MC Phono Pre Amplifier suggestion needed

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
After a deep research on the Internet, I still have no idea of which MC Phono can be the best for my situation. I am currently running a Linn Sondek LP 12 Majik, Changing to an Audio-Technica AT-ART7 MC Cartridge, using B&O Lab18 Sound Speakers. The Phono I am having is a non-brand DIY MM, 20 USD. I only listen to violin and piano music, or the two together. I believe that I need a much better MC Phono since the signal sounds too weak to me.

The AT-ART 7 MC Cartridge has a 0.12mV Output Voltage, 12 Ω Coil Impedance. I am wondering which MC Phono can be suitable for it regarding a 700-1200 USD budget. Thanks.

Could recommend a few if you were in UK but have no idea what you have access to wherever you are. It would also depend on whether you are ever likely to want to fit a Moving Magnet cartridge to your system.
That's one very low output cartridge you have so have a word with a local dealer would be my advice.
Where in the world are you?

Last edited:

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
As mentioned, that is a very low output. Could give Graham Slee a look. They have some fantastic phono stages in and around the top end your price range. I've used their products previously and have always been very pleased with the results.

Pueblo_Boy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I was about to receive a Moon phono amp, but the lockdown stopped that from going ahead, so I bought a US made box instead - a Hagerman Bugle 3. It has had some rave reviews and appears to be great value for money, way cheaper than your budget. I've only just received mine, so can't make too much comment yet, but since you appear to be in America, maybe you should check it out and let us know?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts