Marantz PM6004/CD6004 MA BX2 -opinions

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
About 12 years I owned a cd 63ki sig and pm 66ki sig with b&b 601s, I sold all this lot about 6 years ago as I got into home cinema and didn't have much space and I started listening to music on my mac. I have now got the space for some decent hi fi but my budget is about £800.

Im looking at the PM6004/CD6004/BX2 combo (from Peter Tyson for £699) then the rest of the budget on Chord Crimson interconnect and Chord Silve Carnival, I already have some atacama stands, what does everyone think to this set up, I know all the gear gets good reviews. My music is varied but mainly indie some dance and popular stuff I've Adele, script, lady gaga.

I loved my ki sig combo but will ths system be adequate and better than my mac set up?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I'd say at that price go for it

All those mentioned are very good and Marantz/Monitor Audio sound good together.

Other suggestions would be the Rotel RA04SE or NAD C326BEE for amps; the CD player I'd stick with the Marantz. Other speaers to consider would be the Dali Lektor 2's or possibly the Dali Zensor 1's & the superb Arcaydis DM1's (my friend has these with a NAD C326BEE and old Audiolab 8000 CD player).

Another tip would be to mass load the stands as well; will help massively with the sound :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes my stands are already sand filled they have been in the garage or the last six years so I'm glad I kept them, thanks for the advice I'm gonna hit the buy button sometime this weekend!

Tim2010

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
If you want to use your computer for audio playback you should consider the Marantz KI Pearl Lite sa-cd player for the DAC (for usb up to 24bit/96kHz, for coax up to 24/192kHz.

In your place I wouldn't buy too expensive interconnects, some good affordable ones: blue jeans cable etc.).

You can find the KI Pearl Lite priced down from time to time.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Cheapest I can find the Ki pearl lite is £599 so,it is out of my budget really, I have looked at streaming from my mac, I may do so in the future for a 2nd system (I'm a little bit peeved that all of my music from iTunes is all at 192kbps so I buy CDs now )

A

Anonymous

I stream via Airplay to my Apple TV2 and that then via my MF M1 DAC to my amp and it sounds superb

16/48 upscaled to 192; sounds fantastic in my system and ATV's are fairly cheap now too so could be another option.

You dont have to fork out hundreds for a DAC; the Lindy DAC at £40 worked very well until I got my MF M1 DAC!

Tim2010

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Maybe wait a few months until you have a little more budget (I had to be very patient to, but glad I waited for the right moment).

A few cd players (Marantz, NAD,...) have a DAC function: USB-entry, Coax, Spdif,.... You can save yourself a DAC if you want to use your pc for music playback.

I prefer B&W685's with Marantz midrange gear.

At this point with your budget, I would use the standard-interconnects + standard speakercable and focus on the hifi-components only. Cables are easily upgradable afterwards ....

If you want to add your PC to your stereo I would wait for a cd/DAC-combo.

If you're interested in CD/Ipod only than the Marantz 6004 is highly recommended. Is there a huge difference with the 6003-series? Some shops are selling the old stock for about £150-200.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My budget is around £800 max to include interconnects and cables, I think the the combo from Peter Tyson is great value gonna go and listen to it today, may try a few different speakers as well.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My budget is around £800 max to include interconnects and cables, I think the the combo from Peter Tyson is great value gonna go and listen to it today, may try a few different speakers as well.

A

Anonymous

It is a good combo indeed but I'd still see if you can try other amps.

The Yamaha AS500 could be worth looking at as well if they have one in!

Would you consider 2nd hand/ex-demo or do you want all new?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes I may try the Yamaha amp, but I like the look of Matching separates, taking a few CDs in that I know well and will let my ears decide!

A

Anonymous

Looks can be deceiving
smiley-tongue-out.gif

A

Anonymous

It is a good combo but mixing things up can really alter/open up the soundstage at times...

Try the QED silver anniversary speaker cable as well if you can & defiantly the NAD C326BEE amp if they've got one.

Hi stevebrock

In addition to the C326BEE, the C545BEE is also worth bearing in mind as this NAD combination works very well with BX2 speakers.

Btw, as for cabling a basic interconnect and either standard 79 strand or at a push 500 strand OFC speaker cables are also worth considering as I feel these will be more than good enough.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have just got home with my new PM6004/CD6004 BX2 combo, set it up and playing Massive Attacks Mezzanine......Crikey sounds flipping amazing! Can't wait to explore all my CD collection again!

I did try the Yamaha and nad amps, but really enjoyed the marantz combo, it's blowing me away as we speak, can't believe the whole set up only cost me shy of £800 that includes the Crimson plus interconnect and Silver Carnival terminated with chord plugs and heat shrink.

Looking forward to an evening of listening

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
In all honesty I couldn't tell the difference between the marantz and Yamaha, tried the nad and it sounded a bit bright and I preferred the sound of the marantz, however the nad still sounded great, I'm pleased with what I bought....very happy tonight

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts