Modifying CD players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Inter_Voice said:
One more example is OPP 83 universal player. OPPO officially allows NuForce to upgrade OPPO 83 to OPPO 83 NuForce Edition by changing some of the components with better quality.

For Marantz CD63, there are three grades of the same model: CD63, CD63 SE (or CD63 MKII) and CD63 MK II KI.

The circuitry of the 3 CD63s are exactly the same, the differences are on the grade of components used.

Actually the DIY modding is to further improve the performance of the CDP by using even better components. I cannot see anything wrong with it.

The Oppo 85 is an upgraded 83, same as Oppo 93 and 95 and 103 and 105. Same as the CA651 and 751.

As far as I know from Oppo 83 to 85; 93 to 95 and 103 to 105 are "actual" upgrades where OPPO has redesigned the circuit on all of them.

What we are discussing here is to improve the performance of an equipment by changing the components with better quality. There might be one or two tweats to the original circuits but the whole ciruit design is unchanged. Anyone with some electronic DIY knowledge can carry out the work himself but if this cannot be done by ones own then a 3rd party modder can help but this will involve a cost naturally.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
eggontoast said:
What well regarded equipment.....a couple of headphone amplifiers o/

Fidelity Audio make four headphone amps and two DACs. "Well regarded" in the sense that they've received recommendations in e.g. Hi-Fi Choice.

I guess you didn't look at the wyred4sound website, or did you choose not to mention it because their range of equipment is quite extensive?

eggontoast said:
Companies don't throw money at products, that's just what they cost to develop. Everything has to justify it's cost if it doesn't make any difference then the cheapest components are used, transformers are not over specified because it's unnecessary cost which adds nothing to the product. You use the word improved....there are no quantifiable results to justify this statement yet. John Westlake does indeed offer so called 'upgrades' to the M-DAC, he knows there is a market for these upgrades from the gullible, I'm sure it's very lucrative for him too.

You have failed to highlight my missing facts.

Companies work to budgets, especially in the mass market. This means components get chosen on a price/performance basis. Clearly companies think that there are better and worse performing versions of a given component. This is why many companies offer a range of products at different price points, and as you go up the pricing scale the components are of higher quality. Modding is just another way of moving up the price/performance scale.

Judging by what's been said on the matter on the PFM audio forum, the upgrades are anything but lucrative for John Westlake. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to stop offering them pretty soon. And I honestly don't think the people signing up for the MDAC upgrades are gullible. But you can read the threads and draw your own conclusions.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
12Designs said:
Producing Hi Fi from a commercial point of view involves building the best quality/sounding product you can but at the same time keeping costs down to make the product available to the widest possible number of customers in a particular demographic. This means a certain amount of compromise. After market modifications address these compromises.

+1

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You maybe surprised how cheap some components are in say a £500 cdp or BD player, so upgrades can be worth while, or do only original man. upgrades count?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Fidelity Audio make four headphone amps and two DACs. "Well regarded" in the sense that they've received recommendations in e.g. Hi-Fi Choice.

No, they make two headphone amplifiers and then mods them to two upgraded versions. They don't make any DACS, HLLY designed and manufacture the DMK-IV and FA mod it and rebadge it.

matt49 said:
I guess you didn't look at the wyred4sound website, or did you choose not to mention it because their range of equipment is quite extensive?

I didn't mention them as they were State side and most of the modding mentioned recently was by FA, I do admit that their range of products does look impressive though, although I'm not familiar with any of it first hand.

matt49 said:
Companies work to budgets, especially in the mass market. This means components get chosen on a price/performance basis. Clearly companies think that there are better and worse performing versions of a given component. This is why many companies offer a range of products at different price points, and as you go up the pricing scale the components are of higher quality. Modding is just another way of moving up the price/performance scale.

i think you are sorely misguided if you think the only differences between models as they get more expensive are component changes. The whole design is different, circuit designs are made 'simpler' with fewer components etc not just a few missing boutique components.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
eggontoast said:
i think you are sorely misguided if you think the only differences between models as they get more expensive are component changes. The whole design is different, circuit designs are made 'simpler' with fewer components etc not just a few missing boutique components.

No, I didn't say "the only differences". That would have been imprudent. What I said was more guarded: "many" companies do offer ranges of products in which the differences consist in different grades of components. Obviously many companies and many ranges (probably the majority) are not like this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts