mixing speaker ohms ratings

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought the str-dg820 from richer sounds, i want to use my current speakers till i get a new set in the new year, however my speakers are 8 ohms but i'm using a friends spare subwoofer as mine is passive, the ohms rating on the sub is 4, am i going to do some damage by mixing the two?

A

Anonymous

No one? i really need your help chaps, it's just sat there and i'm dying to set it up.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
35 minutes, on a Sunday afternoon, and you're complaining? Sheeesh!

Is your friend's sub an active one? If so, then you'll have no problems using it, as the impedance rating will be irrelevant.

If it's a passive one, then I'm a bit confused why you are using it instead of yours, but it should be fine when connected in parallel with your main front speakers, The worst that will happen is that the amp's protection circuit will kick in if it's not happy, allowing you to disconnect the sub and carry on.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
As above, if it's an active model the impedence rating is irrelevant as you're bypassing your AV receiver and using the built-in amplifation within the sub so it's driving itself so to speak.

A

Anonymous

cheers boys, sorry for the impatience but it's sat there, and....well.....i'm a big kid and want to play with it!

Yeah it's an active sub, only using it because i can't find connections for my passive one, thanks again chaps.

A

Anonymous

I take it you didn't trust my judgment when you thanked me for my response on't other forum 2 hours ago then?

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

haha, course i did, but it doesn't hurt to get many different opinions, cheers again though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts