Meridian - any users?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The 5200 are hard to beat at the price. I'm really considering getting some but I'm not keen on the tweeter. It can sound a bit cheap but the midrange is just superb and has great punch. And all you need is a source for music and your away. Mqa is just something they come up with and is now sold to someone else. There older products have not been great and I'm not a fan but the newer range has me wanting more. I have friends that work there and they all have meridian gear at home so I get to test what's on offer

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have managed to squeeze a couple of dealers over the weekend to a point where I have an excellent deal on offer if I decide to push the button.

I didn't detect the issue with the tweeters you mention but the ones I demo'd were the 5200.2's. I understand the models with Berrylium tweeters are something else.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
I have managed to squeeze a couple of dealers over the weekend to a point where I have an excellent deal on offer if I decide to push the button.

I didn't detect the issue with the tweeters you mention but the ones I demo'd were the 5200.2's.  I understand the models with Berrylium tweeters are something else.

How do you feel about the Adam actives now?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:

I didn't detect the issue with the tweeters you mention but the ones I demo'd were the 5200.2's.  I understand the models with Berrylium tweeters are something else.
the tweeter is just a niggle I have it's not a deal breaker. The speakers I have at the moment have an amazing tweeter that I love. As I said before they are hard to beat at the price. Active speakers are way better than passive. You get an amp for every driver and active cross overs which are way better than passive.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Paulq said:

I didn't detect the issue with the tweeters you mention but the ones I demo'd were the 5200.2's. I understand the models with Berrylium tweeters are something else.

I ended up not keeping them and still have the AE1's.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
the tweeter is just a niggle I have it's not a deal breaker. The speakers I have at the moment have an amazing tweeter that I love. As I said before they are hard to beat at the price. Active speakers are way better than passive. You get an amp for every driver and active cross overs which are way better than passive.

I agree and already have them in the AE1's which, coupled with the Linn stuff (Akurate and Majik) are very capable and engaging. That's part of the dilemma - whether the Meridian gear is 'enough' better to justify the outlay. Plus it's rather more complex unless I buy a MediaCore to handle Sooloos. That makes it simpler than installing Sooloos on a QNAP NAS but adds in an extra cost and limits the storage capacity.

When you get to this stage it's difficult trying to reconcile improvement with cost. The Meridian gear is expensive as would be a new Linn Akurate with Katalyst. A new Majik DSM isn't cheap either but that's the hierarchy of cost that I am thinking about.

There are other options too of course but one of my must-haves is simplicity and ease of use.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:
seemorebtts said:

I agree and already have them in the AE1's which, coupled with the Linn stuff (Akurate and Majik) are very capable and engaging.  That's part of the dilemma - whether the Meridian gear is 'enough' better to justify the outlay.  Plus it's rather more complex unless I buy a MediaCore to handle Sooloos.  That makes it simpler than installing Sooloos on a QNAP NAS but adds in an extra cost and limits the storage capacity.

When you get to this stage it's difficult trying to reconcile improvement with cost.  The Meridian gear is expensive as would be a new Linn Akurate with Katalyst.  A new Majik DSM isn't cheap either but that's the hierarchy of cost that I am thinking about.

There are other options too of course but one of my must-haves is simplicity and ease of use.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173364716845

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Yeah thanks - I have seen that one. The speakers are the 5200's whereas I am after the 5200.2's....not sure what the difference is but I believe the 5200.2's are 'better'.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:
Paulq said:

I ended up not keeping them and still have the AE1's.

About this would be appreciated.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Active crossovers are actually way worse in one key respect: the number (and type) of active amplification devices in the signal path. This really deserves a separate thread - which I will start when I get round to it. The opening post will be a long one.

The number of amplification devices in the signal path of some active speakers is quite shockingly high. And this is reflected in the sound (in my opinion / from my experience / anecdotal evidence).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
The Meridian setup was simply too expensive at the end of the day so I have parked it for now - may revisit next year if circumstances allow.

Thanks to all who responded.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thanks for the update, and sorry you couldn’t proceed. That said, it’s always better to be safe than sorry with a significant investment like you were considering.

Yep it is. I was very keen to go ahead but for one reason and another the numbers were just too much and you have to be sensible. Managed to bag myself a mint ex-demo Majik DSM/2 as a replacement. Very capable and gets me out of all the Katalyst upgrade stuff whilst still retaining the Linn sound and usability I like.

I'll probably revisit the Meridian stuff at some point though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts