Marantz v Arcam

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Has anybody listened to the Marantz Pearl Lite SACD player/amp and compared them with the Arcam A38/Sacd 17 combo. I'm keen to purchase an SACD player and their are very keen deals on the Marantz pairing. However, I don't seem to be able to hear them in the Norwich/Ipswich area. want the SACD capability for classical releases especially.

Not heard any of those mentioned: Heard loads of Marantz stuff over the years and owned Arcam amps for 14 years and they are fairly similar in tonal quality - both are quite smooth, but found the Marantz (PM-7001 most recent) to have good bass and midrange, but if partnered with incorrect speakers can be a bit shrill. On the other hand, Arcam has a wonderful midrange and treble, let down by a slightly ponderous bass. Having said that, when I heard the newer FMJ range (A18 & CD17) they seem to have dealt with the slight bass disparity.

If the A38 mirrors the A18 in the bass it should be cracking.

Sorry, can't be anymore helpful.

T

the record spot

I have the Marantz SA7001-KI CDP and can heartily recommend it. I'd imagine that the Pearl Lite SACD player would continue the trend for the company's players, however, I've no idea about the amp. Of course, if it's SACD functionality you're after, there are alternatives that will offer more formats (DVD-A, HDCD and hi-res audio) in the shape of Cambridge's BD651 or the outgoing BD650.

You could also quite reasonably take a look at Sony's Blu-Ray players, most of which also offer SACD functionality (it's their baby after all). The downside to those is the slightly fiddly transports (I used to have the BDP-S370) but sound quality is not an issue.

For straight SQ though, the Marantz source gear is excellent for the money and of course, the PL has additional DAC options too. I probably wouldn't pick one now (I'd look to use other means to widen the digital replay options) but they are well specced and well built too.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
I have the Marantz SA7001-KI CDP and can heartily recommend it. I'd imagine that the Pearl Lite SACD player would continue the trend for the company's players, however, I've no idea about the amp. Of course, if it's SACD functionality you're after, there are alternatives that will offer more formats (DVD-A, HDCD and hi-res audio) in the shape of Cambridge's BD651 or the outgoing BD650.

You could also quite reasonably take a look at Sony's Blu-Ray players, most of which also offer SACD functionality (it's their baby after all). The downside to those is the slightly fiddly transports (I used to have the BDP-S370) but sound quality is not an issue.

For straight SQ though, the Marantz source gear is excellent for the money and of course, the PL has additional DAC options too. I probably wouldn't pick one now (I'd look to use other means to widen the digital replay options) but they are well specced and well built too.

Thanks. I only want SACD and CD playback, so I don't think the other optiions would be worthwhile. Not really bothered about the DAC options either as I don't have an ipod or any music on my computer. Do you know if the Pearl Lite amp can be coonected digitally to the SACD player?

T

the record spot

I don't think so, but have a look at the product specs on the Marantz website for the amp.

A

Anonymous

Looking at Marantz's dealer listings... Sevenoaks in Norwich and the Hughes shops across that area are Marantz dealers... perhaps they could arrange a demo for you?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. No luck at at Sevenoaks and the deal in the internet is so much better. Not sure whether to add a DAC to the old Micromega instead I know that it wouldn't do SACD, but would certainlly improve. Not sure how to find a warm sounding one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts