Microsoft revamps windows 8 to 8.1

I was reading about it yesterday. Some very interesting improvements. Check the video in this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/10145072/Windows-8.1-Preview-Start-button-and-3D-printing-built-in.html

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Still no return of the proper start menu - the no.1 feature users asked for.

The 3rd party addons that restore the full win7 start button/menu are still the best bet.

It should be noted that this is only a PREVIEW of windows 8.1, not the official release and not something you would probably want on your main computer.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I installed the "classic desktop" which included the old start button, and found it irritating and got rid. TIFKAM is fine imo once you get used to it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Still no return of the proper start menu - the no.1 feature users asked for.

Not sure you'll ever get that. It would be too much of a U-turn and it would look like the $$$ spent on the new interface was wasted.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I remember when Microsoft launched Windows NT. Microsoft said "NT" stood for "New Technology". Everyone else said it stood for "No Thanks".

Getting used to Wndows 8, and getting your applications to run on it is a pain, but once you get used to the two-step process of getting to your desktop it isn't that bad. That having been said, most businesses seem to have shunned 8 and stuck to 7 or even XP, and I heard a few months ago that Microsoft was including vouchers to switch back to 7 with all new PC purchases. The wife bought the new PCs for her business (all Windows 8 ) before the about-turn, but my media "bitsa" (ask an old biker if you don't know what a Bitsa is) will be running 7. It took me a month to get 8 and all the applications working on my main PC and I lost a shedload of old data in the process - grrrr....

In other news, I hear Amazon UK is now offering the same AutoRIP bonus Amazon US has been running for a few months now. On most mainstream albums you can download a full MP3 rip of the album as soon as you buy the CD, and using Amazon's cloud player means you can listen to the music on several (can't remember how many, sorry) registered devices - for me that's two PCs and the Droid which I play back through the audio jack into the car stereo. I can also download the MP3s onto a portable hard disk and play themback through the AV receiver. I also use the Amazon rips as stand-ins until FLAC-ing (as opposed to FRAC-ing - sorry, I'm in the oil business) the new CDs as soon as they're unwrapped, and before putting them away, hopefully for posterity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts