Met the Bowers and Wilkins guy in Bestbuy today....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Quite by chance, the area B&W sales manager.

Apparently, and I didn't appreciate this, all the made-in-China B&W speakers are assembled in a B&W owned plant there, using drivers manufactured and exported from Worthing. The factory in China just makes the cabinets and puts the drivers in and ships them out, apparently.

Which is a lot more than can be said of some "British" speakers these days.

Benedict_Arnold said:

Apparently, and I didn't appreciate this, all the made-in-China B&W speakers are assembled in a B&W owned plant there, using drivers manufactured and exported from Worthing. The factory in China just makes the cabinets and puts the drivers in and ships them out, apparently.

Not sure I get your point here.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

I thought all they're stuff, except the very high end, was all made all in China, if you get my point. Turned out only the cabinetry and screwing together is done in China, with the high tech bits still being done in the UK by British workers.

Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

I thought all they're stuff, except the very high end, was all made all in China, if you get my point. Turned out only the cabinetry and screwing together is done in China, with the high tech bits still being done in the UK by British workers.

I see. They must save a few bob by doing that I guess and nothing wrong with those Chinese cabinets usually.

manicm

Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

I see. They must save a few bob by doing that I guess and nothing wrong with those Chinese cabinets usually.
The 685 S1 seems better finished than the S2 though. The latter looks and feels downright cheap in fact. But I guess they spent where it matters.

shadders

Hi,

What is the problem with British workers? The costs to ship equipment out to China and then ship the completed units back, and test, surely must offer minimal extra profit?

Is it the EU requirements for employment law/benefits that causes the cost for employing people in the EU to become excessive?

Is it greed?

I bought some soap - never really bothered to see where it came from, but even this was made in China.

I have yet to determine the benefits of soap.

Anyway, as per milk, where UK farmers are supported, why not the same for other aspects of the UK industry.

Regards,

Shadders.

jjbomber

shadders said:
Hi,

What is the problem with British workers?

Is it the EU requirements for employment law/benefits that causes the cost for employing people in the EU to become excessive?

Is it greed?

Anyway, as per milk, where UK farmers are supported, why not the same for other aspects of the UK industry.

Shadders.

The problem is productivity. Our levels are about 70% of French production levels. A recent survey said a lot of the problem was nepotism. Friends and relatives are seldom the best qualified for a particular position but get the job anyway.

Yes, but EU red tape has only 2 years left*biggrin*

No, not greed at all. Every business needs to lower costs or go bankrupt.

You think milk farmers are supported??? they are stitched up.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Shipping a container full of drivers to China is relatively cost efficient. The speaker drivers are comparatively dense and compact, so you get a lot into a standard 40 ft. container.
They save a fortune over shipping empty cabinets ( which take up a lot more volume) to the UK and of course Chinese materials and wages are peanuts compared to anywhere in the EU or US.
Then the finished speakers go onto a container ship across the Pacific to the US, where they go out to every BestBuy in the US.
Simples...

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Is seems there is an impression that "made in China" means inferior quality. I have even seen a review on Amazon for some bit of hifi, can't remember which one, and the reviewer returned the product, gave it a crap review, never listened to it and all because it was "made in China".

I'd love if everything I wanted/needed/bought was made locally and supported local business and community.Unfortunetely it is not. A lot of companies now do the engineering side more local, but the assembly in more cost effective locations. This is a bit sad, but the way the economy works. It is true that there are many cheap knockoffs that come from China (some good, some bad) due to the cost of labour there. I am sure that there are very many highly skilled chinease workers and excellent chinease companies. All I hope is that they have good working conditions etc as you do hear stories

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts