Message for Overdose?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe he uses a MacMini?

I want to replace my NAS with a used, older Mac Mini, which will soley used to store my CD library (about 500)

I also use a MBP which has my library on.

Is it possible to import a CD via iTunes on my MBP and get it to appear on the MacMini

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I do have a similar setup, but I usually rip twice, once to ALAC on the Mac mini, as that has the most storage and once to the MB at 192Kbps for mobile devices. I believe that it might be possible to rip at two different bitrates and specifiy locations, but obviously the two would need to be on the network.

For info, I usually use the Mac mini headless and control it with the MB via 'screen share', but iTunes can also be controlled via an iOS device or Android app, the Mac mini can also then be used as a music server and feed other mobile devices.

Hope this helps.

Edit: For further info, 500CDs will take up approx 250-300GB as ALAC files, give or take, depending on how many multiple disc sets you have.

Edit#2: Does the NAS not fit your needs? I thought that the Synology NAS was supposed to be 'the' NAS solution for iTunes users. :?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Is it possible to import a CD via iTunes on my MBP and get it to appear on the MacMini

I've just re-read your post.

Do you mean to rip to the MBP and have the files transfer to the Mac mini, or simply have the Mac mini see and use the files on the MBP?

For the latter, run iTunes from the Mac mini and point it to the library on the MBP. You will obviously need to have the MBP running iTunes as well though, but no big deal if you use it as a remote.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
NO the NAS does not fit my needs - I want gapless playback when I play WYWH, DSTOM & The Wall amongst others because I have not got it on vinyl and I cant find a cheap decent copy!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
You don't need to spend more money, way not use the Itunes on the NAS and use it as you defult player...? :?

How do you do that?

I have dowmloaded iTunes server onto my NAS but when i try to run it it gets a bit puzzling

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
You don't need to spend more money, way not use the Itunes on the NAS and use it as you defult player...? :?

How do you do that?

I have dowmloaded iTunes server onto my NAS but when i try to run it it gets a bit puzzling

With that I can not help you Steve, as I never use it... But if you google it you may find your answer... In Synology forum...

Give it a go!

:cheers:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

How do you do that?

With that I can not help you Steve, as I never use it... But if you google it you may find your answer... In Synology forum...

Give it a go!

:cheers:

It just a server so other iTunes users on your network can access your NAS

Think it just be easier to get a Mac Mini and ues that as my source and use remote iOS app to control it

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Have a tinker in the settings of iTunes or check the support. Unfortunately I'm not able to access my MB or Mac mini just yet, but I did think that it was possible to rip in two bit rates.

If iTunes doesn't do it, then have a look at XLD, this is a file conversion application that has more functions for ripping and converting. It's free by the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts