New system for a newbie - to include some form of spotify/laptop connection

tangfastic1

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the world of Hi-fi systems, I'm fed up of listening to music through headphones, laptop speaks and poor quality computer speakers. I've got a budget of around £500, not opposed to going second hand and the room size is 16' X 12', unfortunately I am unable to fit floor standers in this room currently. I use Spotify a lot for music and I like the idea of utilising spotify connect, which has lead me to look at the Marantz M-CR610 as it seems to offer this capability. The Cd player is not so useful for me, as my other source of music would be files on my laptop. Is there an alternative receiver that I could use with a seperate amplifer that would still enable me to use my laptop and Spotify? I've been reading that the sound quality is likely to be better with a dedicated amplifer. In terms of the type of music I listen to, it's incredibly varied. I quite heavy metal industrial music, Uk Hiphop, various bass heavy electronic music, rock and indie music. I know for my budget and size restraints, I will be restricted in what I can go for. Could someone offer me some advice on the above (Spotify/laptop receiver, amplifier,speakers)? I'm based near Stoke on Trent if anyone can recommend any shops to try out. Sorry for the essay, thanks in advance for any advice, Cheers *Edit* - Sorry, my paragraphs don't seem to have worked

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Your two sources of music are Spotify and streaming files from your computer. So effectively all your sources are digital and computer-based. With that in mind have you considered bypassing the idea of a separate amp/box of tricks full of features you won't use and buying a pair of active speakers that will plug into your PC? You might have to save up another couple of hundred quid to stretch to the £700 AVI DM5, or you could look at cheaper studio monitors such as the Alesis M1 520 USB (about £180) or for more money but still in budget you could buy some Adam ARTist 5s, currently £305 for Thomann. Both of these will plug straight in to your computer via USB, while the AVIs expect to be plugged into an audio interface of some kind because they don't appear to take a digital signal from the photos I've seen.

The only problem with studio speakers like the Alesis and the Adams is their appearance is often at odds with what most wives consider aesthetically pleasing in a lounge environment. But you didn't say whether that would be an issue.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My initial thought would be something like the Yamaha RN500 networked amplifier with suitable speakers such as Q Acoustic 3020 or Dali Zensor 1, or maybe the new Marantz MCR511 (no CD player, unlike the 611). Should be within budget, try get to your local Richer Sounds.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
if you are comfortable using your computer as a source and do not mind using it to control volume, the answer is simple enough, a good inexpensive usb dac, costing £25-100 feeding a pair of Presonus Eris8 active speakers will give great results and well within budget.

If the Eris8 are not so easy to find, the Yamaha HS7 would be a decent alternative, a little cheaper too.

If you want to go down the conventional hi-fi route, then the Yamaha RN 301 does everything you need for a shade over £200, just add the best speakers you can afford.

tangfastic1

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks for your information, I understand the idea behind the active speakers. I think I failed to mention in my post about not wishing to have my laptop connected to the system by wire. I'll have a look into your suggestions.

In terms of what my wife feels about the aesthetics, that isn't an issue as I'll just go for whichever offers the best quality for the cost!

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
Y for more money but still in budget you could buy some Adam ARTist 5s, currently £305 for Thomann.

That'll be each, so a little over budget but maybe able to find B Stock within budget.

Plenty of other options within budget though from the likes of Adam, Mackie, Yamaha, Presonus etc, and my current favourite inexpensive actives Monkey Banana Turbos...

daveh75

tangfastic1 said:
Hi All,

Thanks for your information, I understand the idea behind the active speakers. I think I failed to mention in my post about not wishing to have my laptop connected to the system by wire. I'll have a look into your suggestions.

Then add a Gramofon to your list

https://gramofon.com

Or the more DIY approach, a Raspberry Pi...

tangfastic1

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
tangfastic1 said:
Hi All,

Then add a Gramofon to your list

https://gramofon.com

Or the more DIY approach, a Raspberry Pi...

I've just been reading about the Gramofon, it looks to be quite a neat bit of kit. So this should allow me to stream all the music from my laptop and use Spotify Connect. Which means I can buy a standard amplifier and passive speakers, which opens up my choice massively.

Cheers

daveh75

tangfastic1 said:
I'll take a look into the gramofon. I already use a Raspberry Pi with XBMC on my TV for streaming. How are people utilising them for home stereos?

Cheers

For hifi i use RuneAudio, which is headless, so controlled via either the web interface or MPD client.

You will need a DAC though as the analogue out on the PI is pants.

I use a Hifiberry now mainly for neatness, but have used a Behringer UCA202 (about £25) in the past. But you could use pretty much any USB DAC.

tangfastic1

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
tangfastic1 said:
I'll take a look into the gramofon. I already use a Raspberry Pi with XBMC on my TV for streaming. How are people utilising them for home stereos?

Cheers

For hifi i use RuneAudio, which is headless, so controlled via either the web interface or MPD client.

I use a Hifiberry now mainly for neatness, but have used a Behringer UCA202 (about £25) in the past. But you could use pretty much any USB DAC.

That seems like a decent solution. You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, but how would the sound quality compare between the Gramofon and a Pi with a Hifiberry DAC? I guess on the budget I have for speakers, it may be hard to notice the difference

Cheers again for the information

daveh75

tangfastic1 said:
daveh75 said:
tangfastic1 said:

Cheers

That seems like a decent solution. You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, but how would the sound quality compare between the Gramofon and a Pi with a Hifiberry DAC? I guess on the budget I have for speakers, it may be hard to notice the difference

Cheers again for the information

No idea not having compared them, but I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable difference tbh.

I would have a read of Andrew Everard's review, who has compared the Gramofon to his (costly ) Naim systems though.

http://andreweverard.com/2015/08/14/review-network-music-and-more-with-a-gramofon/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts