McIntosh unveils new AM/FM tuner for radio lovers

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
£6800 for a tuner that doesn't do DAB or streaming?

XX millions listen to the radio. XX millions minus a very, very small number listen to a 'kitchen tranny', FM in the car or a streamed radio station. What is there on AM? I have an American friend who has been a big fan of 'The Archers' since she came to UK 30 years ago. She now listens to it on a kitchen TV, as she does other BBC R4 programmes.

This is another case of a manufacturer scratching around in the legacy bins [making some of the best models of the 1970s, ] for something to sell. The '70's were 50 years ago. In tech terms, that's pre-history.

It may be that the population of the USA includes a sufficient number of people who are in the market for this device, for whatever nostalgic or tech reason, making it a viable line to sell.

As for the UK? Here is the reason why it deserves to bomb. "I bought the Rotel T11 to replace a 17 year old Pure Tuner, which could no longer get many of the DAB radio stations that I like. The Rotel with DAB+ solved this problem and I have all the radio stations back that I like. "

The T111 can be had for £330

Reactions: D rob

D rob

Oct 26, 2021
Visit site
It annoys me all the Av recievers that dont have Dab+ as standard. But have the soon to be dead low quality AM band. There european counterparts usually have Dab+ aswell! If you are going to pay large amounts of money you would exoect it to be futureproofed.

Jun 18, 2022
Visit site
This looks really nice, but I'm pretty sure there aren't even 50m adults in the UK, let alone listening to the radio.
The proportion listening to AM/FM must be vanishingly small.
That's why this is so expensive: I'm sure it's good, but they now need to sell fewer units to boomers to turn a profit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts