Marantz PM6007 to laptop connection dilemma

damianoski

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to the audio world and have bought myself some nice Bowers and Wilkins CM5 S2 speakers to go with the marantz and CD player PM6006

Now, I've been playing music off my phone and laptop using the audio jack but I recently bought a Furutech ADL Formula 2 Audiophile Cable with hopes of upgrading the sound quality to what it should be. However, as you all probably know the Marantz PM 6007 does not have a USB type B input so I cannot use the cable and I've been trying to find a minimalist solution that would minimise further costs whilst optimising the quality of sound that I'm aspiring to obtain from this transition. And by that i mean that I would like to continue using the Marantz internal DAC.

The only budget solution to my dilemma are as follows:

But I feel like neither of those will actually achieve the 24-bit 192khz sound that I would like to enjoy.

Any tips?

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 108165

Forget about hi-res and just find the best recording, this will easily sound far better than any poorly recorded master used for hi-res version. CD quality playback is more than sufficient for most peoples needs.

I believe the DAC in the CD player is identical to that in the amp so just use the USB connection on the front of the CD player - once formatted correctly a cheap USB pen drive plugged in here will play whatever you like.

Plus you don't need expensive cables, Amazon basics are fine.

Tinman1952

Hi all,

I am new to the audio world and have bought myself some nice Bowers and Wilkins CM5 S2 speakers to go with the marantz and CD player PM6006

Now, I've been playing music off my phone and laptop using the audio jack but I recently bought a Furutech ADL Formula 2 Audiophile Cable with hopes of upgrading the sound quality to what it should be. However, as you all probably know the Marantz PM 6007 does not have a USB type B input so I cannot use the cable and I've been trying to find a minimalist solution that would minimise further costs whilst optimising the quality of sound that I'm aspiring to obtain from this transition. And by that i mean that I would like to continue using the Marantz internal DAC.

The only budget solution to my dilemma are as follows:

But I feel like neither of those will actually achieve the 24-bit 192khz sound that I would like to enjoy.

Any tips?

Many thanks
I would certainly get a USB to SP/DIF converter to input to your Marantz PM6007 but the one you mention seems too cheap and I worry why it doesn’t quote the bit rate and sample rate supported…(?) I am currently using a Topping D10 DAC which I picked up for £60 as a high quality converter with the advantage that the display tells me the sample rate I am receiving. 👍

abacus

The Berringer is a good quality interface for the money https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0A31 but is limited to 48 KHz (A common rate used in professional studios) so you will need to spend more if you want to go for 192Khz. (Bear in mind there is very little music available at that level (And most users couldn’t tell the difference in a double blind test between Hi-res and CD quality particularly when streaming) plus the biggest effect on the sound is how it is mastered in the studio. (Don’t rely on numbers as an indication of sound quality)
Do a search for an audio interface on professional music stores and you will find a wide selection available that give much better performance at a cheaper price then one that is supposedly designed just for HI-Fi. (Focusrite are good value for money and have a wide selection, just make sure whichever interface you choose is compatible with your phone)
As an addition if you can send the cable you bought back for a refund, do so, as a £10 cable from Amazon or a professional music store will give identical performance and you will have more to spend on an audio interface.
Have fun

Bill

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Welcome @damianoski

If im understanding correctly you want to play music from your laptop through USB but the hi-fi has no USB correct?

What has been mentioned above is all so confusing and convoluted not to mention messy IMO.

Regardless of what formate you want to listen to if the DAC is capable shove the best bit rate your music is recorded in straight into it and enjoy.

This can be done so much cleaner and smaller with not too much thinking, but you will have to forgo internal DAC in the Mazantz which is no bad thing and it will sound better TBH. Not because the dac is bad in Marantz just it's in an electrically noisy environment leading to a, well you get the idea.

Just buy yourself one of the Audioquest dragonfly's they range from 100-300 quid not much difference between them and they will decode every format under the sun including MQA. Job done. Can be used with both phone and laptop. This will allow you to play locally stored files and stream from whatever service you want.

Either that or buy a dedicated streamer like a chrome cast audio if you can still find one though they getting quite expensive on the used market but can be still had for 40quid if you're quick. prices are starting to creep up to around £140.

Just a thought is all.

green-gf

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi - what progress have you made with this since posting your question last year? I'm exploring a similar thing with my PM6006 amp, needing a Linear PCM input. Thanks, Geoff

Tinman1952

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts