Matching amplifier for Dali Rubicon 2

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Dear Friends

Just got a hand on a pair of Rubicon 2.

Current amplifier Cambridge audio 651a . Sounding right nothing special Flat,neutral, slight harsh. ( may be breaking in) big staging etc.

Planning for a new integrated amplifier Budget 1500 $ appx final

On list Marantz PM 8005/ Exposure 3010S2/ Don't like arcam signature don't know why:(

What about CXA80 .Anything else....Please help with some insights I will be highly depending on recommendation....

Regards

Maxprocrj said:
Dear Friends

Current amplifier Cambridge audio 651a . Sounding right nothing special Flat,neutral, slight harsh. ( may be breaking in) big staging etc.

On list Marantz PM 8005/ Exposure 3010S2/ Don't like arcam signature don't know why:(

What about CXA80 .Anything else....Please help with some insights I will be highly depending on recommendation....

Regards

Nice speakers. To be honest they deserve good amplification. Once you have determined the speakers suit your room then amplification is somewhat secondary.

You need to determine what sort of amp you want. Do you need an included DAC? Do you need a phono stage?

My advice, if you want a smooth neutral amp, then look at Creek if you can audition them wherever in the world you are or Primare, both of these have modular add-ons..

gasolin

Mabye Nad C388 (got a great danish review) or Marantz PM14S1 Special Edition if you can find one for the price, Hegel H80 might also be something you should listen to, although many say the bass is better from the H160, the H160 is just way over you're budget

Personally i like my Marantz PM8005 just enoght power for the Rubicon 2's with it's 4 ohm and 87 db the marantz delivers atleast 2x100 watt in 4 ohm or roughly 107db (that is loud)

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Maxprocrj said:
Dear Friends

Regards

Nice speakers. To be honest they deserve good amplification. Once you have determined the speakers suit your room then amplification is somewhat secondary.

You need to determine what sort of amp you want. Do you need an included DAC? Do you need a phono stage? 

My advice, if you want a smooth neutral amp, then look at Creek if you can audition them wherever in the world you are or Primare, both of these have modular add-ons..

No I don't need DAC ,Phono etc...only need to control it's huge Bass...no bright ness....what about CXA 80

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
Personally I have eyes upon a Demo stock of 14 S1 & PM 8005 .

Any idea of Exposure as audition is not possible.

Some of my immediate thoughts after a home demo of the Exposure 3010S2D amp back in June 2016. 'To my ears at least, the Exposure just seemed to do everything well with no obvious weaknesses and no particular character. It just seems to be in balance and just gets on with reproducing the music without adding anything. The soundstage is very good, I can pick out instruments much more accurately and there appears to be some height to the soundstage as well. This amp works well with my Rega speakers and together they produce a wide open and clear sound. I also like the minimalist look of the amp. At the moment, if it was just down to how the amp makes me feel, I would choose the Exposure - I just feel more comfortable with it'.

This is a link to my thread about my eventual amp purchase, which also links back to my demo journey. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/exposure-3010s2d-pre-2-x-3010s2-power-amps

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
Al ears said:
Maxprocrj said:
Dear Friends

Regards

No I don't need DAC ,Phono etc...only need to control it's huge Bass...no bright ness....what about CXA 80
too bright.sounds like you may have bought the wrong Speaker but not all is lost.the speakers you have are good so just need to refine them maybe with the Arcam a39.try it with your new speakers i think you will be surprised

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Without doubt,you have to consider the abrahamsen v2up. This with the rubicons is my dream set up. Have wanted to hear this set up since the speakers came out. I would think their clarity would suit the abrahamsen very well. The abrahamsen will not allow these to sound harsh.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Electro said:
hi electro sorry to go off thread but can you tell me more about this amp I'm very interested sounds amazing

I will keep it brief *smile*

The Abrahamsen amps are a basic simple design built with top quality over specked parts with the aim of driving any speaker regardless of efficiency or load and to last a lifetime .

There are no frills or gimmicks just solid engineering at a very competitive price,

They are fully balanced from input to output and DC coupled with very high current delivery and a massive amount of transient power .

They are quite similar the the older design of Electrocompaniet amplifier.

http://dynamicheadroom.audio/gear-reviews/abrahamsen-v2-0-up-integrated-amplifier-review/

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
seemorebtts said:
Electro said:
hi electro sorry to go off thread but can you tell me more about this amp I'm very interested sounds amazing

The Abrahamsen amps are a basic simple design built with top quality over specked parts with the aim of driving any speaker regardless of efficiency or load and to last a lifetime .

There are no frills or gimmicks just solid engineering at a very competitive price,

They are fully balanced from input to output and DC coupled with very high current delivery and a massive amount of transient power .

http://dynamicheadroom.audio/gear-reviews/abrahamsen-v2-0-up-integrated-amplifier-review/

+1

Vladimir said:
Electro said:
seemorebtts said:
Electro said:

+1

+2

But do refer to post #16 if you happen to live far away in foreign parts. :)

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
seemorebtts said:
Electro said:

The Abrahamsen amps are a basic simple design built with top quality over specked parts with the aim of driving any speaker regardless of efficiency or load  and to last a lifetime .

thanks just need to listen to one now;-)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The Exposure 3010S2D amp is one of the best I've ever heard at that price. It was paired with Quad and then Wharfedale floorstanders (sorry I don't know the models) with the 3010 CD player as a source.

The dealer then used it as a preamp and attached it to a pair of 3010S2 monoblocks and the performance level jumped up even higher...

Overall, my impression was that Exposure make excellent, value-for-money gear.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Maxprocrj said:
Personally I have eyes upon a Demo stock of 14 S1 & PM 8005 .

Any idea of Exposure as audition is not possible.

Some of my immediate thoughts after a home demo of the Exposure 3010S2D amp back in June 2016. 'To my ears at least, the Exposure just seemed to do everything well with no obvious weaknesses and no particular character. It just seems to be in balance and just gets on with reproducing the music without adding anything. The soundstage is very good, I can pick out instruments much more accurately and there appears to be some height to the soundstage as well. This amp works well with my Rega speakers and together they produce a wide open and clear sound. I also like the minimalist look of the amp. At the moment, if it was just down to how the amp makes me feel, I would choose the Exposure - I just feel more comfortable with it'.

This is a link to my thread about my eventual amp purchase, which also links back to my demo journey. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/exposure-3010s2d-pre-2-x-3010s2-power-amps

Its been a while since I have heard exposure but my memories of them (post Farlowe) was one of a slightly boring and rather Hifi sound. I didn't get on with the 2010 (original) I had at home for a trial. It lacked get up and go. I found Cyrus more to my liking.

As to older Exposure products, they have a fan Base and are (reportedly) sounding different.

Can't comment on the latest line.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
My local dealer is pricing Hegel H80 with metal remote slightly lesser price then 3010S2D

Confused....

In the UK the Hegel is £1350 and the Exposure 3010S2D is around £1700.

Irrespective of anyone's views, you really must listen to the amps yourself, alongside your equipment and if possible in your own home. Your listening room, your ears and system matching will all affect what sounds best to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts