My Excite 12 review

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Having recently posted about suffering from excessive brightness with my new audiolab 8000p and Icon audio La4 preamp combo and having spoken to David Shaw who recommended speakers with soft dome tweeters, I realised that the only solution was to remove the Mezzos from my new system and put it back with my cayin setup. I took my pre/power to the dealers and auditioned a wide range of speakers from quads, monitor audio to finally realise that dynaudios are a great match or maybe its just my love for the company that keeps me returning to their speakers, very surprising since I never actually owned one.

I auditioned the Dm 2/6, 2/7, Excite 12s. Although all were excellent, my dealer recommended that since I have the budget I might as well go for the 2/7s or Excite 12s. He setup a demo in my own room. I have always sung praises of how good the 2/7s are for their price and indeed they are almost as good as my Mezzos with a softer treble. They also sound big, give them a gutsy amp and they will sing their hearts out. However, I felt due to my room and positioning restrictions I was getting a midbass boom that needs space to correct. I put the puny Excite 12s on the Dynaudio stand 3s not expecting it to impress in my large bedroom. The speakers were not even positioned correctly but they completely disappeared. Don't let the size fool you, they do sound big, but lack the deepest bass. Give them a powerful amp and they do dynamic range as well. There is something about the imaging from a mini monitor that is very unlike how bigger speakers image, it sounds very coherent...and if like me the deepest notes you hear from your music ar from the bass guitar anyway...you certainly won't miss bass at all. The treble is very sweet and detailed but never harsh.

I'd say they reduced the brightness problem by 95%, the rest is down to the new bed I got...its all wood wood wood and I think its to blame...I'm trying out some pillows and rugs.

Hope you enjoyed the review,

Shafin

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice reading!

The Dyns with a good Amp they do desapear, and with a pre/power combo is as close as can get.

I LOVE mine to bits!

And about cables, what are you using? I prefer 100% cooper!

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts