Matched pair?

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that quite a number of adverts for second hand speakers have "matched pair with consecutive serial numbers"
Don't all speakers have this?
I've owned dozens of speakers and they've all had consecutive serial numbers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've seen 'matched pair' when the speakers are handed, but I can't say I've noticed it otherwise. If it's so important to have consecutive or near-consecutive serial numbers because speakers made days or weeks apart in different batches may sound different to each other, then it brings into question the whole point of having something like What HiFi? review speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In my experience most speakers sold as a 'matched pair' are done so in order to match veneers. Clearly there are some that need to be paired, 'handed' or 'master-slave' configurations for example.

Ie, it is a finish issue, mass market speakers will not be 'matched' in any kind of sonic way as this would require careful measurement and comparisons, far too expensive.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I know PMC Speakers are electrically matched and a record of every speakers measurement is kept and referenced to the serial number.

This is done to make buying replacement drive units and crossovers easy because they can supply new units that match perfectly many years later and saves the customer having to buy them in pairs which is desirable when some of the drive units can cost £700 or more each !

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
I know PMC Speakers are electrically matched and a record of every speakers measurement is kept and referenced to the serial number.

This is done to make buying replacement drive units and crossovers easy because they can supply new units that match perfectly many years later and saves the customer having to buy them in pairs which is desirable when some of the drive units can cost £700 or more each !

But still very rare.

Some professional and hi-end manufacturers carry out testing of this type, though in the case of professional products tolerances are much tighter. Whilst allowing for some wear, product needs to be consistent over the life of a specific model, ie this years product needs to be consistentent with last years product, this in normal in top professional circles.

Even at the low end of the pro-monitor market, consistency is very good, many models being priced and sold singly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts