Marantz PM6003 vs PM6004 vs NAD C326BEE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of assembling my first HiFi, and have narrowed the amplifier choice down to the Marantz PM6003 vs PM6004 vs NAD C326BEE. I can get the PM6003 or C326BEE new on clearance for about £150, or the PM6004 for about £250. I have a Technics 1210, and have not purchased any speakers yet.

I am leaning towards the Marantz because from what I've read, the NADs are quite bassy, and the Marantz have a phono stage built in. I listen to a variety of music, although mainly stuff like Simon and Garfunkel, Eric Clapton and Billy Joel. I guess I'm answering my questions myself, so it boils down to, is it worth spending £100 extra on the PM6004 over the PM6003? What are the advantages of the PM6004. The forums I've been on say it depends on the speaker combination, but since I don't have speakers yet, it doesn't help.

Thanks very much!

Cinnabar

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've had the C326BEE for about a year now, and I think it is a fantastic amp. I picked mine up from RS for £180 clearance and have never looked back. At that price, it's a steal. At £150 it's ridiculously good value. I haven't found the amp to be too bass heavy at all, just solid in the low frequencies and capable of handling them properly. But, hwoever good the amp is, matching the speakers is going to be key. However much you spend on the amp, if you dont put a significant investment into the speakers the system isn't going to really sign. I paired mine with the MA RX1s. It took them a while to settle down, but I think they've hit their stride now, burn-in has really taken teh slightly harsh edge of the treble and they are sounding silky. I think teh best thing you can do is plump for the C326BEE and take it along to a shop so that you can try a range of speakers with it and then tailor your sound to what you like best.

matthewpiano

The NAD is not bass heavy as long as you match it with the right partnering components. It also benefits from the bridging links between pre and main sections being replaced by better quality cable jumpers. I use Audioquest amp jumpers and they made the amp sound cleaner and tighter all-round.

A

Anonymous

Thanks cinnabar;matt,

I'm going to go listen to the amps at an RS on Friday, although I daresay I'm leaning towards the NAD due to your positive feedback and the fact that it'll be cheaper even when combined with an Azur 551P and the jumper upgrade. Will post an update, and will probably be back here for speaker advice :)

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Just as an update, I auditioned both amps (6004 and C326) with a number of speakers at the local RicherSounds. I bought the NAD C326 on clearance, along with a pair of MA BX2s. The combination sounds very very smooth, not bass heavy at all (atleast not to me). Simon and Garfunkel sounded dreamy and Spoon sounded sharp :)

Just in case you're here because you're indecisive between the NAD and Marantz sound, and have been reading a lot of opinions online, there isn't a substitute for going to the store with a couple of CDs, and an open mind!

Thanks for the help!

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
can anyone tell me what the NAD C326BEE sounds like in comparison to the other NAD models such as:
C355BEE, C356BEE, C370BEE and any other more expensive options.

Im primarily concerned with sound quality with a same speaker setup.
What do the the more expensive models give except maybe power?
Other hifi magazine's provide much more praise for the NAD, particularly for classical music.
for example, the NAD c370BEE and other models in that price range and above.

Furthermore, Ive heard that the NAD c370BEE has overheating problems.
Something I may need to consider when purchasing second hand.

bharat411 said:
Just in case you're here because you're indecisive between the NAD and Marantz sound, and have been reading a lot of opinions online, there isn't a substitute for going to the store with a couple of CDs, and an open mind!

Well said, and I'm glad you did that and got the sound you wanted!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts