Marantz pm6007 or NR 1200...or other

Jose Lopes

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Hello all.

My first post here.

I have an old Musical Fidelity Electra E10 with a Bluesound node 2i connected and attached to my old floorspeakers DALI Blue 6006.

I want to upgrade my Musical Fidelity amplifier and I was thinking of Marantz PM 6007 or NR1200.

Do you think this is a good trade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I doubt it, that MF was/is a nice machine! If it's working properly none of those Marantz amps will sound better, only have more features.
For sound improvement I'd be looking at upgrading the speakers and allocate as much money as possible for that purpose.

Jose Lopes

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi

I doubt it, that MF was/is a nice machine! If it's working properly none of those Marantz amps will sound better, only have more features.
For sound improvement I'd be looking at upgrading the speakers and allocate as much money as possible for that purpose.

Many thanks for your answer.
Probably you are right.
I have another par of old floorspeakers (Jamo Concert C605) and those ones sound much better...
Do you have any recommendations?

Once again thanks for your help! :)

Reactions: GroeneLeeuw

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
You´re welcome!

I had MF in the past (A3 integrated) with Sonus Faber Grand Piano (the originals) which I liked a lot together.
Not familiar with current Sonus Faber speakers or how they sound but it´s an idea.
If you like your Dalis maybe you want to have a look at their current offerings (Opticon or higher) or anything else you might fancy and are able to check/listen, actually. Your MF is able to drive many different speakers well so you have plenty of options.

D

Deleted member 116933

I agree with @GroeneLeeuw that none of those will be an upgrade to your current amp for the reasons stated BUT I also don't prescribe to spending as much as physically possible of speakers either. Especially without knowing what it is about your current setup, you don't like, or is it that you just fancy a change ie I notice you're looking at all in one the NR 1200 so may be the idea of less boxes?

Id argue that spending the same budget on speakers won't yeild any improvments either! even though speaker tech has moved a little over the years (some will argue lot but thats different argument for another time) but back in the day 500 quid would buy alot of speaker for the money and would possibly be 1k today if not more with inflation.

To truly better your system i reckon you're looking at spending 2 maybe 3k rrp, if you dont have that budget id leave well along or look secound hand

Jose Lopes

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
I agree with @GroeneLeeuw that none of those will be an upgrade to your current amp for the reasons stated BUT I also don't prescribe to spending as much as physically possible of speakers either. Especially without knowing what it is about your current setup, you don't like, or is it that you just fancy a change ie I notice you're looking at all in one the NR 1200 so may be the idea of less boxes?

Id argue that spending the same budget on speakers won't yeild any improvments either! even though speaker tech has moved a little over the years (some will argue lot but thats different argument for another time) but back in the day 500 quid would buy alot of speaker for the money and would possibly be 1k today if not more with inflation.

To truly better your system i reckon you're looking at spending 2 maybe 3k rrp, if you dont have that budget id leave well along or look secound hand

Thanks for your comments :)
I've bought my current equipment to a friend, second hand, and I didn´t at any time had the chance to test other equipments.
I like it, but I still have the the feeling that, for a low budget, I can find some equipment more up-to-date and with more features.
Probably, to get the level of equipment similar to the one I have, actualy I must spend a lot of money, and the difference will not be significant.
I must test other equipments to focus my ideias :(

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for your comments :)
I've bought my current equipment to a friend, second hand, and I didn´t at any time had the chance to test other equipments.
I like it, but I still have the the feeling that, for a low budget, I can find some equipment more up-to-date and with more features.
Probably, to get the level of equipment similar to the one I have, actualy I must spend a lot of money, and the difference will not be significant.
I must test other equipments to focus my ideias :(

That can be the problem buying second hand Maybe when you can, scout out few local dealers and have a play for a few hours and see what you like. Talk with them about what you want and they will help guide you.

Heck you might just walk out with a pair of Sonos play 5s will certainly have more features but great sound to boot! Less boxes as well or go a more traditional route like what you have now. There’s no wrong no right just what works for you.

The problem is your kit is quite capable but doesn’t matter if you don’t like it

Jose Lopes

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
That can be the problem buying second hand Maybe when you can, scout out few local dealers and have a play for a few hours and see what you like. Talk with them about what you want and they will help guide you.

Heck you might just walk out with a pair of Sonos play 5s will certainly have more features but great sound to boot! Less boxes as well or go a more traditional route like what you have now. There’s no wrong no right just what works for you.

The problem is your kit is quite capable but doesn’t matter if you don’t like it

You are quite right, but here I don´t have to many local dealers were I can test another equipments.
There's one (IMACUSTICA) but almost all the equipments have a very high price.
That's why I bought second hand equipment.
I've added a sub Jamo s200 to increase a little bit the bass and it sounds good but treble sounds a little muffled.
I will try to test some other equipment to clarify doubts.
Once again, thanks a lot for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts