Mids harsh with Oberon 5s?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

Triangle esprit titus ez im having a hard time getting to sound agressive, good sensitivity and goes below 4 ohm so pleanty of power to play loud.

A subwoofer for them don't cost much and the original triangle sub (the cheapest they make ) is around 500 euros

rainsoothe

EDIT: answered in the wrong thread. But for you, I'd blame some of it on the speaker cable, I always found QED kind of overpowering in the top. Find a pair of sh Tellurium Q Black II (has to be II, not the first iteration).

abacus

EDIT: answered in the wrong thread. But for you, I'd blame some of it on the speaker cable, I always found QED kind of overpowering in the top. Find a pair of sh Tellurium Q Black II (has to be II, not the first iteration).
Verifiable evidence please, otherwise your reply is meaningless. (Or if it's just your personal opinion then say so)

Bill

Reactions: DougK1 and Stuart83

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Ive found the mids a bit harsh as well im running an A15 with acoustic energy 500 speakers kind of not liking it i like my sound a bit laid back Im thinking this might be the amp.

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Try Triangle esprit titus ez or wharfedale diamond 220 or one of the bigger floorstand speakers
Hi yes was thinking of going back to floor standers id changed my MA bonze 6's out for the AE's and im not sure about them if im being honest.
I was running some B&W 601's with my old Arcam A32 that was a nice combo ive run 601's for around 30 years a lot of people say they are bright ive never found them to be so. Always very smooth anyway i had a bit of a problem with the AE's had to send them back to get looked at. So i bought a set of nice used 601's set these up im liking the EQ a bit better but the mids are still a bit harsh which leads me to thinking these new Arcam Amps are not as laid back as the older ones. And to make things worse im still paying for the AE's. ;-(

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
FYI, today I A-B'd the Oberons with the A5 vs a couple of other amps and found the A5 to be noticeably harsh in the high mids and treble in comparison. I'm swapping my A5 out for an Audiolab 6000A and am going to see how that goes. The Audiolab had what I would describe as slightly less clarity than the A5, but it was still very good. But the treble etc was a lot less painful. Will report back when I get them into my room.

Reactions: Messiah

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Many think the 6000a is somehow sterile sounding

For a warmer sound try marantz, how about a tube amp ?
Everyone has an opinion, but it's so subjective that largely it's worth ignoring and finding out for yourself I think. I demoed a Marantz and it was warmer, but less space than the Audiolab, which wasn't as warm but clearer but not harsh like the Arcam. Just my ears in a demo room. So take that as you will.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I tried the Arcam A5 and too noticed a lot of clarity and large soundstage it sounded very good indeed with fyne audio speakers.
It's a shame there seems to be a inharmonious pairing between your amp and speakers.

It's very covieniantly enticing to just go from reviews which I'm myself guilty of in the past so in no way am I being condescending but even if travelling distance makes things difficult always try to demo amps with their intended speakers.
A home demo which with richer sounds at least is possible with most UK addresses or indeed in-store demo at (any) best suited hifi shop if they have the same or similar amp in stock.
If not I've even taken my own amp with me and traveled further afield to avoid such problems.

As inconvenient as it all may be to do such thing's it's far less expensive and/or upsetting than finding out the (other) way.

It's harder if not impossible for obvious reasons to find reviews of how whatever amps, speaker and anciliries combos holistically connected together sound so leaves it wide open for such pairing blunders.

Anyway that said i hope you get round your problem and get back to enjoying your music.

Reactions: nosiesta

manicm

Two things
Hi there

I recently bought some new kit. I have Dali Oberon 5 speakers & an Arcam A5 amp.

I'm finding the (what I would call...) high mids quite harsh. So for example a crash cymbal sort of range. Can anyone offer any advice? Could it be that the kit just needs to run in?

I'm finding the same issue with both my turntable and my CD player, so it's definitely not a 'source' issue I don't think. I never had this with my old kit (Rotel RA02 & Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s)

The speakers are up against a wall and I have tried different distances, which does affect the overall sound, but not so much these mids. The cabling is all decent QED new kit too.

Thanks

Two things with your speakers, and I would say this of any other one you install:

1. They're too close really. Need to be further apart.
2. Dalis generally don't recommend it, but in your case with any other speaker I would do the same - don't toe-in at all. Fire the speakers straight ahead.
3. My gut tells me even if you replace the A5 with another amp in your room, you may still hear some harshness. I would also try other speakers in your room.

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
im really interested to know just how much those QA 3050i's dampen down the harsh EQ on the Arcam is it really a big difference?

Last edited:

manicm

im really interested to know just how much those QA 3050i's dampen down the harsh EQ on th Arcam is it really a big difference?

Thing is the OP heard them in a demo room - ideally he needs to demo at his own home. In his case what would be easier is to get a dealer to lend him a few different speakers for a weekend to test in his own room. Especially since the speakers will be so near to each other.

Reactions: speedthing

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Agree. Will demo the Audiolab tomorrow and see where I'm at. Can't really get the speakers further apart, as restricted with the room etc - one would end up being a sofa. Can only do what I can do.

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
So the Audiolab arrived today, and the harshness has gone. It sounds fantastic. Not perfect, but for the price & with the constraints I have over space, it's really flippin' good. I'm even wondering what their CD player (6700) sounds like against my Arcam CD73... purely for having 1 remote! First World Problems!

rainsoothe

Should he invite you to come over so you can listen to his system with qed speaker cable, he might not own anymore ?
Oh, I was indeed thinking of inviting him over for something I actually DO have equipment for...

OP can just get a pair of used TQ Black 2, listen with his own ears, and if they don't like it just move them on if they dont cure the problem, only losing postage money in the process. You know, before he starts changing speakers or other components.

gasolin

I would try Blue II Speaker Cables From Tellurium Q

I wanted it myself but do to experience with inakustisk i chosed Inakustik ls-502 with rhodium bfa plugs + a discount

2024-07-31 17_18_12-Inakustik Referenz LS-502 højttalerkabel – Google Chrome.jpg2024-07-31 17_17_59-Inakustik Referenz BFA-103 bananstik – Google Chrome.jpg

Very neutral not sharp sounding cable, i though bass was a little lacking in the start but settled to a normal level

A little challenging to terminate but not super hard, this cable,plugs costs 210 ish euros, depending on discount, it's very reasonable, is in the highest tier from inakustik referenz (air referenz is the ultimate), right price,quality,sound for speakers that cost 700-1000 euros for a pair or a pair of kef ls50 meta, i even think it would be good using Harbeth p3esr which is much more expensive then kef ls50 meta

2x4 meter LS-8005 AIR Pure Silver is €117,000.00

Both cables, mine and the LS-8005 AIR Pure Silver is in the same referenz class,tier

It's better then something like qed silver anniversary xt which i also think the Blue II Speaker Cables From Tellurium Q is

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

I would try Blue II Speaker Cables From Tellurium Q

I wanted it myself but do to experience with inakustisk i chosed Inakustik ls-502 with rhodium bfa plugs + a discount

View attachment 7227View attachment 7228

Very neutral not sharp sounding cable, i though bass was a little lacking in the start but settled to a normal level

A little challenging to terminate but not super hard, this cable,plugs costs 210 ish euros, depending on discount, it's very reasonable, is in the highest tier from inakustik referenz (air referenz is the ultimate), right price,quality,sound for speakers that cost 700-1000 euros for a pair or a pair of kef ls50 meta, i even think it would be good using Harbeth p3esr which is much more expensive then kef ls50 meta

2x4 meter LS-8005 AIR Pure Silver is €117,000.00

Both cables, mine and the LS-8005 AIR Pure Silver is in the same referenz class,tier

It's better then something like qed silver anniversary xt which i also think the Blue II Speaker Cables From Tellurium Q is
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Tellurium Q :ROFLMAO:, great name!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts