Marantz UD7007 - Universal Player - Fussy Disc Reader

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Nice one, what did they do to it?

I'm considering an audiolab cdp but concerned about the number of user reviews i've read saying it's poor at reading discs. Maybe its just down to luck if you get a bad one? But as i said before Marantz has been reliable for me so i'm thinking of trading my 5007 for the 7007 and feeding an M-DAC instead (something i can't do with the 5007)

T

the record spot

Replaced it, that's what they did! Overall service was excellent though both in store and the phone. Very helpful team there.

D

Deleted member 2457

the record spot said:
Replaced it, that's what they did! Overall service was excellent though both in store and the phone. Very helpful team there.

That is good! :clap:

record_spot

Going into 8 years down the line, happy to report that the 752BD is still ticking over nicely. Sound quality is as good as it ever was and - as I can't resist - it turned out to be a far better option from an audio perspective than the Marantz, which didn't better it. Still a solid buy if you get a decent used or NOS model, the 752BD (or the CXU) are up there with Cambridge's finest hours. Fantastic player.

Reactions: Al ears
Going into 8 years down the line, happy to report that the 752BD is still ticking over nicely. Sound quality is as good as it ever was and - as I can't resist - it turned out to be a far better option from an audio perspective than the Marantz, which didn't better it. Still a solid buy if you get a decent used or NOS model, the 752BD (or the CXU) are up there with Cambridge's finest hours. Fantastic player.
possibly as most of the innards where from Oppo :)
My 105eu is still going strong.

record_spot

possibly as most of the innards where from Oppo :)
My 105eu is still going strong.

I think you're referring to the shared Mediatek platform both used (and possibly others) which results in identical menus. The DACs, casing, power supply and remaining design ethos differed entirely. So, not quite as similar as people like to think. Cambridge adopted an otherwise completely different approach.

Last edited:
I think you're referring to the shared Mediatek platform both used (and possibly others) which results in identical menus. The DACs, casing, power supply and remaining design ethos differed entirely. So, not quite as similar as people like to think. Cambridge adopted an otherwise completely different approach.
Admittedly the 752 was not so much of an Oppo as the preceding 751 was, and for the money was a very good device.

record_spot

Admittedly the 752 was not so much of an Oppo as the preceding 751 was, and for the money was a very good device.

The 751BD also had the same DACs (WM8740s) and while I can't recall the precise setup, you might be thinking of the 651BD which had Cirrus Logic DACs onboard. I think the 651 and the 751 was the only occasion they had parallel players. They didn't have a 750BD when the 650BD came out in 2009 or so. I think they subsequently dropped the 65-series from the 752 onwards. Admittedly, "onwards" only includes the 752, the CXU and the transport only 4K CXU-HD (which ironically is probably the closest thing to an Oppo as it's pretty much the 203 minus DACs!).

Reactions: manicm

manicm

The 751BD also had the same DACs (WM8740s) and while I can't recall the precise setup, you might be thinking of the 651BD which had Cirrus Logic DACs onboard. I think the 651 and the 751 was the only occasion they had parallel players. They didn't have a 750BD when the 650BD came out in 2009 or so. I think they subsequently dropped the 65-series from the 752 onwards. Admittedly, "onwards" only includes the 752, the CXU and the transport only 4K CXU-HD (which ironically is probably the closest thing to an Oppo as it's pretty much the 203 minus DACs!).

Correct, still have my 751.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts