Marantz SR6004: Sudden Failures

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On one forum there has been a thread going for sometime now regarding failure of Marantz SR6004. It just goes POP suddenly while playing. There have been a large number of users reporting this POP and the death of the AVR. In fact users have been reporting from US, Europe & Asia on the issue. One has also been repaired in Germany and he was told it is a known issue. Others have been getting replacements, some which also fail.

LINK REMOVED BY MODS - house rules

Does anybody here have any idea of this issue?

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I have Marantz SR6004 and am very pleased with it as with rest of the Marantz stuff.That thread in the a/v forum you are referring to is posted by a well known Marantz basher who has changed 5 (yes five) SR 6004s until now and blown them all.If you have any concerns,just talk to Marantz directly as suggested by my friend here.

A

Anonymous

thanks.

But what about the others who have been facing similar issues in Europe, Asia etc...and have detailed their failure of 6004. Or is it some group maligning Marantz with multiple IDs.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes/probably/maybe. There is an owners thread on another forum I frequent and I have never heard of any issues, only links to the posts at AVS that detail these alleged problems, which leads me to believe it's a load of cobblers. If they are genuine, it could have been a dodgy batch but ultimately speak to one of the retailers on there e.g. hifix or thehomecinemacentre that sell them.

MarantzLover

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes at last... some people who have cottoned on to what actually happens on the web.

Its like the rule of five.... if one thing happens to one guy/girls machine one time.... in order to dramatise it on the web and start the "sale of goods act attack" on the manufacturer.... one fault becomes 5!

Most likely there has been a small issue originally, but no one really notices that... it not until the magic number is reached that all of a sudden its a pandemic!!!

Let me tell you one thing though,I am not sure of the dude's name, but the Marantz Support guy who helped me with some 2 channel issues a few months ago will be the guy for you to talk to. His accent is a bit distracting at first, cause he's irish but give them a call. With my gear it turned out it was my fault anyway, but this guy was extremely cool about breaking to me the bad news... he in no way was the usual condescending "I'm so much better than you and the rest of the world" that I was used to from manufacturers of my other gear. Wish I could remember his name!

Anyway.. happy new year and good luck!

A

Anonymous

thanks for the replies.

I do not actually have the AVR. This was my choice to buy but was sceptic because of so many people (or online aliases) reporting sudden failure of their AVRs. But it looks as if it is a safe and good buy.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Just had the following response from UK Product Support, D&M Audiovisual Ltd. Hope this puts any concerns to rest.

"To date here in the UK, I as the UK support engineer for Marantz can confirm that to date I have not yet had a discussion with any member of the public about any physically faulty SR6004. This is the first time it's been mentioned to me at all, so as you can hopefully understand, I am very surprised at this burst of activity on some a/v forums. However you will find that not everything that is stated on the internet is truly factual, and a lot of it is blown out of proportion / fabricated maliciously, although there are some genuine cases.

We have had no faults reported here in the UK, and having spent some time checking through service site that I have access to, I cannot see any single occurance of an SR6004 ever having been reported.

Most physical symptoms (but certainly not all exclusively) with any AV receiver are created as a result of a poor setup / bad speaker matching / deployment of the receiver etc : there are many variables. But just to reassure you we are checking with the European Team currently, and will hear from them in the next day or two. If I hear anything further I will let you know."

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

Do keep us updated if you hear back from him about Marantz Europe. I have already pulled the trigger on a SR6004. If it works well then another one will be on its way.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
RB107:
If it works well then another one will be on its way.

Why would you want to buy not one but 2 units of a product about which you have had been sceptical? I think you should also look at some other brands and widen your search while you still can,however, you are in the best position to decide for yourself. WHF has reviewed quite a few A/V receivers.

davidrust

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Dalesman I am thinking about upgraging my three front speakers, are you happy with the B&W setup with your SR-6004? I'm considering either the B&W 685 & HTM62 or the monitor audio RX 1 & RX LCR.

A

Anonymous

The first one is being used by my brother. If works well without issues for 2 months, I will take one for myself.

Their have been many reviews by WHF, but i preferred sr6004 over denon 2310 & yamaha 1065. It has iPod, 2HDMI & Bluetooth support as well. Runners-up for me was Pioneer LX-52.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Davidhurst, I'm very pleased with the B&W setup and bought it after the high reviews it got in the WHF. These speakers are second to none in this price range and it's right to pair it with the SR6004 which is good for music/movies just like the 685s.HTM62 is the recommended centre speaker which mind you is as big as your amp and weighs 9kgs but dialouges are very clear.

I haven't heard the MA RX series speakers so couldn't comment on them.Best thing to do would be to have a listen and then decide.

pcjnz

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I own one of these SR6004 units and love the sound, its got even better since adding a OPPO BDP95, only downer is the Pop of Death, it happend within the first 4 months of ownership and was sent back to the distributer here in NZ.

They did tested it and could not find out what was causing it but I refused to take it back given the problem, they had some info from Marantz that it was a software problem and so they installed the update that was supposed to cure it, 18 months later and its done it again twice, in addition sometimes I get a Lod Thud from the speakers and silence but it has not gone in to protection mode (power button flashing on and off and needing reset), all seems to work but no sound, if I turn it off via the remote and back on again its all ok.

Have been back to the NZ Distributer who has promised me a solution, am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jacko in NZ

hoj

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

the POP of death just happened here with our SR6004.

I was fiddling with the antenna cable to the DVB-C receiver (connected by HDMI and RCA(dig)) and then a big POP (but no smoke or smell) and the SR6004 went into some kind of very deep coma and the Standby Led is flashing fast. Tried out the SURR+EXIT+CLEAR system error reset, but now the LED is blinking slowly instead.

Was suspecting ground current loops thing (proposed theory by others) but then I realized that I did indeed have a galvanic isolation thing between antennacable and receiver so that appears as less plausible. But malfunction due to junk data over HDMI doesn't sound very likely either (I really do hope).

Given that there are many reports on that this reappears for those who got the unit to work again this might not be worth repairing...

/Henrik

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts