Mission M-Cubes speaker connection.....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, (& Clare wink wink lol)

I have Mission M-Cubes set up the designed way (into the sub), and then wired into my Denon AVR-4308A. I wondered whether I'm not getting the best out of my QED XT350 speaker cable as the umbilical cable doesnt appear to be of the best quality. Is it worth re-wiring, bypassing the sub and feeding directly into the AVR (and adusting the crossover freq's from the Denon)? This way would also allow me to set up the system as 7.1. Also, does have any guidance for the sub controls?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Walshy

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

We're great fans of tweaking to get the best out a system, so by all means give it a try. However, knowing how much work went into getting the M-Cube sats to integrate properly with the subwoofer I suspect the final results are likely to be different rather than better. I would be surprised if the filtering in the Denon did a better job than that in the Mission sub.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The main problem you're going to have is that the M-Cube satellite speakers only go down to 280Hz, meaning that the sub has to go all the way up to 250Hz-300Hz in order to integrate with the speakers.

Not sure I know of any receivers on which you can set the filtering to give a crossover point this high: IIRC you can set a 250Hz crossover on the Denon, but this may well still leave a gap between the point where the sub rolls off and that where the cubes kick in.

If you're going to try this, however, set the volume on the sub to midway, bass contour to somewhere near 'max' and the crossover to its maximum '300Hz'.

A

Anonymous

Ketan / Andrew,

Thanks so much for the great replies: Im still pondering whether to go for it and try it out: It would be a time consuming exercise to re-route my cabling, which I have no problem doing if the end result will be be great. I mean, surely the Audio from the XT350 is far superior to the extremely tiny cabling in the subs umbilical cable? It really doesnt appear to be of great quality....But having said that, it's no good having amazing trebles and lows with a gap where the rolloff cuts out just prior to the cubes kickin in.

BUT, as you stated Andrew, if I set the subs crossover to 300Hz and the satellites go down to 280Hz, then there's a 20hz overlap right? covering all frequencies.....or am I missing something?

Oh, and one last thing: my subs RCA is a QED miniature silver reference: would you recommend upgrading to a full size version? I hear great things about the QED Signature sub, both tighter and more controlled....worthy replacement?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Walshy

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
walshyy:BUT, as you stated Andrew, if I set the subs crossover to 300Hz and the satellites go down to 280Hz, then there's a 20hz overlap right? covering all frequencies.....or am I missing something?

See where you're coming from, but the receiver will still be doing the filtering (if you go for the direct-wiring route), so will be cutting off the sub at 250Hz max, leaving the gap.

walshyy:Oh, and one last thing: my subs RCA is a QED miniature
silver reference: would you recommend upgrading to a full size version?
I hear great things about the QED Signature sub, both tighter and more
controlled....worthy replacement

I think the cable you have now is fine for that sub.

A

Anonymous

Would this missing '30Hz' really be noticeable?

And as the sub has a crossover of upto 300Hz, wouldn't this fill the gap? Or would this feature be disabled if I wired directly to the Denon? Also, what best crossover settings for the satellites?

Would you also recommend using the sub settings (as you suggested earlier) for the way it's currently connected? Is the Phase worth tweaking? Does anyone actually know how good a quality the umbilical cable provided really is? It looks shockingly bad, and would break at the slightest jolt.

Thanks!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I think the hole in the sound would be noticeable. And using the direct wire route, the effect is going to be the same: the receiver's crossover will roll off at 250Hz max, wherever you set the subwoofer's crossover dial.

A

Anonymous

Ok Andrew thanks for the advice........if I can move my AVR over to near my sub temporarily ( for easy hookup ) then I will give it a go.

Otherwise....hmmmmmmm tough decision. If only the cubes went down to 250Hz instead of 280.

On the other hand, they sound fab so may not fix what aint broken!

Walshy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts