Marantz PM66 KI... repair or upgrade?

Basil Brush

Feb 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone

Have a much loved Marantz PM66 KI amp which has developed some problems over the last few months, notably distortion from the right channel and down on power. Maybe it's time for an upgrade rather than repairing this 25 year old amp?

My current setup is vinyl only; Project Essential II and Mission LX-2 speakers.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but would I see a big improvement (over a repaired PM66 KI) with something like the Rega IO or Marantz PM6007?

Thanks in advance!

Gray

Hi everyone

Have a much loved Marantz PM66 KI amp which has developed some problems over the last few months, notably distortion from the right channel and down on power. Maybe it's time for an upgrade rather than repairing this 25 year old amp?

My current setup is vinyl only; Project Essential II and Mission LX-2 speakers.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but would I see a big improvement (over a repaired PM66 KI) with something like the Rega IO or Marantz PM6007?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum Basil.
See the following thread which is relevant to you. You've got a great amp. Keep it.

Reactions: Basil Brush

Basil Brush

Feb 17, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Basil.
See the following thread which is relevant to you. You've got a great amp. Keep it.
Thank you, I'd just read that, very familiar territory!! Although I don't have a problem on the headphone out so guess it's more output stage for me, but yes also dry joints or something else relatively simple could easily be the case, I'm struggling to find a local repair agent open too otherwise I doubt very much whether I'd be thinking about new at all

Gray

Thank you, I'd just read that, very familiar territory!! Although I don't have a problem on the headphone out so guess it's more output stage for me, but yes also dry joints or something else relatively simple could easily be the case, I'm struggling to find a local repair agent open too otherwise I doubt very much whether I'd be thinking about new at all
Can only say that I sold mine but really wish I'd kept it - if only to use for its phono preamp - which was superior to a standalone one I subsequently bought.

I'd be surprised if the latest 6007 bettered your KI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts