Mayware Formula IV VTA

FrankFromQc

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

My name is Frank and I own a Rega P3 with a Mayware formula IV tonerarm

I recently installed a new catridge

So far I’ve got no problem to adjust catridge aligment, azimuth, tracking force and antiskatting.

But all of this is kind of new for me and I don’t know how to set up VTA.
In fact the tonearm is not perfectly parallel to record. There is one screw at the base of the tonearm and one hole and I think it's for VTA adjustement but I'm not sure. (will post pictures later today

The manual is not really clear about VTA

If someone could help me with the instructions to follow, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

Welcome to the madness, Frank. Only us old 'uns will remember the Mayware, and I can't claim I remember it very well. But I rather expect you need to raise or lower the whole arm fixing post where it fixes to the armboard (deck, in the case of the Rega).

However, as LA says, it is not that critical an adjustment, although some write at length about stereo images popping into focus, whereas others will persuade you that every record and cutting lathe differs so much it is irrelevant. And you can cheat with thick, thin or no mats!

Good luck.

As nopiano states the VTA is not a crucial set-up parameter. True it needs to be looked at but unless you are running some very strange cartridges then having the arm-pillar height set so that the tonearm / top of the headshell are pretty much parallel with the surface of the LP on the platter should be sufficient. Only if the cartridge looks distinctly 'head up or tail up' should you need to adjust the arm height. Point of note here is that quite a few cartridges do have a slope to the bottom of body so this does not work Stick to headshell parallel to record surface is best.

As also stated this will change if you decide to use a thicker platter mat but unless you are a real fanatic then the slight difference in thickness of some LPs is not worth worrying over.

If you are concerned with this then one way around it is to get a really thin platter mat (something like the Origin Live one and set up your VTA using this under an ordinary LP then, if you put on something like a 200g piece of vinyl, simply play it without the platter mat in place.

FrankFromQc

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all of you !

I think that is will not adjust the VTA as it could be a pain to do and I'm not so far of a good aligment.

But as I'm curious and will try to undersand how it works on this arm :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts