MF X-Ray v8 vs. Arcam CD73

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I wonder whether anyone had a chance comparing those two CD players. I've got the Arcam, but since I'm using it with an MF X-Can v8, I always felt like changing the CDP to the MF. Any thoughts? I listen mostly to classical and jazz, but also some pop. I like a warmish yet detailed sound.

Thanks,

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I have the MF and have listened to the Arcam. The MF is less warm, considerably more detailed and faster sounding than the 73. Your music will sound clearer, better organised and you'll have an easier time hearing in the mix. I can't really remember enough to make any further comparisons.

The MF seems to be very well balanced without being boring. It's not an exciting player nor is it dull. In fact, it's a bit fit and forget, unlike some other players on the market. Words like clean, fast, detailed spring to mind. Bit like an XRay machine! Suits me well.

Hedgehog:

Hi all,

I wonder whether anyone had a chance comparing those two CD players. I've got the Arcam, but since I'm using it with an MF X-Can v8, I always felt like changing the CDP to the MF. Any thoughts? I listen mostly to classical and jazz, but also some pop. I like a warmish yet detailed sound.

Thanks,

Hedgehog

May I make a suggestion? I've not heard any MF gear so can't comment on that front. Igglebert is right the CD73 is a fairly warm CDP. I used to use Chord interconnects and found that they tended to accentuate the warmth on the Arcam. In using a different interconnect - it won't significantly alter the sonic character - it will give the CDP more transparency. The result is you still have the warmth, but the extra openness balances out the sound - and it is noticable.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice, both.

Igglebert, I like what you're saying but wonder whether I'll sacrifce some of the warmth that I do like in the Arcam...PP, my problem is that there is nothing in this setup that I dislike. It's just that originally I wanted to get the MF X-Ray for synergy, looks and the possibility of adding a regular amp + speakers later. However, when I needed a CDP I couldn't find an X-Ray at the right price, so I went for the Arcam. Now I've seen a few X-Rays and wonder what I'm missing...

Truth be told, I'm in a conundrum: as much as I like the MF X-Can + AKG K701s, I'd much rather have a speaker-based setup. But I'm in a temporary job away from home and don't know what my living situation will be in six months time. So, really, I shouldn't buy anything now but wait till I know about the new place. Then I'd know whether I should go for an all MF setup + speakers or, possibly, an all-Rega setup, which sounds very tempting, too. Or maybe even AVI ADM9.1s (yes, I've heard them, but not for long enough yet).

Probably should enjoy the Arcam, which is quite good, save the money and use it for the real upgrade that will be coming. -- Or am I missing something here?

Hedgehog

Hedgehog:

Thanks for your advice, both.

Igglebert, I like what you're saying but wonder whether I'll sacrifce some of the warmth that I do like in the Arcam...PP, my problem is that there is nothing in this setup that I dislike. It's just that originally I wanted to get the MF X-Ray for synergy, looks and the possibility of adding a regular amp + speakers later. However, when I needed a CDP I couldn't find an X-Ray at the right price, so I went for the Arcam. Now I've seen a few X-Rays and wonder what I'm missing...

Truth be told, I'm in a conundrum: as much as I like the MF X-Can + AKG K701s, I'd much rather have a speaker-based setup. But I'm in a temporary job away from home and don't know what my living situation will be in six months time. So, really, I shouldn't buy anything now but wait till I know about the new place. Then I'd know whether I should go for an all MF setup + speakers or, possibly, an all-Rega setup, which sounds very tempting, too. Or maybe even AVI ADM9.1s (yes, I've heard them, but not for long enough yet).

Probably should enjoy the Arcam, which is quite good, save the money and use it for the real upgrade that will be coming. -- Or am I missing something here?

Hedgehog

Understand your problem. Have you got analogue sources? if so, then active speakers probably won't be the answer; for all their practicalities, most only have 1 or 2 analogue inputs.

This is why I mentioned different interconnects: I had a similar problem. The warmth from the CDP was fine but it stiffled the other elements. When I changed to the Merlins I heard everything I expected - the best of both worlds, and at a fraction of the cost of a full-blown upgrade.

Good luck, pp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts