp but think the 550A and 660A from cambridge audio both have similar tone but can control bigger speakers better

A

Anonymous

having sold my pm6003 and bought my ten year old pm7000, which i only paid e100 for, im very happy, the big old marantz really suits my rx6's, the few issues i found with the 6003 have been sorted, its hard to describe the difference, but i just cant find fault with my current set-up, with any music, i didnt notice this immediately, but over time ive just grown to appreciate the changes..

matthewpiano:Well........... I've been doing quite a bit of listening, researching and thinking lately in an effort to decide what I really want out of the hi-fi. I had considered going down the Quad pre-power route but could only afford older models and would then end up having to match up with a better source. I also managed to listen to a friends' Quad set-up and I found it too soft sounding, so not for me! The Marantz 6003s have impressed me on several occasions now and I think you would have to spend big money to make worthwhile improvements on them. I've heard them with Diamond 10.1s and, whilst good, I found the Wharfedales a bit on the boxy sounding side. The B&W 686s are massively better, but out of the three the MA BX2s have a real edge. Timbral accuracy is a particular strength of the Marantz/MA combination and I also noticed consistently good performance at lower volume levels. I've discussed my situation and box-swapping with the dealer and he has already been excellent in helping me to understand what I can and can't expect to achieve. He has also said the Marantz 6003s are difficult to improve on without spending a lot more money and that, whatever I end up with, I need to feel like I can stop listening to the hi-fi and start listening to the music again. All very sensible and well thought-out advice. I'm going back next week to have another listen. :)

You've come full circle...

Like I said to you last year, you're not going to be content with set-ups at the budget you're looking at. I reall do believe you need to up the anti and go with (s/hand) hi-end gear. Given the music you like, can't go wrong with the Leema - has dynamics in spades and lashed with detail; a solid and well defined bass... or Roksan Caspian...

If you work out how much money you've spent over the past year on countless amps, speakers, CDPs, etc... I'm not knocking your philosophy, but I think it's counter productive and false economy.

matthewpiano

I hear you PP but I need to be able to demo whatever I buy this time (yes, I have made some purchases without demo-ing in recent months), and I find that very difficult with used kit. Its also how I've made more than a few mistakes and the reason why I'm steering away from CA kit this time, however good the 550A and 650A may be.

We'll see. I'm not making any decisions until I'm absolutely sure. Next week will be about the 5th time I will have demo'd the Marantz kit and the 2nd time I will have heard the BX2s. What I have consistently liked about the Marantz combo is its ability to bring instruments and voices to life. That is a good proportion of the battle for me and something that a lot of kit, including some more expensive stuff I've heard, seems to struggle with.

matthewpiano:I hear you PP but I need to be able to demo whatever I buy this time (yes, I have made some purchases without demo-ing in recent months), and I find that very difficult with used kit. Its also how I've made more than a few mistakes and the reason why I'm steering away from CA kit this time, however good the 550A and 650A may be. We'll see. I'm not making any decisions until I'm absolutely sure. Next week will be about the 5th time I will have demo'd the Marantz kit and the 2nd time I will have heard the BX2s. What I have consistently liked about the Marantz combo is its ability to bring instruments and voices to life. That is a good proportion of the battle for me and something that a lot of kit, including some more expensive stuff I've heard, seems to struggle with.

Wish you luck, Matthew.

matthewpiano:Thanks PP. I might need it!! How is your search for ancilliaries for your new amp going?

Ground to a halt for the time being. Car insurance has just come up, the OH's birthday next month + car MOT, and in November it's my daughter's birthday...

Loving the Pulse, even on antiquated Wharfedales. It has so much precision - yet to find fault given the electronics used at the mo.

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
mathew - not been on here for a while, see your still as undecided as ever ! just like to pick your brains

just bought some dali lektor 1s in place of my old trusty ms avant 902i's mainly due to moving and needing (god forbid) a speaker to go on a shelf, saying that i allways wanted an upgrade anyway. the thing is my old rotel ra820ax is only 30wpc (albeit an old ' proper ' 30w) and with them not being as responsive as the 902i's they are a tad harder to drive, which im noticing at lower levels, also the dali seems like it is begging me for a touch more richness and warmth than the rotel combo can offer. im wondering if you have ever teamed them with the marantz 6003 ? i really like these speakers and think with a touch more oomph they could be a bit special for the 200 i paid - cannot believe what they do for the size of them

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Matthew, I think PP makes two excellent points. First, you've tried lots of budget gear already, you need to step up to the next level or two.. Second, buying used equipment makes great sense for someone like you (and me) who likes to change gear frequently due to lack of complete satisfaction. Everything I buy is either new but significantly discounted (20% or more), or used. Used gear is best because you can buy it, try it for a few weeks or months and then sell it for the majority of your money. In several cases, I've actually made money, even after transaction and shipping fees. Buying used will also get you much better equipment. And the technology truly doesn't change all that quickly. Often, going back one or two model versions has no impact on quality at all.

matthewpiano

pauldownton1979:
mathew - not been on here for a while, see your still as undecided as ever ! just like to pick your brains

just bought some dali lektor 1s in place of my old trusty ms avant 902i's mainly due to moving and needing (god forbid) a speaker to go on a shelf, saying that i allways wanted an upgrade anyway. the thing is my old rotel ra820ax is only 30wpc (albeit an old ' proper ' 30w) and with them not being as responsive as the 902i's they are a tad harder to drive, which im noticing at lower levels, also the dali seems like it is begging me for a touch more richness and warmth than the rotel combo can offer. im wondering if you have ever teamed them with the marantz 6003 ? i really like these speakers and think with a touch more oomph they could be a bit special for the 200 i paid - cannot believe what they do for the size of them

The Marantz pairs nicely with the Lektors but I think you should also try the NAD C326BEE and C316BEE amplifiers as I've always found NAD and Dali to be good partners. The NADs will give you the extra richness you require but you must audition before you buy.

The Lektors are excellent speakers. They are never going to sound as bassy or as initially impressive as the 902i but over longer periods you will appreciate the big step up in finesse and musicality.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:having sold my pm6003 and bought my ten year old pm7000, which i only paid e100 for, im very happy, the big old marantz really suits my rx6's, the few issues i found with the 6003 have been sorted, its hard to describe the difference, but i just cant find fault with my current set-up, with any music, i didnt notice this immediately, but over time ive just grown to appreciate the changes..

I also sold my PM6003 and bought the PM8003. A big improvement, you can hear the amp has a lot more power.

A

Anonymous

Cypher:
maxflinn:having sold my pm6003 and bought my ten year old pm7000, which i only paid e100 for, im very happy, the big old marantz really suits my rx6's, the few issues i found with the 6003 have been sorted, its hard to describe the difference, but i just cant find fault with my current set-up, with any music, i didnt notice this immediately, but over time ive just grown to appreciate the changes..

I also sold my PM6003 and bought the PM8003. A big improvement, you can hear the amp has a lot more power.

funnily enough, the 6003 didnt seem to be lacking in power, in fact it was very punchy and powerful, at least to my ears, but the pm7000 just sounds right, perhaps that is the extra power? the greater control? im not sure, it just does everything more to my liking, anything i throw at it just sounds great, at any volume, that wasnt always the case with the 6003....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Well...... He has also said the Marantz 6003s are difficult to improve on without spending a lot more money and that, whatever I end up with, I need to feel like I can stop listening to the hi-fi and start listening to the music again. All very sensible and well thought-out advice. I'm going back next week to have another listen. :)

Then, of course, there is Kef's new Q range ...

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano, Hope you enjoy the BX2's with the Marantz combo.

What happened to the Yamaha as700's and 792 speakers? Hows the Dacmagic going with this lot?

Another option is to go for more obscure branded products.

A

Anonymous

It's funny, but last week I listened to the BX2's next to the RX1's and the 686's at Sevenoakes. Maybe the BX2's needed running in, but the 686's had a greater depth and warmer sound than either of the MA's. I don't like my music too harsh, so the 686's sounded better, but that's me!!

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi. From a different perspective, I have these speakers on my Denon Hifi Dra-f107. I chose them over Wharedale Diamond 10.2 and Acoustic Energy aelite speakers, to me they where better balanced on that system and better detailed on the treble. They are a good match for any Denon amp or System. That's my opinion anyway, I love them!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano, as some have hinted you're wasting time and money. Take the hit. Go out and buy a nice Densen amp and some equally nice Sonus Faber Liuto speakers. You'll still have them in 10 years time.

You seem a nice chap. All this budget swapping achieves zero. Bite the bullet and live happily ever after.

Ciao

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired:Matthew, I think PP makes two excellent points. First, you've tried lots of budget gear already, you need to step up to the next level or two.. Second, buying used equipment makes great sense for someone like you (and me) who likes to change gear frequently due to lack of complete satisfaction. Everything I buy is either new but significantly discounted (20% or more), or used. Used gear is best because you can buy it, try it for a few weeks or months and then sell it for the majority of your money. In several cases, I've actually made money, even after transaction and shipping fees. Buying used will also get you much better equipment. And the technology truly doesn't change all that quickly. Often, going back one or two model versions has no impact on quality at all.

I doubt you'll be changing your Brystons now though Jax? Have you seen the new Moon DAC, another Canadian on your rack?

matthewpiano

I am listening to what people are saying. The Marantz/MA combo is still under consideration but I'm also looking at alternatives.

One idea I had was to go down the Audiolab route. I've always liked the 8000S amp, and there are some really good deals about on it with the 8000CD CD player. They should pair well with my Quad 11Ls as well. I know its not as expensive as some are suggesting but it is a step up from the very budget stuff...

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
pauldownton1979:

I agree, they are amazing little speakers. If you have the option I would strongly recommend wall mounting them instead of shelf mounting (only takes a screw as you know).

They work exceptionally well with the PM6003; clear, detailed, seperated. I appreciate this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I do find them so good. God knows why I'm still listening to them through my Pioneer which is why it's up for sale to get the Marantz.

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:pauldownton1979:

The Marantz pairs nicely with the Lektors but I think you should also try the NAD C326BEE and C316BEE amplifiers as I've always found NAD and Dali to be good partners. The NADs will give you the extra richness you require but you must audition before you buy. The Lektors are excellent speakers. They are never going to sound as bassy or as initially impressive as the 902i but over longer periods you will appreciate the big step up in finesse and musicality.

cheers pal i was wondering about the old 3020 actually,but never really looked at nad that closeley tbh. im thinking i might just scratch around for something to do me a bit better than ive got for a while untill i save some decent wonga to start a good setup from scratch.

do you know much about the 315bee matey?

p.s. im allready feeling the musicality of the lektors. like you say they are not in your face like the 902is but you get a feeling of listening to something alot more grown up and smooth while still exciting and detailed, they sound better everytime i use them.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:I am listening to what people are saying. The Marantz/MA combo is still under consideration but I'm also looking at alternatives.

One idea I had was to go down the Audiolab route. I've always liked the 8000S amp, and there are some really good deals about on it with the 8000CD CD player. They should pair well with my Quad 11Ls as well. I know its not as expensive as some are suggesting but it is a step up from the very budget stuff...

Ah, well, MP, if you think that not so long ago, that CDP was over £500, it held its TSP value more than its contemporaries did over the piece. In fact, I think it's really only in the last month that the 8000CD has started to come down across the board. I hear, however, that it's quite analytical and forward according to a couple of dealers I spoke with a couple of years ago and before buying the SA7001-KI I use now.

You might do worse than search out one in that case - or both and compare. Personally, I think you'd like the Marantz, it's wonderful in the midrange, leaner in the bass but partner it with the right amp and speakers and this is not a problem. The treble is lovely - anything but harsh. I've had other players, but none have come close to the presentation this player does. It gives you a whole picture with all the detail, but you never lose sight that it's an entire piece you listen to and not something that's so separated out you miss the bigger picture.

I do think - much as a few others have said - that either it's going to be an upgrade OR you find an alternative to the traditional hardware. I see the new Tannoy Reveal actives (£480 a pair) got a fine review in the current sound on sound and appear to be in the same mould as the Genelecs I mention; good bass, nice treble, etc. After that, all you need's a pre-amp and a source and you're away.

I doubt the active option is your preference, but it's well worth giving some thought IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts