Marantz PM6005/CD6005: what DAC and cables?

sidus

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have both the PM6005 and the CD6005, what DAC should I use? The one in the CD6005 and then use the analog output or should I go out with the digital and then convert in the PM6005? And what cables do you sugget me? Thanks a lot!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
sidus said:
The one in the CD6005 and then use the analog output

Yes

sidus said:
And what cables do you sugget me?

Wouldn't spend a fortune: something like Atlas Element or Chord Crimson would be more than good enough

Out of interest, have you tried this or do you have a technical or theoretical reason for saying this....... :?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
davedotco said:
Out of interest, have you tried this or do you have a technical or theoretical reason for saying this....... :?

Yes, or I wouldn't be making the suggestions.

Then perhaps you could have said so, saved me the trouble of asking and yourself the trouble of a sarky reply.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I think what Dave means is would you care to explain why the DAC in the CD6005 should be used. Personally I wouldn't have thought there'd be much in it, I wouldn't even be surprised if the two units actually had the same DAC, in which case it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.

Anyway, the correct answer to the OP is of course, try both and see which you prefer.

sidus said:
I have both the PM6005 and the CD6005, what DAC should I use? The one in the CD6005 and then use the analog output or should I go out with the digital and then convert in the PM6005? And what cables do you sugget me? Thanks a lot!

Hi sidus

Try connecting the CD6005 via its digital and analogue outputs to the PM6005 to see which one you prefer the performance of.

As for analogue cables i'll recommend using the interconnects supplied with the CD6005 and for digital connection a basic coax/optical cable which you should also be able to pick up from local electrical stores or market for little outlay.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe the DACs are identical so I would use the one in the amp to save using the analogue connection. If you need a USB input you will have to use the CD player as the amp doesn't have one.

Chris

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I wouldn't even be surprised if the two units actually had the same DAC, in which case it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.

Anyway, the correct answer to the OP is of course, try both and see which you prefer.

Yes, both use the CS4398 DAC, so the performance should be similar. However, I just preferred the sound with the d-to-a conversion being done in the player rather than the amp, though of course YMMV.

As you say, the OP really should try both combinations. I only gave my own opinion, as one should assume is the case with most posts here. Few answers given here are definitive, with the possible exception of davedotco's, of course.

Again, however, I would have thought the need to audition was a given, so didn't feel the need to state it. In future I will try to remember to temper my answers with YMMV, IMO, IME, IIRC and AFAIAC.

Rick, of course, is similarly correct in his placeholder comments, although they of course are only his opinion, and subject to audition and the OP's personal preference and experience.

So, if I may try again...

sidus said:
The one in the CD6005 and then use the analog output

If I may suggest, bein' ever so 'umble like, and makin' it clear this is merely what I 'ave 'eard when I essayed it meself, but of course I may be wrong, and am only tryin' to 'elp 'ee, kind gentleman, I'd 'ave to say, all fings considered and again I say purely in my experience, yes.

sidus said:
And what cables do you sugget me?

Again, my good sir, that's a fine puzzler 'ee've set me, but I 'ave to say I quite liked the Atlas Element and Chord Crimson cables, but then 'oo am I, not even fit to produce a 'umble rag from me wescot pocket to polish up the golden ears of those much wiser and versed in the ways of the world than me.

'Course, I could be wrong, and you may find the cables supplied in the box by those fine and charitable people at Marantz may be better than any other in the world, and worth a king's ransom in the sheer magnificence of their sound. Or you could follow the ways of Master Rick of Derby and, casting aside the blandishments of those determined to sell on 'ere or lure you to their splendid emporia, select instead two pieces of wet string, which may delight you more.

As I say, only tryin' to 'elp, guvner an' no mistakin'. No offence meant to a fine gentleman such as yourself (wanders off muttering Airs of Old London Town under his breath)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
I don't think I have ever seen a hedgehog quite as constipated........ :?

Out of interest, have you tried this or do you have a technical or theoretical reason for saying this.......
confused.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
davedotco said:
I don't think I have ever seen a hedgehog quite as constipated........ :?

Out of interest, have you tried this or do you have a technical or theoretical reason for saying this.......
confused.gif

Entirely technical.

The evidence is in the post above.

My original question was quite genuine, just wondered if you knew something about the way the two components were built or setup that would make one connection method or dac better than the other.

Empirical data is fine too, I was just interested.

Not questioning your manhood or anything........

sidus

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
That's serendipity. I was looking for some information and I've also found a lot of fun. :D Anyway thank you so much guys!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
davedotco said:
While we are on the subject, perhaps you are in a position to answer the age old question........... :?

Of course: as with most things, very, very carefully

I remember asking the same thing of a chap who thought he was a tortoise.

That was a while ago................

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
I remember asking the same thing of a chap who thought he was a tortoise.

That was a while ago................

SWYDT. The real answer to that one is, of course, when the Blue Peter presenter takes you out of your box in the spring.

hamid_hifi

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
sidus said:

Use the analog output of the cd player to the analog CD input of the amp...Yes both have the same DAC...But having DACs far from the source's inside power supply and clock circuit will cause some more"JITTER".

Also on the cd6005 the HDAM circuit is separated with the DAC circuit placed on a diffrent board with dedicated power supply(same with cd6004) while on pm6005 theyre all placed inside a box(suggested from official pictures) So by using the cd player's DAC there would be less digital circuity noise/distortion...

See the manual of both or email marantz to see which way they prefer.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have question about connection of Marantz CD6005 toYamaha RX-A830 AVR. What connection type would be the best:

- Analog (using Marantz dac),

- Digital (using Yamaha dac)?

If analog, then what cables would suit the system the best?

At the moment I am using Audioquest Evergreen analog interconnects. Are they good enough or I should change them (improve interconnects)?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts