Monitor Audio BX2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin:Both the A18 and CD17 sounded fine with various speakers, including PMC DB1s, which was particularly impressive. I think so many on here are quick to dismiss Arcams...

Thanks PP. Interesting to know that as I will certainly be trying the CD17 when I am ready to upgrade the CD player - its the obvious choice to partner with the A18 after all. If not there are several Marantz and other Arcam models to go at.

A

Anonymous

I think you'd like the presentation of the Rega Mira3 matched with Rega speakers, very smooth and balanced. Anyway, irrelevant! Arcam, nice kit, hope you enjoy it for many hours to come! Matched with an rDAC you'll have a cracking system!

chebby:

plastic penguin:Both the A18 and CD17 sounded fine with various speakers, including PMC DB1s, which was particularly impressive. I think so many on here are quick to dismiss Arcams...

Took me about two hours (in total). How much longer/how many more demos should I have given them?

Oddly enough the above comment wasn't aimed at you - however, it did reignite memories of comments made by others that dismiss the brand. Sure, it won't appeal to all (or even the majority), even I have been fairly critical of the A18 in the past, based on my experience of the A65 Plus which betters the A18 in some areas and not so in others...

The new FMJ range (entry-level) of amps doesn't do enough to warrant a change if you have a DIVA amp. As always this is a personal opinion...

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site

I have yet to hear one arcam amp that I like. IMO it makes all music sound dull and lifeless. With brighter, faster speakers it will sound OK but Arcam is definitely not for me. It all comes down to personal taste.

A

Anonymous

Hi Matthew, Are you keeping the Quad 11Ls - might be worth trying them with the Arcam.

A

Anonymous

Literally the first post ever.

I have recently bought my fist hi-fi separates and went with the BX2's (on nexus 5's) and the PM6003 wired with QED anniversary cables. I am using the set up through my computer (Mac mini) connected up with a QED Performance Audio J2P Interconnect. At present the sound is great, very clear and detailed although the speakers really do need room breath and more time to run in, currently had them for 1 and a half weeks.

I wanted to know if anyone knew about a DAC that would be most appropriate to compliment this set up or any other suggestions to get the most out of this configuration. I understand if I am asking in the wrong area and would appreciate being pointed to the correct one. I am basically looking for any add ons to improve whats there, currently under consideration are the DacMagic and the rDac as well as av racks by atacama (the elara 1000 or reference eight) and the Hifi racks podium, any information or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Arcam Rdac, beresford 7520 or caiman or a dacmagic should be on your list of dacs. You will hear a huge difference regarding sound quality when you add a dac compared to the onboard sound card on your mac

I also went from an onboard soundcard on my laptop which was connected with a QED J2P, to a beresford 7520 and the difference in sound quality was astonishing.

Try and demo some dacs if you can, its worth it
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much JezBaker, much appreciated suggestions especially as you have had positive experience by adding a DAC with a very similar setup to my own so the views are first hand which is great. I like the look of the Beresford DAC and the rDAC (but most likely due to it winning the WHF award) so most likely will need to see if I can get a trial. I think currently the Caiman looks to be leading but as I wont be buying for another couple of months it could all change!

List to buy, system rack, DAC and hard drive for apple lossless - a lot of reading and testing to do then!

A

Anonymous

no worries

Many Dealers will have the Rdac so shouldnt be a problem getting a demo for that. think richer sounds is the only place that stocks the dacmagic as its cambridge audio. could be wrong though!

A

Anonymous

Yeh it is only sold through Richer Sounds for what I can see and they only do a 7 day money back guarantee so it would be a case of buying and then returning if it didnt meet the needs. I think therefore I will try to trial both the Beresfords and the rDac in the next month and will comment if I think I find something that really improves my system as computer based music is becoming more and more bought into.

jerrysutty

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Just bought MA Bx2's. Straight out the box I was impressed with the sound straight away. Two hours in and they sound even better. The bass is right, no harsh treble. Full detail sound. I can hear stuff I have never heard before on cd!. They are just stunning.

System: Denon 1920, Denon 1906. Bi amped. Atacama stands.

TRENDING THREADS