market research.. yay or nay?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I suppose it depends which actives we're talking about, as the likes of PMC's with the amp packs fastened to the back will be more acceptable to many than some 'dedicated' active speakers which are, to some people, as big as their garden shed. If someone has a pair of OB1i's, it'll be easier to convert them to an active user by adding amp packs than it would be to convert someone with a pair of ProAc D28's to change to a pair of SCM100's.

If this is the case then ATC's SCM20SL Active Towers are also available with dimensions not too dissimilar to the D28's.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
As I've mentioned several times on this thread, I've no conceptual issues with actives. And yes THE_LHC i did give a reason, but clearly you pick-up any old post and quote it. I like "boxes", and on another post I called myself "old wrinklies". Reason enough. Jeeze I've been out all day and come back in drenched to find people have been having a 'pop'.

Mood=placid

I'm not having a "pop" at anyone and I haven't directly quoted any of your posts but I simply don't understand the idea of turning down even trying a *potentially* (it may or may not be better but you don't know until you try) better sounding system because it means you lose a "box".

That, to me, just doesn't make any sense at all. Do you want the best sounding system you can afford or don't you? If not, I don't really understand what you're doing.

My system is rubbish, I'll admit that but when and if I decide I've got the money for some upgrades I'm not going to rule out any option if I think it gives a better improvement, I'll try whatever will give me the best quality for my money. Any other course of action does not seem to be particularly logical

But then it has been 12 years since I last changed an amp or speakers, so perhaps I just don't get this "hi-fi as hobby" concept. It's not a hobby, it's there to perform a function, play my music in an acceptable fashion and I don't really care what technology it chooses to do it with.

Edit - message to THE_LHC: Go and bake some bread, while I'm listening to my "active bashing" set-up... :D

Yeah, I still haven't got round to that yet.

matthewpiano

The_Lhc said:
... it's there to perform a function, play my music in an acceptable fashion and I don't really care what technology it chooses to do it with.

Seems we agree on something LHC.

smiley-smile.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This whole discussion makes me want to go and find a pair of the old Quad 11L Actives! (No longer made sadly.)

They were true actives with an electronic crossover and two amps in each enclosure (60watt + 40 watt) and just about the right size with a high gloss black finish and grilles.

They might sound quite sweet on the end of my Marantz' pre-out connection.

I don't know of any other comparably priced (say £500 - £700 per pair) true active bookshelf speakers that have domestic aesthetics in mind.

If anyone at IAG are reading this, please resurrect the Quad 11L Active (in a couple of wood finishes too) to complement your new 'Quad 11L Classic' range. Thanks.

(We are not all teenagers in bedroom 'studios' or professional monitor users who don't care what the things look like.)

A

Anonymous

I listened to some Quested Monitors at the weekend in a studio and they were loverly.

Literal sparring apart, there is a serious aspect to this debate.

I understand fully about the lack of distortion and the accuracy with actives and, indeed, to some people nothing else will do.

Personally speaking, boxes and wires aside, there's something about my set-up that, for me, cannot be matched let alone beaten at the price. Unfortunately, I don't know what that "something" is exactly, so it's hard to convey but it has a certain tonal quality ( an overall sound) which I think would be hard to replicate with an active monitor at any price, given they are more accurate or neutral. Hence the reason why I'm so reluctant to tamper with it, despite knowing it could be improved upon...

You've set up a very interesting discussion max! :) Seriously, I really think this thread has been the best advertisement for active speakers.

I agree that active speakers haven't enjoyed the popularity they deserve. If I had known about active speakers when buying my home cinema system, I would've seriously considered them for a demo. My next system upgrade will definitely involve demoing active speakers (probably 5 years down the line).

A

Anonymous

well, i've certainly enjoyed the thread, bb, i think it's been very informative, actives are more than likely going to be my next step.

though i've got to get a hdtv first, my little sony 28in crt is not bad, but i so yearn a 50in plasma :)

maxflinn said:
well, i've certainly enjoyed the thread, bb, i think it's been very informative, actives are more than likely going to be my next step.

though i've got to get a hdtv first, my little sony 28in crt is not bad, but i so yearn a 50in plasma :)

You've got to check the latest WHF mag then! An interesting winner in the 50-inch super test. ;)

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
maxflinn said:

You've got to check the latest WHF mag then! An interesting winner in the 50-inch super test. ;)
do they do finance :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts