Marantz PM6005 and Dali Zensor 3 too loud??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

We will get to the bottom of this if it kills us (we haven't reached 100+ posts yet, which we once did sorting a problem).
There's a suggestion it may be your amp.
Perhaps you can clarify that in all your scenarios it was your 6005 and never theirs being used.

We will get to the bottom of this if it kills us (we haven't reached 100+ posts yet, which we once did sorting a problem).
Perhaps you can clarify that in all your scenarios it was your 6005 and never theirs being used.
Scenario 3 again mentions using a different amps phono stage and this worked fine which does tend to make his amp the culprit

Reactions: Gray

LukeKngs

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site

I can clarify it was my 6005 that was used.

I appreciate everyone's help so far, glad it's not just me pulling my hair out!

I am 100% certain I have the basic primary E and not the phono. I've checked every inch of the turntable and it does not have the line/phono out switch.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I can clarify it was my 6005 that was used.

I appreciate everyone's help so far, glad it's not just me pulling my hair out!

I am 100% certain I have the basic primary E and not the phono. I've checked every inch of the turntable and it does not have the line/phono out switch.
That concludes the enquiries.
From all that you've said, your Marantz amp has an intermittent fault.
Direct from your cartridge, It's phono input has been variously OK and unbearably loud.
Via a working phono preamp, its line input has been the same, OK and unbearable.

As you've proved, intermittent faults are the worst. They don't do service engineers any favours either - problems can be tricky to find and, sometimes, to reliably cure.
On the other hand, the cause could be very obvious on internal inspection.
If you decide to get it looked at, I advise you to try for somewhere that will do free estimates.
Importantly, check that there would be a guarantee on any repair that's done.

I don't think it's intermittent. He clearly start in scenario 3 that it only worked in ' different amps phono input '
This is the only time it has actually worked as it should, unless he has not written scenario 3 accurately.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's intermittent. He clearly start in scenario 3 that it only worked in ' different amps phono input '
This is the only time it has actually worked as it should, unless he has not written scenario 3 accurately.

Scenario 3 was with a different amp.
Which backs up the theory it is his Marantz.

The repairman managed to have his amp working fine. Intermittent? Unless jjbomber is onto something.

Use one of the other inputs. If it sounds fine the deck must have a built in preamp.
I think the OP might have found it by now if it did, it is a small switch however. Still waiting for him to get back regarding the type of power cable it has that will determine if it is the Phono version of not.
I don't believe he has reported back yet on what happens if he connects turntable directly to the Aux input either.

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
If the volume is too loud on the phono input and on a line input using an external phono preamp then the issue could be in the amplification stage of the Marantz rather than the internal phono stage. I don’t know if this model has a discrete headphone amp or uses the main one but try listening through headphones and see if the problem persists. Either way I think we can rule out the turntable (assuming it’s the model without built in preamp) and also rule out the speakers.

could also be an issue with the volume control pot. The volume control is essentially an attenuator which if faulty could be letting full(er) signal through. The volume using the phone through line input or Bluetooth may not be noticed if the phone doesn’t have its volume at maximum, so outputting a lower than line level signal.

TrevC

could also be an issue with the volume control pot. The volume control is essentially an attenuator which if faulty could be letting full(er) signal through. The volume using the phone through line input or Bluetooth may not be noticed if the phone doesn’t have its volume at maximum, so outputting a lower than line level signal.

Nope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts