Matching speakers to Marantz PM6004

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First off, I know nothing about speakers or hifi systems so I need a bit of help.

I'm planning on purchasing the Marantz PM6004 after my Denon home theatre receiver broke. I still have the Denon SC-M51 speakers and I'm wondering whether these will work well with the Marantz and whether they're any good.

Here are the specs for the speakers (they're quite old):

Specifications for the DENON SC-M51 Speakers
Drivers 110mm woofer, 25mm soft dome tweeter
Type 2-Way Reflex
Impedance 6 Ohms
Frequency Response 75-20,000hz
Power Handling 75W MAX
Weight 3kg per Unit
Dimensions Width 165mm Height 215mm Depth 210mm

I don't even know if they are compatible? Should I get new speakers and which ones? (I'm on a budget so lower prices would be good)

Also will the Marantz unit work with the tv and Playstation 3?

Thank you for tolerating my complete lack of knowledge on this subject

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The speakers you have will work OK with the Marantz but, as Cypher suggests, some better speakers will make more of the amplifier's abilities.

As far as connecting the other components, they'll be fine as long as they have analogue audio outputs – the Marantz has no provision for digital input connections.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz amp - as you can read in the new Awards issue - is very flexible re partners, and will thrive with better speakers. Sounds great with KEF Q300, for example.

We're writing an 'ultimate systems builder' for the Marantz PM6004 - featuring all sorts of possible partners, of traditional and modern type, for our December issue, which comes out mid-November.

A

Anonymous

:) Can't wait for the December issue, I have the Marantz PM6003 & CD6003. I am using them with a pair of Diamond 9.1 speakers and soon will be purchasing a new pair up to about £350. So far the ones I am interested in are the Monitor Audio BX2. I will be waiting now till I read the next issue and then decide what to buy. Can't wait.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies! I've just been doing some more research and I think I may have mistakenly assumed a few things about this unit. For instance, does the Marantz support two speakers and a subwoofer (my current setup) or is it only two channels (no subwoofer)? Also, I will be using this setup for tv watching, movie watching and most of the music use will be streaming music from my iPad to the Marantz. Is the Marantz suitable for this? It seems as though it is designed for analogue input so will 320kbps mp3 files be suitable?

Thanks guys.

hifinoob said:
Thanks for the replies! I've just been doing some more research and I think I may have mistakenly assumed a few things about this unit. For instance, does the Marantz support two speakers and a subwoofer (my current setup) or is it only two channels (no subwoofer)? Also, I will be using this setup for tv watching, movie watching and most of the music use will be streaming music from my iPad to the Marantz. Is the Marantz suitable for this? It seems as though it is designed for analogue input so will 320kbps mp3 files be suitable?

The 6004 will support two pairs, but not a subwoofer, nor streaming. An M-CR603 would do all you want. Read up a bit more here:-

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-m-cr603

Welcome to the forum.

A

Anonymous

Wow thanks! I'm pretty interested in that M-CR603 model. What speakers would you recommend pairing with this unit with? I already have a Kef PSW1000.2 subwoofer that I would like to keep because I think it's quite good. Can you get speakers to work with this sub and the Marantz? Also I saw the recommendation for the Dali Zensor 1 speakers on this site for pairing with the Marantz. Would these work with the sub?

Thanks

Regret I cannot really help with the sub as I've only ever used mine with the 1005 pods, but personally I'd choose the main speakrs you like, and adjust the sub to blend as best you can. I think the sub is better than the pods, btw, but equally, unless you are really into AV, don't let that influence your choice too much. A good dealer will let you bring yours along to try if you ask in advance.

Matching speakers with the 603 is one of the most asked questions here, so try to trawl through the threads you will find here:-

http://www.whathifi.com/search/apachesolr_search/speakers%20for%20M-CR603?filters=type:forum

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Will the Marantz pm 6004 and SA 6004 a good match for my Monitor Audio RX6 speakers? I have now Marantz 8003, but sounds a bit boring and sometimes a little dull. Music is rock and pop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts