Members vs Moderators

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Blimey not many plain members left... everyone is becoming a moderator!! Are we expecting a large influx of new members?? :LOL:

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

There are 9 members who have been made moderators - we do seem to be among the most active posters. :unsure:

Hope we do get an influx of new members 👍
Me and Insider give you a run for your money when it comes to activity :) At least we can see who's a moderator on the new site, on the old un it was all rather covert cloak and dagger stuff. Quite pleased with who they are at the moment (y)

scene

Me and Insider give you a run for your money when it comes to activity :) At least we can see who's a moderator on the new site, on the old un it was all rather covert cloak and dagger stuff. Quite pleased with who they are at the moment (y)
Phew.

And yes you do - I'm a bit busy at work and home, so my posting time is a little reduced...

D

Deleted member 108165

Phew.

And yes you do - I'm a bit busy at work and home, so my posting time is a little reduced...
You mods aren't expected to be the backbone of this forum so don't worry about it, there's more important things in life than this. We lost a lot of good people last year who were the backbone of a good forum. We all had to find a new home, many did and have decided not to return... this is no one's fault but WHF for closing the forum, bad move. It will take years to recover... if it ever does!

scene

You mods aren't expected to be the backbone of this forum so don't worry about it, there's more important things in life than this. We lost a lot of good people last year who were the backbone of a good forum. We all had to find a new home, many did and have decided not to return... this is no one's fault but WHF for closing the forum, bad move. It will take years to recover... if it ever does!
I was a very regular poster before the forum's demise, and have became one again when it came back. I want the forum to recover. Being a mod doesn't stop me being a regular forum member, I just have to help keep the lights on and sweep up the rubbish (unpaid). But I'm happy to do that as it's part of the process of keeping the forum going.

And for the record, I was never a prefect :)

I would agree it's certainly going to take a good long while to get back to the forum of old but here's hoping....
I was quite surprised to be asked to become a moderator but accepted as I think,at times, the old forum could certainly have done with a few more that were quicker off the mark regarding some of the posts that came up

Last edited:
I would agree it's certainly going to take a good long while to get back to the forum of old but here's hoping....
I was quite surprised to be asked to become a moderator but accepted as I think,at times, the old forum could certainly have done with a few more that were quicker off the mark regarding some of the posts that came up.
I would like to add that I was never a prefect either.... :)

the old forum could certainly have done with a few more that were quicker off the mark regarding some of the posts that came up
Hiya Al

It was very strange. Approx 3-4 years before closure they decided to make the Mods unknown. Prior to that they were mostly staff (Andrew, Clare, JD etc etc) and they were very quick off the mark.

It was after that I noticed a decline in the quality of the forum. I just had the feeling, not me, some users were always looking over their respective shoulders.

I hope it gets back to somewhere near a few years ago, but recapturing the original spirit will be a completely different matter altogether.

Reactions: scene
Hiya Al

It was very strange. Approx 3-4 years before closure they decided to make the Mods unknown. Prior to that they were mostly staff (Andrew, Clare, JD etc etc) and they were very quick off the mark.

It was after that I noticed a decline in the quality of the forum. I just had the feeling, not me, some users were always looking over their respective shoulders.

I hope it gets back to somewhere near a few years ago, but recapturing the original spirit will be a completely different matter altogether.
Good to hear you are still around PP. I quite agree with you there is a long way to go to get it back to how it was but let's hope, with time, we can get somewhere near it.

Hiya Al

Welcome back! Yes, they had decided to have some anonymous mods to help with forum decorum and weed out spams. Anonymising was mainly to prevent the volunteer mods from direct abuse. It was clear that the forum was no longer a priority for the staff. It now seems that having a forum is important to Future group who took over from Haymarket, with the kind of support system in place currently.

Good to hear you are still around PP. I quite agree with you there is a long way to go to get it back to how it was but let's hope, with time, we can get somewhere near it.

To recapture the old spirit will be nigh on impossible. When I first joined in 2008 they had "Reader Rescue" which connected the users with the forum and that was followed by the Big Q. Both of those I was involved in and it made me feel apart of something different. Plus many of the posters were informative... and it was fun.

IMHO this forum needs something along those lines to kick start it. Or at least something to draw people in or back. Exactly what I've no idea, but the Wam has the Bake-off, where posters invite others to try out different kit etc etc.

3 reasons why I don't use forums much: 1) I have a kit I'm totally content with. 2) my knowledge is limited. And 3) I tend to repeat myself when replying. Repetition on a forum doesn't make great reading.

I will make the occasional appearance but only if it can be beneficial.

Reactions: bigboss and Al ears
To recapture the old spirit will be nigh on impossible. When I first joined in 2008 they had "Reader Rescue" which connected the users with the forum and that was followed by the Big Q. Both of those I was involved in and it made me feel apart of something different. Plus many of the posters were informative... and it was fun.

IMHO this forum needs something along those lines to kick start it. Or at least something to draw people in or back. Exactly what I've no idea, but the Wam has the Bake-off, where posters invite others to try out different kit etc etc.

3 reasons why I don't use forums much: 1) I have a kit I'm totally content with. 2) my knowledge is limited. And 3) I tend to repeat myself when replying. Repetition on a forum doesn't make great reading.

I will make the occasional appearance but only if it can be beneficial.
I understand where you are coming from and look forward to your occasional visit Seems quite a few of us 'oldies' first appeared in 2008... ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

You do realise WHF explained why had to close it at the time because they were moving to a new platform and the forums at the time couldn’t be moved to that new platform so they temporary closed the forum they were still active on Facebook though and the website was still here and they contacted all its members to let them know when the platform could take the forums again.

I think the new forum is fantastic! And it’s the best the forum has ever been in my opinion now.

Reactions: bigboss

Gray

You do realise WHF explained why had to close it at the time because they were moving to a new platform and the forums at the time couldn’t be moved to that new platform so they temporary closed the forum they were still active on Facebook though and the website was still here and they contacted all its members to let them know when the platform could take the forums again.

I think the new forum is fantastic! And it’s the best the forum has ever been in my opinion now.
Facebook means nothing to me and a few others gel.
Also WHF didn't contact everyone about their return.

D

Deleted member 108165

Facebook means nothing to me and a few others gel.
Also WHF didn't contact everyone about their return.
Precisely, thanks Gray. Also, Gel, WHF never said that the forum closure would be temporary! Just because you are now a mod doesn't mean that you have to jump to their defence all the time... or is it in your contract to do so?

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

We need a smiley button additional to the like button :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Precisely, thanks Gray. Also, Gel, WHF never said that the forum closure would be temporary! Just because you are now a mod doesn't mean that you have to jump to their defence all the time... or is it in your contract to do so?
I am free to post anything I want to and I wouldn’t have it any other way. :)

D

Deleted member 108165

I started this thread very tongue in cheek, it was never intended as any kind of attack on the forum or any its members, but I'm free to post anything I want to as well. Sure there's bound to be some spats between members along the way, that's life. You have a pop at me don't expect me to roll over so you can tickle my tummy.

As I previously said I am more than happy with the mods that have been selected as they all bring a wealth of experience with them, something this phoenix forum needs in abundance.

I really like this forum but we need more than 25 experienced members, (I do not include myself in this figure and it is strictly a guesstimate), to support any new members arriving requesting advice. As stated previously this forum cannot survive solely with only mods delivering opinions or advice, we need to attract and retain more experienced users as members, without this it will never rise from the ashes. The majority of new members we see just come here to get a question answered... never to be seen again.

I do blame WHF for closing the the forum last year, it was a tragedy, but Linn also did the same with their owners forum. Some, like me, are prepared to give WHF another chance, others are not and continue to remain over at the Wam along with the Linn ex-pats. People have long memories... don't expect them to forget in a hurry... we were treated abysmally.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts