Mid range driver not working (Please see the photo)

AlexJealux

Jun 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

While I was listening to music all of sudden one speaker stop functioning. So I took out the midrange driver and saw that the wire underneath the cone has come off. There is no sound coming from the midrange whatsoever. I dont know what might have caused this to happen. My speaker(Tannoy 632) is pretty old. Just wanted to know if it can be repaired without having to buy a used driver since I couldn't find one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Gray

Hi all,

While I was listening to music all of sudden one speaker stop functioning. So I took out the midrange driver and saw that the wire underneath the cone has come off. There is no sound coming from the midrange whatsoever. I dont know what might have caused this to happen. My speaker(Tannoy 632) is pretty old. Just wanted to know if it can be repaired without having to buy a used driver since I couldn't one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Look at the other wire, follow it into the cone so you see what you're dealing with.
On the detached one, see if you can see any sign of the voicecoil wire that the lead-out wire was attached to (you can see the soldered end on the detached wire).
If it's even possible, that's not going to be an easy fix (not least because of your restricted access to it) but ultimately, you've got nothing to lose by attempting a careful repair.
Once poked back through the cone, the wire might need to be reconnected on the front side of the cone - but the joining point is probably covered by a dust cap!

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexJealux

AlexJealux

Jun 10, 2020
Visit site
Look at the other wire, follow it into the cone so you see what you're dealing with.
On the detached one, see if you can see any sign of the voicecoil wire that the lead-out wire was attached to (you can see the soldered end on the detached wire).
If it's even possible, that's not going to be an easy fix (not least because of your restricted access to it) but ultimately, you've got nothing to lose by attempting a careful repair.
Once poked back through the cone, the wire might need to be reconnected on the front side of the cone - but the joining point is probably covered by a dust cap!

Exactly, just looking at it seems like its going to be a challenge with the tinsel wire as it is pretty flimsy. I dont want to risk it and mess it up even more doing it myself. Think I'll get it repaired. I appreciate your response, thank you.

Reactions: Gray

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

While I was listening to music all of sudden one speaker stop functioning. So I took out the midrange driver and saw that the wire underneath the cone has come off. There is no sound coming from the midrange whatsoever. I dont know what might have caused this to happen. My speaker(Tannoy 632) is pretty old. Just wanted to know if it can be repaired without having to buy a used driver since I couldn't find one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
There is a complete Tannoy cone/midbass driver for sale on ebay for your 632s, looks new.
It is ebay UK but think seller will post almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexJealux

AlexJealux

Jun 10, 2020
Visit site
There is a complete Tannoy cone/midbass driver for sale on ebay for your 632s, looks new.
It is ebay UK but think seller will post almost anywhere.

Thank you, appreciate it a lot. but lol postage costs £91 and adds up to £136.58 with import charges etc.. I will most likely get it repaired

Reactions: eazyryder

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts