Meridian - any users?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Last year I purchased a Meridian Prime Headphone Amp/DAC and separate PSU. I have been really impressed with it to the point where I have started looking at whether Meridian is an option for me if I ever decided to ditch the Linn stuff. Their stuff is really high quality and alleged to have class-leading sound.

Looking at the Meridian website it's obvious that their approach to streaming (which is what I'd want) is very different to Linn's in that they don't really 'do' UPnP for example. That's left me a bit baffled as to where I'd start with them, and which of their gear I'd need, to do the equivalent of streaming my music from my NAS, or equivalent. Their product offering is baffling.

I am planning to have a chat with one of their dealers but wondered if there was anyone on here with any experience?

Thanks.
regular_smile.png

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:
Last year I purchased a Meridian Prime Headphone Amp/DAC and separate PSU. I have been really impressed with it to the point where I have started looking at whether Meridian is an option for me if I ever decided to ditch the Linn stuff. Their stuff is really high quality and alleged to have class-leading sound.

Looking at the Meridian website it's obvious that their approach to streaming (which is what I'd want) is very different to Linn's in that they don't really 'do' UPnP for example. That's left me a bit baffled as to where I'd start with them, and which of their gear I'd need, to do the equivalent of streaming my music from my NAS, or equivalent. Their product offering is baffling.

I am planning to have a chat with one of their dealers but wondered if there was anyone on here with any experience?

Thanks.

I would never buy from company with mqa blood on their hands

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
meridian was and I guess still is a closed system i.e. you need Meridian parts for it to work.
similar to Roon you need a storage and core and an endpoint. Some of their products are all of these in one. It's been a few years since I owned a Meridian streaming setup it may have changed.

You should demo and see if you like their upscaling and apodising filter because it's all built around that in terms of sound quality.

Hello, Paul

Many moons ago, I think it was ‘86, I won a system at a Hifi show in Heathrow. It included the then new modular MLP preamp from Meridian. They’d already made a mark in the new CD market with their modified Marantz/Philips top loader.

I replaced that after a few years with a 208 or 508 or some such, which was a CD player and combined preamp, with a MC stage too. About £1,600 at the time. In 1998 it was stolen in a burglary, and I replaced it with my Krell duo, amp and CD player.

These days I’m not convinced by Meridian. Bob Stuart is a very clever man, and had some great products. They were early into active speakers, decades ago, and digital system early on too. But lost the plot a bit, and I’m not impressed with MQA which seems to be a pension fund, he hopes!

Personally, I’ve give it a miss, but no harm in exploring. They’ve always done their own thing, which is often admirable.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Hello, Paul

Many moons ago, I think it was ‘86, I won a system at a Hifi show in Heathrow. It included the then new modular MLP preamp from Meridian. They’d already made a mark in the new CD market with their modified Marantz/Philips top loader.

I replaced that after a few years with a 208 or 508 or some such, which was a CD player and combined preamp, with a MC stage too. About £1,600 at the time. In 1998 it was stolen in a burglary, and I replaced it with my Krell duo, amp and CD player.

These days I’m not convinced by Meridian. Bob Stuart is a very clever man, and had some great products. They were early into active speakers, decades ago, and digital system early on too. But lost the plot a bit, and I’m not impressed with MQA which seems to be a pension fund, he hopes!

Personally, I’ve give it a miss, but no harm in exploring. They’ve always done their own thing, which is often admirable.

Hi nopiano

Thanks for that - it's always good to get insight when considering something new.

I am as intrigued by Meridian's 'expertise' as I am put off by the treatment I have had from Linn this week. I will probably end up sticking with Linn but am becoming increasingly miffed by their blatant disregard for customers. I was all ready to 'go Katalyst' but they have just made it difficult and have been particularly obstinate this week (again). Despite it costing me £2k!

I am not going to cut my nose off to spite my face but am seriously scouring the market for alternative products which meet the needs I have in terms of sound quality and product quality. I am getting cheesed off with Linn's constant changes/upgrades at significant cost when the initial investment in their gear is hardly insubstantial.

For their faults, Meridian know a thing or two about sound and I am also looking at Electrocompaniet as I understand there's some serious science behind their products also.

I would wholly agree that Meridian's market offering is very closed and not easy to understand. That said (dons hard hat) I do actually like MQA and am revelling in listening to it via the Meridian Prime and Tidal Masters. Each to their own I suppose.

Hope you are still enjoying the Sneaky!
regular_smile.png

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That was my old system with the Meridian components in it - I have had quite a lot of them from CD player to the 861 Av Processor.

My room and system has come a long way since then :)

I can understand the service thing can be frustrating. I’ve just wasted 30 minutes with an electricity company who couldn’t explain why they wanted to increase my bill!

With your Linn, there’s no ‘need’ to upgrade it. Surely it sounds just as good as when you got it! But obviously they’ve made an upgrade possible, and they’re good at that, whereas Naim want to sell you power supply that costs more than the original box!

I’m not sure of anyone that does better streaming, but if ripping then innuos Zenith with say a Hugo DAC would be pretty good.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
A little investigating, and a lengthy chat with a very helpful Meridian dealer, today confirmed that setting up Meridian gear is far from easy to the inexperienced though I know more now than I did before. I did manage to clarify what kit I would need to replicate the Linn setup I have and it looks quite impressive but expensive.

Next step: demo in a couple of weeks along with similar offerings from Leema and Naim (sorry God!) as all are at the same dealer. That'll be a good day out
regular_smile.png

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paulq,

I can we’ll understand your frustration with Linn. I’ve been told today that my Akurate upgrade has been logged with them. “Does this mean it’s gone off to them” I asked somewhat naively. “Not quite yet” came the answer I was fully expecting.

it appears that Linn are struggling to meet the demand for upgrades. An image of a worker in a shed with soldering iron springs to mind. I just hope it sounds like the dogs danglers when it returns (2019 or 2020).

I read another glowing review of a Lema Streamer (the audiophile man - Paul Rigby). Leema seem like a company that knows what they’re doing.

Not sure about Meridian. They used to have a fantastic reputation but when Sooloos was born, I think prices went skywards.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've heard Meridian Active speakers, DSP 5200 I think....they sounded pretty good, but were expensive.

I was also impressed by the F80....but you paid for it.

None of this really helps. Sorry.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Hi Paulq,

I can we’ll understand your frustration with Linn. I’ve been told today that my Akurate upgrade has been logged with them. “Does this mean it’s gone off to them” I asked somewhat naively. “Not quite yet” came the answer I was fully expecting.

it appears that Linn are struggling to meet the demand for upgrades. An image of a worker in a shed with soldering iron springs to mind. I just hope it sounds like the dogs danglers when it returns (2019 or 2020).

I read another glowing review of a Lema Streamer (the audiophile man - Paul Rigby). Leema seem like a company that knows what they’re doing.

Not sure about Meridian. They used to have a fantastic reputation but when Sooloos was born, I think prices went skywards.

Hi Pedro2

They really are taking the mick - yours is the second of those stories I have heard this week. Mine, as you know, is a little different in that I wanted to go ahead and upgrade my Akurate to Katalyst (£1800) and also have the casing changed from silver to black (£450). Bear in mind that very few people have actually heard Katalyst and yet everyone is getting very excited about it. I was prepared, perhaps unwisely, to invest a further £2200 in my own streamer on something which may not sound as good as some people would have you believe. Exakt springs to mind......

Just so the maths are straight my ADSM cost £6400 and the new ones are now £7500.

Meridian's system would have to consist of:

Zone controller 218 - £729

Media Core 200 - £1249 but can be had cheaper

DSP5200.2 Active speakers £6000

Total £8500 ish.

Also, bear in mind that with the Meridian option you are basically getting the same technology at point of purchase as Linn's Exakt so how much would the Linn cost have to escalate by (Exaktbox) to get to the same point as Exaktboxes are not cheap though, unsurprisingly, are now being made available very cheaply second hand. So the Linn equivalent is actually more expensive.

That's all very well of course but I don't know how it sounds and Meridian pretty much lock you into buying their stuff if you ever want to upgrade.

The Leema stuff I am not at all familiar with but the more I hear the more appealing they are so it would be remiss of me not to have a look at them too. It's a pity the new Naim streamers are not yet available despite my not being wholly convinced about Naim streaming stuff.

So, as ever, the journey continues but I need to approach it sensibly as, for me, it's important to only change for the right reasons and not on a whim. I have just become wholly disenchanted with Linn's attitude towards customers and after sales care in recent months so I am really open minded to ditch them if I can find something that I am equally as happy with. You simply can't treat customers that way and expect to get their repeat business. Of the 3 dealers I spoke to today all, independently, stated that they wouldn't care a bean if Linn closed their account.

Hope you get some joy with them soon.
regular_smile.png

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I've heard Meridian Active speakers, DSP 5200 I think....they sounded pretty good, but were expensive.

They are the speakers I plan to demo in a couple of weeks. The dealer described their presentation as slightly 'bright' so we will see. I have the option to retain the Acoustic Energy Actives and use them with the Meridian Core and endpoint if I wished but I'd be missing out on all the alleged wizardry of Meridian's active speakers.

The DSP5200.2's are £6k.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

They are the speakers I plan to demo in a couple of weeks.  The dealer described their presentation as slightly 'bright' so we will see.  I have the option to retain the Acoustic Energy Actives and use them with the Meridian Core and endpoint if I wished but I'd be missing out on all the alleged wizardry of Meridian's active speakers.

The DSP5200.2's are £6k.
It's a long time ago since I heard them....probably 9 or 10 years ago. I don't remember them being bright and liking them better than Linn Speakers.

It will be interesting to know what you think.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Another couple of alternatives I have looked at are the Moon 390 Network Player/Preamp:

https://simaudio.com/en/product/390-network-player-preamplifier/

and Moon Neo Ace:

https://simaudio.com/en/product/ace-all-in-one-music-player/

both of these look really impressive and get rave reviews so will add them to the list. Anyone heard any of their gear?

Paulq said:
Another couple of alternatives I have looked at are the Moon 390 Network Player/Preamp:

and Moon Neo Ace:

both of these look really impressive and get rave reviews so will add them to the list. Anyone heard any of their gear?
Funnily enough I was going to mention the MiND streamer yesterday. I’ve only heard them briefly - integrated amp and CD player - but always loved the looks and design ethos. Worth a closer look I’m sure.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I think the new Simaudio/Moon stuff is definitely worth a look and the more i look the more i find like:

http://www.lindemann-audio.de/en/products/musicbook-series/digital-sources/musicbook25-dsd/summary/

http://www.analogueseduction.net/music-servers-streamers/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player.html

https://us.auralic.com/products/altair

The key will be the listening however, I am sure they are all very good in their own right but I am looking for something to at least match the performance of the Akurate and, possibly, Majik.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Another couple of alternatives I have looked at are the Moon 390 Network Player/Preamp:

and Moon Neo Ace:

I really liked the look of the Moon i7. The reviews were excellent, saying it was dynamic and refined....and I could get it ex-dem for a very tempting price.

I brought it home (along with the 35i) for a long weekend. With my Kef Refs, it sounded shouty when the volume was turned up and not a patch on the 35i for an engaging listen.

I have also heard Moon with Totem...and again didn't like the effect. I preferred the sound of the CDP player that I did hear along with a Coda CSi Amp.

It was exceedingly well built and many people are very happy with Moon.....so it's certainly worth hearing.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Today was demo day and a new experience for me in listening to Meridian gear for the first time. I used a Meridian Music Core 200, Zone Controller 218 and DSP5200.2 speakers.

One word.

Wow.

I must admit to being utterly blown away by the standard of the speakers; both in terms of build quality and sonic capabilities. They are not the most aesthetically pleasing beasts but my goodness their sound is mind-blowing. I have never ever heard instrument separation and clarity like it and shudder to think what the more expensive ones sound like.

I am really torn with what to do. I am sorely tempted to plump for the Meridian kit but slightly offputting is their somewhat complex setup and source arrangements. The dealer would support with that though. Other alternative is another Linn Akurate DSM with the Katalyst DAC which I have never heard but is gaining almost universal acclaim (admittedly mainly from the Linn forum so not entirely objective). I have received a couple of direct reviews from people I have got to know and they are also positive and hold far more weight than the Linn disciples.

Setup with the Linn is a breeze - very simple UPnP server and Tidal integration through their control and setup apps. That's a big draw.

The net cost to me between the 2 setups is broadly the same.

Need the weekend to decide
regular_smile.png

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like a tricky one for you, Paulq!

Trouble is, without having both systems side by side in your room it might not be the easiest of choices (or am I wrong?)

I'm not sure that a new Akurate DSM3 (Kat) is worth the £7.5k price tage if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, it sounds brilliant and there's another layer of accuracy/realism with the upgrade. However, it still sounds like a Linn Akurate! I think the cost new is rather steep (for my wallet) but then the move to Meridian is going to be similar. Good luck over the weekend.

One last thought; I'll post my thoughts on the Akurate Kat upgrade sometime this week. I've also responded to a post by Mond on digital volume that may be of interest. All the best!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Pedro2

It is a tricky one as either option involves outlay and it's difficult to know which, if either, represents the better 'investment'. The Meridian system was, no doubt, amazing and the beauty of it was that I could also sell my MDSM and have money left over to purchase a second Zone Controller thus reducing the overall cost of Meridian the cost further and still ending up with a multi-zone system, which is what I want.

However, a further option is to say sod it and just buy another Majik DSM and be done with it. It's easy to forget how capable a system that is for the money, particularly once you start to venture into the echelons of Akurate etc. I'm remaining pretty grounded with it, to be honest, and ultimately will make a sensible decision based on what represents the best value for money. I agree that Akurate is getting silly and the cost of buying a second hand one and paying for the Katalyst upgrade doesn't really appeal because of the cost - I am just not sure what 'more' I'd be getting whereas, with the Meridian' I am effectively getting the equivalent of Exakt......but that sounds better IMO (I never liked Exakt).

As it stands I am probably leaning towards the Meridian setup given the quality of it and also that it gets me off the Linn upgrade merry go round. I'll take some time this week and make a call after a further listen next weekend.

Looking forward to your detailed appraisal of the Katalyst Akurate!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I don't know what the heart's saying yet apart from it'll be a leap of faith leaving Linn after 25 years or so....if I do.

And the heart ain't gonna pay for anything so it can take its rightful place in the queue.
regular_smile.png

Paulq said:
I don't know what the heart's saying yet apart from it'll be a leap of faith leaving Linn after 25 years or so....if I do.

And the heart ain't gonna pay for anything so it can take its rightful place in the queue.
Apologies if I’ve missed it, but have you listened to a Linn system of similar price? Or is that essentially your current system?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Paulq said:

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but have you listened to a Linn system of similar price? Or is that essentially your current system?

Hi nopiano

Yeah the ADSM and Meridian are 'broadly' the same. The Linn technology is in the box whereas Meridian's is in the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts