Marantz PM7001/ CD6002, speaker recommendation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone heard the above combi? Can anyone recommend a good match speaker (bookshelf)?
I'm interested to the following:

-Focal 706V
-Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2

In my place, there's not much price difference between the 2. Mezzo is a little bit pricier.
TIA

A

Anonymous

I would suggest you go for the MA BR2's or if your budget permits, the MA RS1's.

A

Anonymous

I just came from MA RS1, I sold it due to booming bass in my small room when increasing the volume. IMO, after owning it for few months I found it also sterile (but that's just me). I am looking for other brands beside from MAs :)

Thanks

John Duncan

Russ Andrews has reworked the Focal and called it the SP-1, and I've seen good things about it (it's another 50 quid or so). Looking forward to the new AVI Neutron Vs - I always loved the IV, and these are cheaper. I'd also love to hear a pair of Usher S520s, which are supposed to be spectacular for the money.

John Duncan

Goldsmith:Have you tried PM6002, though not as loud as PM7001, is more mature and rewarding.

emotion-3.gif

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:
I'd also love to hear a pair of Usher S520s, which are supposed to be spectacular for the money.

Hi Fi World raved about them some months back, they were £265 but jumped not long after to the current £320. Total steal at the former price, bit more competition at the present one IMO.

A

Anonymous

I'd give the chance to the Focal, either 806V or 807V as the review of Stereophile says they're very good speakers. And IMHO they look beautiful.

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:

We don't think the Ushers are that hot, actually - full review here

I sense a scrap coming on....
EMOAYfight02catfightHL3.gif

John Duncan

the record spot:Clare Newsome:

We don't think the Ushers are that hot, actually - full review here

I sense a scrap coming on....

Nah, I haven't heard them so I have nothing to back it up with. But Thaiman loves them and he's fussy.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
AudioSyok:Good combination. Agree with Clare, go for 685.

I've got a Marantz PM7001 and SA7001 combination (cheers John Duncan) and use B+W 685's with these. I love it, but having not used any of the other speakers mentioned, i wouldn't put my life on it being the best you can get - you need to listen yourself to really decide.

T

the record spot

Not sure what size your room is, but AVI Neutron IV (V to come soon according to JohnD) should definitely be on your list.

John Duncan

the record spot:Not sure what size your room is, but AVI Neutron IV (V to come soon according to JohnD) should definitely be on your list.

Yup, on the website now (no pictures), with a dedicated sub (complete with DAC, a la ADM9) to come.

Might mean that IVs become very cheap as well........

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Khian,

I am using the same CD player but using MF amp. I am using EPOS M12.2. If budget is OK, try it out. Agree with most of the comments here, you just have to listen to a few speakers and trust your ears.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the massive response..for B&W 685, others think they are somewhat sluggish speakers? can the PM7001 be able to control the 685s and give a dynamic and rythmic sound? My room is around 3.25 X 3.5 meters..looking for a speaker with smooth mids and sparkling highs that doesnt tire my ears.. I usually listen to acoustic, jazz, voice, classical and rock music (very few pop music). For bass, I have sealed 10 inch subwoofer which is good for music and movies. For music, I turn it on only when listening to rock and pop music...

A

Anonymous

smo:I'd give the chance to the Focal, either 806V or 807V as the review of Stereophile says they're very good speakers. And IMHO they look beautiful.

smo, I heard the focal 706V but was driven by rega maia/apollo combi. I liked the sound but the regas are too expensive for me..For 807V, the dealer mentioned that one is a verygood speaker but it is way out of my budget and I am also worried that it could be boomy in my small room, maybe the 806Vs or 706Vs are much suitable for my room (~3.25 X 3.5 m)? Focal dealer in my area doesnt carry marantz, but they do carry Rotels. I'm not sure if RA-05 (need the remote function) amp is better than PM7001 in terms of driving the Focals or Mezzo 2. Also interested in mixing the combinations but dealer A only carries MS Mezzo and Marantz while dealer B carries Rotel/ Rega/ Focal...

Im building a system from the scratch...TIA

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
If you can get the Rotel RA-05 I would do it. I had the PM 7001, now I have the RA-04. The PM7001 has 70 watts/8ohm and the RA-04/05 40 watts/8ohm but the Rotel sounds a lot more powerful. I could not believe how much better the RA-04 sounded when I got it.

A

Anonymous

Cypher:If you can get the Rotel RA-05 I would do it. I had the PM 7001, now I have the RA-04. The PM7001 has 70 watts/8ohm and the RA-04/05 40 watts/8ohm but the Rotel sounds a lot more powerful. I could not believe how much better the RA-04 sounded when I got it.

When u say 'better' does it mean it's better in terms of clarity, dynamics, rythm and speed? good tempo and speed of bass is what I like + smooth midrange and sparkling highs that is not too bright...a sound that makes your foot tapping :)

Is Rotel RA-04 considered to be more neutral than PM7001? I'm also tempted to try Marantz CD6002/ RA-05 + MS Mezzo 2. I'm not sure how this combi will sound because it's impossible for me to audition this setup unless I will buy the RA-05 then bring it to the dealer that carries Mezzo 2 and CD6002 .. Anyone can please comment on this combi?

I just heard the Marantz CD6002/ PM7001 + MS Mezzo 2 and I loved it
emotion-1.gif
*but* still wondering if Mezzos are going to be much better with the RA-05....
emotion-43.gif

TIA

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
It's better in terms of clarity, dynamics, rhythm and speed. Especially the bass is much better. The PM7001 has a kind of sluggish bass, no speed at all, just weight. The bass of the RA-04 is fast and has much more definition.

I use the RA-04 with a Marantz CD6002 player. I have the Focal Chorus 706V and it works perfectly together. But i'm going to listen to the Dynaudio X12 next week. Maybe I'll sell the Focals and buy the Dynaudio's if I like what I hear.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Cypher, nice to hear Rotel RAs have that kind of sound.. I will audition that one of these days.

A

Anonymous

Guys, I'm also thinking of these combos. I heard from others the KI version has a good improvement and has more controlled bass over the normal PM7001, is that true? I haven't audition the KI version and thus I can't confirm with that improvement.

I heard the normal PM7001 + Mezzo2 and indeed I found the bass is sometimes slow.. the mids and highs are so good for me, full of emotion and sparkle on the highs. What can you say about these 3 combinations and which would you prefer? I wanted to buy Marantz product because it's cheap here in Singapore and I can pay them in installment.

I'm not sure if option 1 will sound dull and with less sparkle? I heard dyn 42 with wrongly paired electronics and IMHO it needs moderate volume to hear more details...

1.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + dynaudio 42

2.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + mordaunt short mezzo 2

3.)Marantz PM7001 KI/ CD6002 + focal 706V

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts