Review Melomania1 - Melomania2 'Touch'

Finn

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
I never thought I would be raving on a Hi-Fi site about a set of wireless earphones (in-ear) because I didn't believe they could cut it ... without blowing the mortgage of course, but on Boxing Day and after a near 24 hour research, I 'gambled' on Cambridge Audio's inaugural step into this market, mainly because I have had their separates in the past and they never disappointed me ... Neither did these ... I was absolutely gob smacked - I can wax lyrical all day about how good they are (and I stole them on offer at £79.95) .. So on 1st January they launched the second go at the market and personally I thought they had made a rod for their back's with the Melomania1 ...but I saw the Melomania2, I saw the incredible price and thought 'if they were only AS GOOD sound wise as Melomania1, they were worth the £129.95 ... I bought a set on January 18th, just 23 days apart and I've not had either out of my head since ... You cannot fault these for sound quality I swear ... To give you a clue - I have an Astell& Kern wired set up with a set of Jerry Harvey & AK Dianas, the wireless were for a daily use whilst working etc and with an iSomething ... Just get them, you'll love them !!

Finn

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Would you say the Touch sound even better? I love my Melomnia 1s but the WHF three star review has put me off the new model

Hey Niallivm ...

I know exactly how you feel about the Melomania1, I still love them, but the Touch side by side, just gives that little bit more in the bass region, if real bass-I music is your passion and you are listening with a good output to the ears, you are going to get that depth with a bit more punch and without a distortion - The mid range is difficult to discern as improved because the Melomania1 are first class in the mid range, but if you are listening to the guitar bands, you're going to hear that lead and also keyboards just a BIT clearer, the vocals and high range are just mind blowing! I listened to a young singer from Hampshire called Jasmine Van Den Bogearde (Birdy) a very, very talented singer, writer and musician, you could be stood in the studio with her ... her vocals are just crystal without losing her immense piano playing talent in the mix ...

The Touch also comes with an app which is great ... there are easy accessible settings for phone, a small equaliser and an output option ... The firmware can be updated through this as well ...

The first release (as can often be the case with new tech) had a couple of minor bugs with connection drop but the latest firmware just cleared that problem. Mine arrived with the firmware version 0.8.5. the CEO contacted me and informed me that there was a minor issue that the tech department had already ironed out and version 1.2.3 solved the problem, he asked for a day of patience whilst it was readied for installation via the app, he kept his word and they are just great.

The buds and band, with the Melomania1 I had small buds on the end, but due to the ergonomic design of the touch, I found , after some trial and error, that the large buds and large band were right, they never feel like they are going to move let alone fall out ...

I used a Fostex DAC on both these with a decent BT 5.0 transmitter, the Melomania1's I kept the gain at the low level but the volume could ramp right through without any distortion, the Touch, has took the middle gain in it's stride and the volume without a single buzz in your ear (unless of course you inadvertently trapped a wasp when inserting them lol) I wouldn't expect ANY wireless set to cope with a DAC on full gain and ramped up, but you just won't need to even consider trying that ...

I have them in now writing this and I am just directly connected to my iPhone 5s 64GB ... They are loud and clear ...

I would have bought these at £250, BECAUSE of the Melomania1's AND because having used them, they will blow away many in that price range and well above ...

HOPE that all helps my friend ... Music is the rhythm of our lives - so keep dancing to the beat !!

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Wow - what a great response! I'd expected just a simple 'yes' or 'no' but you've gone way beyond that will a full, heartfelt review so you're obviously in love with them :)
Like you, I bought the Melanomia 1s for convenience rather than sound quality but now find they're my default headphones rather than my pair of (ageing) Bowers & Wilkins P7. They're that good.
I use them with my MacBook Pro (using the APT-X codec) or from my iPhone 8 (AAC codec). Most of my listening these days is Qobuz, although the convenience of Bluetooth wireless means that my listening is limited to CD quality (16/44.1). If I want the full Hi-Res experience I get my P7s out of the drawer, but I find I'm doing that less and less.
What really impressed me with the Melomania 1s is the breadth and clarity of familiar albums. I'm currently revisiting Springsteen's back catalogue and I'm hearing a level of detail that takes my breath away, even with a less-loved albums like 'Magic'. I listen to a wide range of music genres and the only one I've felt has been underserved by the Melomania 1s is the full orchestra in a powerful symphony. My test CDs are the Jansen Tchaikovsky cycle or the Harnoncourt Beethovens. Both sound incredible on my P7s but a little less compelling with the Cambridge ear pieces.
Thanks for your review and comments - they're back on the top of my list as a future purchase.
Neil

Finn

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Wow - what a great response! I'd expected just a simple 'yes' or 'no' but you've gone way beyond that will a full, heartfelt review so you're obviously in love with them :)
Like you, I bought the Melanomia 1s for convenience rather than sound quality but now find they're my default headphones rather than my pair of (ageing) Bowers & Wilkins P7. They're that good.
I use them with my MacBook Pro (using the APT-X codec) or from my iPhone 8 (AAC codec). Most of my listening these days is Qobuz, although the convenience of Bluetooth wireless means that my listening is limited to CD quality (16/44.1). If I want the full Hi-Res experience I get my P7s out of the drawer, but I find I'm doing that less and less.
What really impressed me with the Melomania 1s is the breadth and clarity of familiar albums. I'm currently revisiting Springsteen's back catalogue and I'm hearing a level of detail that takes my breath away, even with a less-loved albums like 'Magic'. I listen to a wide range of music genres and the only one I've felt has been underserved by the Melomania 1s is the full orchestra in a powerful symphony. My test CDs are the Jansen Tchaikovsky cycle or the Harnoncourt Beethovens. Both sound incredible on my P7s but a little less compelling with the Cambridge ear pieces.
Thanks for your review and comments - they're back on the top of my list as a future purchase.
Neil

Hey Neil

I like your taste in music ... Ludwig Van Beethoven is MY Maestro ... I lean towards Symphony #9 as a test because I was able to induce a very spiritual experience using this ... I have since heard it Live in London, Norwich (Arts Festival) and AT LAST in Manchester and performed by OUR very own globally renowned Halle at the purpose built Bridgewater Hall ... As London was the first time at the Royal Festival Hall, it will always be THE one, however, I have to say, The Halle took me away from the hall ... ALSO like you, would revert into my A&K to hear any of Beethoven's work ...and I have the lot lol ... Tchaikovsky, love him, was lucky enough to hear the Moscow Philharmonic perform some of his work, although I cannot be sure which pieces as it was a while back ... I do remember how 'passionate' they were ... and at City Hall, Sheffield, the BEST amphitheatre in Britain ... Irwin Mitchell got it spot on! Highly recommended.

Reactions: Niallivm

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Interesting! The Maris Jansen’s Tchaikovsky symphony cycle on Chandos is astonishing - breathless stuff.
Harnoncourt’s Beethoven recordings from the 90s is jaw dropping and still, for my money, the most exciting interpretation of the symphonies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts