Minimum Laptop Requirements For A Music System

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hello! I am researching a laptop based system for the future and I need advice on what the absolute minimum hardware requirements would be. Now the laptop would ONLY be used as a music source so I'm really not interested in graphics,video capabilities etc., just the ability to rip CD's and Spotify downloads. I appreciate you get far more "bang for your buck" with a desktop but due to space considerations that is not an option, so any thoughts please? (I'll leave DAC's and back-up storage for another time!) Thanks Malc EDIT - Something like this maybe?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Any new laptop should be capable so long as the HD is large enough to contain all your music files (and still leave well over 50 percent unused at least).

It would also be desirable (especially with laptops) to ensure it has an optical output as well as USB.

Also budget for an external backup HD to do regular system backups. (This is essential.)

Make sure you budget for some kind of 3 or 4 year manufacturer cover. I have always taken this option with my PCs and laptops (and iMac). Try and buy from a reputable manufacturer who will offer next day onsite support rather than some 'shady' 5 year 'extended guarantee' offered by the retailer. (The exception being John Lewis whose 5 cover is genuine and often free.)

Did I mention the importance of buying an external backup HD?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
You did mention the HD thanks Chebby. Could you please explain the need for 50% free disc space?

I appreciate the suitability of an optical connection but these seem to be specified on particularly high-end machines which is a route I'm not looking to go down. However, if I DO go down the all-digital route (this depends on a house move), then I would be looking at an Arcam rDAC. Subject to audition of course but I have read some really glowing user reviews (wish I could put the link up for one in particular) of it's USB performance, and that is against the usual optical/co-ax connections. Cheers for your help mate.

A

Anonymous

Speed is not a problem really. Silent operation is crucial to me. Most netbooks are very quiet, some even look nice (check out asus eee 1008-glossy or 1015-nonglare). You'd have to buy an external drive for ripping but that is mostly a one time effort (if you do it lossless that is). If you do not like that buy a cheap laptop with internal disk. As external drive I can recommend the Samsung g2 portable I just bought.

The only thing that can spoil it is software: bad drivers that block the smooth operation and playback (roaming wireless adapters have a bad reputation).

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I user an old HP NC6000 for my main music system no issues whatsoever , only thing I would suggest is that you store your music files on a NAS/External drive (You still need to backup) but protects you from laptop HDD failure.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:You did mention the HD thanks Chebby. Could you please explain the need for 50% free disc space?

Don't you envisage using the laptop for at least a few years and wanting to continue downloading more music?

Make sure you have plenty of space left over. HD storage is very cheap so may as well get a laptop with a big'un.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I use an old HP laptop with an AMD turion 1600MHz processor, 1GB ram, 100Gb Harddisk and windows XP. I have about 70gb of music on it that I listen to alot. I keep my complete music library backupped on (two different) external harddisks and simply copy what i want to listen to. And I use Mediamonkey as musicplayer and have a Dacmagic.

Any cheap laptop will do (even a netbook/nettop), as long as it has a big harddrive. And a remote controle is nice to have too.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Given me a bit more confidence of what I should be looking at but early days yet due to other circumstances. All comments noted and helpful so thanks again.

iMark

Have you considered looking into a second hand Mac? My MacBook is over three years old, my partner's MacBook Pro is over 4 years old and runs better than when she bought it. Simply look for a Mac that has a Intel 2Core Duo processor (basically every Mac since late 2006). My MacBook came with a little remote but you can buy them separately if not provided. The library can also be managed with any device that runs iOS. 'There's an app for that' (Steve Jobs).

My iTunes library is on little Samsung S2 USB powered hard drive (640GB) which is fast enough for music and is extremely portable (with a backup on another drive).

The MacBook has optical out and runs Mac OS 10.6.5. It also has all networking possibilties you'll ever need, including 801.11n. It came pre-installed with OS 10.5. The upgrade to 10.6 is cheap.

IMHO Macs keep their value for quite a long time. The only dodgy part is the 'Super Drive'. I use an external DVD burner for all my ripping.

T

the record spot

You'd get away with a netbook if you wanted to buy new and keep costs down. £200 for one of those and allow £50 for an external HDD off Amazon (Western Digital 1TB). iTunes would run fine too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts