Mess up! Thoughts

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I have been wondering and interested in your views. Will Sonos recover from this disaster of an app update and with the news yesterday they can't roll back to an earlier app without causing more problems, have they done lasting damage to themselves?

Jasonovich

I have been wondering and interested in your views. Will Sonos recover from this disaster of an app update and with the news yesterday they can't roll back to an earlier app without causing more problems, have they done lasting damage to themselves?
To be honest, not familiar with the Sonos but I would imagine, the manufacturer should be able to provide a retrospective firmware, unless it's completely irretrievable. There's always the option to RMA it? It's likely to costs Sonos millions to replace those units.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
That's the trouble they've been working since May to try and rectify the issues the app update created.It seems the app was updated without proper testing.
Only last week the CEO mentioned about rolling back the app but then yesterday said, we can't roll back the app because we also updated the software that runs the speakers and the cloud services and it will be worse.
Some journalists in the tech world are saying it's time for the CEO to be replaced.

I never did regret not buying in to Sonos and, even less so now.

The software needs to be designed so you always have the option of rolling back or, installing an earlier version from scratch, in the event of a problem with an update. Also, devices need to remain fully usable after they go out of support, as with a computer OS.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I never did regret not buying in to Sonos and, even less so now.

The software needs to be designed so you always have the option of rolling back or, installing an earlier version from scratch, in the event of a problem with an update. Also, devices need to remain fully usable after they go out of support, as with a computer OS.
They learned that lesson - about older stuff still being usable - the hard way a few years ago when they updated the app and said anyone with old Sonos gear it won't work now but well let you trade in your old gear for a discount on new gear. They quickly had to back track on that, there was so much hate on social media etc, we ended up with two versions of the app S1 & S2..

They learned that lesson - about older stuff still being usable - the hard way a few years ago when they updated the app and said anyone with old Sonos gear it won't work now but well let you trade in your old gear for a discount on new gear. They quickly had to back track on that, there was so much hate on social media etc, we ended up with two versions of the app S1 & S2..
They were not the only ones that needed to learn the lesson and, not just in HiFi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts