Marantz PM6005 pairing with Dynaudio Emit M20 good?

OldWanderer

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello dear What Hifi forum users,

I recently purchased a Marantz PM6005 amplifier and am looking for new speakers, of which the Dynaudio Emit M20 caught my attention. This is the first time I'm investing what is a considerable amount of money for me into an audio system, so I'm looking to get a good deal out of it. Do any of you have any experience with this pairing and are willing to share your opinions on it or have different recommendations within my budget of 700 euros for speakers?

To add a few details which might be very helpful. The room in which the system resides is quite small and I won't be have the volume any higher than 12 o'clock. I enjoy a wide variety of music.

I'm very grateful for any responses I get. Thank you all in advance.

Dom

I don't know about the marantz but the M20 speakers are very good, best at sound effects and room filling sound, though don't have the bass scale of the Mezzo 6 I used to own. Good luck.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
+1

When I was recently auditionin passive speakers, they were about my favourite for the money (although generous discounts should be available on request). In the end I went for used AVI, but M20 are a very solid choice.

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
When I auditioned Dynaudio, I did the troika of Emit M10, M20 and Excite X1. Here in the UK, it's from £500 to £600, and then £800. No clue about prices in Europe. All three Dynaudios were great, and obviously What Hi-Fi loves the M10 and M20 (five stars), but I was most impressed with the X14 (4 stars only).

if you can push your budget, try the X14 as well. I was a bit worried as to whether the Excite X14 would be too much excitement in the long run (listening fatigue), but in the forum here it was suggested that I didn't need to worry.

Brief anecdote to make my case -- In the shop, the wife asks: "How much are these?" (Pointing at the M10.) I say: "500 quid." "And the other ones?" (Pointing at the X14) I say: "800 quid." I was worried about her response, but she said: "The difference is worth 300 pounds." Q.E.D.

But I am still searching for better options. I haven't listened, for instance, to Focal's Aria 906. These tend to be loved by their owners a lot.

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to the revive this thread a bit :) I have been testing the Dynaudio X14 at home and I also auditioned the Emit M20 at my local dealer. The M20 is very nice sounding. Large scale sound, full and organic. Upper bass can be a bit boomy if they are placed near the wall. Unfortunately this is a limitation in my case. My living room is 14 x 20 ft and I can only have about 9 inches space between the back of the speaker and the wall. I fear the M20 might boom in this environment so if the X14 do not work out I might try a home demo for these. The X14 had a small dent on the woofer ring so they need to be returned. Sadly I don't think they are broken in for me to conclude on their sound. They currently have 25 hours on them. At this stage they sound clean and very controlled. Definitely less full and organic than the M20. The high frequencies are a little bit hot (emphasised) which is great for low to medium level listening but might become tiring. All this may change with more break in so I would be reluctant to say this is the end sound.

Regarding matching amp: I heard them with an Arcam A29. Source was a Rega Dac-r (when tested the M20) and a Naim Dac V1 at home (X14). I think the warm amp (e.g. Marantz) will be fine with the M20 provided a punchy source. The Rega Dac-R was a bit rich for the M20. I would expect a Naim Dac V1 to help control bass boom in that scenario.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts