Media streaming at home

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help please!

Im looking for a set up which will allow me to store my music, videos and photos and also provide back up.

I would like to stream these to my sonos, iPad, galaxy s3 and laptop.

I was looking at the Synology DS212Jwith a couple of 2 tb drives. Will this do the job? What are the merits of he 213 over the 212?

Thanks in advance,

ASMA

jjbomber said:
DS213Air has Wi-Fi if that is important for you.

Wifi connection can be flaky for streaming movies. Ethernet is better. Besides, you can purchase an optional wifi adapter for the 212J.

I use Synology's own DS audio & DS video apps to watch movies / listen to music (when I'm not listening to my Sonos), & DS Photo+ app for viewing photos. I've installed OPlayer lite HD app on my iPad to enable the video playback.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys...

Pardon my ignorance but how can the NAS stream without wifi or is the wifi purely for copying files across to the NAS?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ASMA said:
Pardon my ignorance but how can the NAS stream without wifi or is the wifi purely for copying files across to the NAS?

It would stream over a wired Ethernet connection rather than Wi-FI radio. A wired connection's also more reliable, and usually faster, when uploading files onto the NAS, too. Few NAS units have Wi-Fi built-in: the majority have Ethernet, and are designed to be connected via cable to a network router, which can then connect to other devices via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

TRENDING THREADS