MCCAC Has Done a Terrible Job!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
+1 on that, that's the guide I followed on my LX-83, and I got very good results. Personally, unless you have a perfectly symmetrical room, I think All Channel Adjust is the best to go for. The frequency response of each speaker will be different, as it will interact with the room acoustics differently, and therefore each should require different EQ settings.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Right well I follows all instructions above and did everything as per your post. Still terrible results on all m1 m2 and m3 it now improves when moving to m4! 10 fold! It just looses all excitement all range dynamics ang general sound quality on mcaac ! When moving to m4 the aound field sounds twice as large for some reason the front sound stage is much wider and the everything across the whole frequency range seems to have so much more space

I suppose I might just have to realise that mcaac struggles with my room. That said though I have always found it a bit odd trusting a cheap dynamic mic to do such a delicate operation. A task I think is probably only really successful with a 2 grand condenser studio mic and a 25 band eq rather than 9 !

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
umbucker said:
Right well I follows all instructions above and did everything as per your post. Still terrible results on all m1 m2 and m3 it now improves when moving to m4! 10 fold! It just looses all excitement all range dynamics ang general sound quality on mcaac ! When moving to m4 the aound field sounds twice as large for some reason the front sound stage is much wider and the everything across the whole frequency range seems to have so much more space I suppose I might just have to realise that mcaac struggles with my room. That said though I have always found it a bit odd trusting a cheap dynamic mic to do such a delicate operation. A task I think is probably only really successful with a 2 grand condenser studio mic and a 25 band eq rather than 9 !

True! I was surprised by there only being so few bands on the EQ.

The mic is good enough to do the job required for that level of processor/receiver - it is just that you are obviously not liking the sound it produces. That must be either because you don't have a preference for a flat frequency curve (i.e. maybe your system give more emphasis to higher frequencies, which you prefer, but the EQ tries to tame), or the EQ is trying to fight some dips in the frequency response and somehow affecting dynamics.

Either way, you've found what you prefer, so go with it. I would still use the MCACC set-up to set speaker distances and levels, and probably even group delay and then leave the EQ untouched.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Mccac - Always use all channel adjust. Every speaker is in a different part of an untreated room so needs its own eq to get a flat freq curve

For Best results run full auto A all channel adjust ignore other 2 - then speakers to small / 80 htz manual settings

Then run Auto B - keeping sp settings same again all channel adjust

Then run reverb measurement with eq on - analyse graphs using mccac pc software

Adjust all eq settings except 125 htz until the graphs are a close together / as close to a db you set on the graphs for each speaker individually. I use 58db as my target for all 5 channels

** leave 125htz alone as mccac will integrate your bass - so long as your sub is setup properly recommend investing in a DSpeaker antimode **

Once cant get any flatter then turn xcurve on -0.5 -1.0 dbs (depending brightness speakers in room) - then check / set levels @ 75db using SPL Meter this is important. As you are adjusting the eq you are also potentially adjusting the output volume slightly for each channel

For cd playback you want stereo, with stream direct on

This is How to get the best from mccac - it allows accurate eq of system to get as flat curve as possible, if your not using the reverb measurement/ mccac pc software your no where near getting the full potential from your LX Av amp - That's a promise

Any questions - please ask

Points to note*

Chap above is right let mccac measure distances and levels - just check levels once fully finished calibration

Leave the mic in the same place listening position throughout the whole process, do not move until finished

When listening to a cd or similar source in stereo mode - check the amp display, if you are getting a red over flash up every now and then you need to turn ATT on. - slide the panel down on bottom of remote and press no. 4 ( this is how do it on LX83 - check manual for other models)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts