Mini disc separate help please

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Not sure if it is even classed as hi fi but as part of my set-up I have a Kenwood MD3090 mini disc player and recorder bought brand new around 20 years ago when I also had a portable mini disc player and I used to record CDs on the Kenwood to play on my portable.

I haven't even put a disc in it for at least 15 years - and in fact only now own one mini disc!

Tried it today and it comes up with "TOC READING" and then an error message - and then it ejects the disk.

Only suggestion for a possible fix that I can find on the web is to buy and try a mini disc cleaning disk?

Anyone got any experience/ideas please?

I was going to sell the unit...

N

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bignige said:
Hi all,

Not sure if it is even classed as hi fi but as part of my set-up I have a Kenwood MD3090 mini disc player and recorder bought brand new around 20 years ago when I also had a portable mini disc player and I used to record CDs on the Kenwood to play on my portable.

I haven't even put a disc in it for at least 15 years - and in fact only now own one mini disc!

Tried it today and it comes up with "TOC READING" and then an error message - and then it ejects the disk.

Only suggestion for a possible fix that I can find on the web is to buy and try a mini disc cleaning disk?

Anyone got any experience/ideas please?

I was going to sell the unit...

N
I liked mini disc it was a good replacement for tape cassettes anyway I remember that you could buy a mini disc cleaner which basically was a mini disc that you loaded and it cleared the lazer inside .

but as it’s been years now and mini disc is obsolete I do not think you could get one now unless you look on eBay you never know you might find one but that might sort the player out or the mini disc it’s self has gone bad as it has been 20 years or more when mini disc came out .

but failing that if your selling the hifi I would just put problem with mini disc player as it has been some years now

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Don't know if it will help butI found this on the net. I had a similar problem with a CD player once too and this fixed it.

https://www.petervis.com/CD_and_DVD_Players/toc-reading-no-disc-error-fixed/toc-reading-no-disc-error-fixed.html

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
TOC is Table Of Contents. Basically the disc just needs reformatting / erasing because the TOC has become corrupt. If reformatting it fails or your machine won't do a full format on it for some reason, you'll proably have to source another disc. Couple of quid on eBay.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I've got a sony minidisc deck and a draw full of discs, thinking about selling mine toits just been sitting in spare room for months (years) actually

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If it's previously worked on his machine then I think we can safely say it's not a data disc; you're right they won't generally play on normal minidisc players

bignige said:
Hi Major

I don't know how I can erase/format the disc as after it has displayed "TOC READING" several times it simply ejects the disk...

N

Would suggest buying a couple of other discs to try. You're never going to know whether your machine is faulty or if the disc is faulty without substituting a known good one of either.

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have a Sony unit of similar age which had a similar problem. A cat peed on it but that is not relevant here!

If the disc does not load completely you will get error messages-try changing the loading belt which will almost certainly have perished after 20 years. Look on the CPC or RS websites. Get one a tad smaller in diameter than your by now rather stretched original-it may have turned to a sticky mess-clean pulleys and replace belt-it is very small. Classic problem after many years on many things

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Further though

take a cotton bud, dismantle the laser unit and gently wipe the surface of the laser lens-if you are lucky the lens will be visible without too much dismantling. I use a small amount of alcohol (IPA) as well but be careful as it may attack the lens surface-dry is better but less effective

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts